DT880 32 Ohms Vs DT880 600 Ohms and more...
Oct 7, 2010 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

TheDead

Head-Fier

Prologue :
I had my Sennheiser HD330's for about 12 years and bought them doing an A/B testing of under 99$CAD at the time.
Until recently, they were the best sounding headphones I tried. They are now broken and the cushions have literally disappeared under the fabric (!?), repairs fees threw me on the weeb for a replacement and I've fallen on Head-Fi (more then a few times
wink.gif
 ) in my quest. Also bought IEMs (RE0, now #1 in HeadFi's IEMs) and closed HP (MB Quart QP 805 HS, supposed to be better then DT770's) all because of you guys! 
wink.gif

Before you ask, yes, I read the [INFORMATION] thread comparing the DT770/DT880/DT990, about five times.
Still, I need informed advice from HeadFiers who tried both amped and unamped.

Please note that it took me long enough (like a month) to finally pin point the model that I think I will enjoy the most so please do not refer me to the A700/AD700/DT990... 
tongue.gif

The meat of the story :
One of my main problem choosing is that the [INFORMATION] thread mentions the 32Ohms are most similar to the 600Ohms but state major differences. Also confusing is that the www.headphone.com frequency graphs show the DT800/32 and 600 to be virtually identical *but* the DT770/32 and 600 ones have MAJOR differences. See here : =953&graphID[]=2751&graphID[]=2231&graphID[]=2131]graphs 
confused.gif
. Also note that the DT880/32/600 have more bass than DT770/600?

Q1.
I know people who bought the DT880/600 will say they are better but, having lived through flaming forums of fanboys in the video game industry, is hard for me to "believe". A lot of people have to convince themselves and others that they made the 'right' choice. (i.e. I have a XBox hence it is better then the PS3 or Wii. And vice-versa). I guess we could call it the 'seeking approval of peers' syndrome. Leaving any bias opinions aside and keeping it simple, on bass,mids,highs,detail and soundstage how do these two compare, amped and unamped. Did anybody compared them in blind tests?

Q2.
Audio shops where I can try HP are quite limited, but still I was able to test drive these HPs in a HeadFi-Noob fashion: Senn's PX100 (bloomy?), HD280 (could be HD228's... too much bass, mids details lost), HD555 (nice but felt confined(?)), HD595 (airier and mode detailed  but not worth the extra cash over 555's), HD650 (liked the best but too expensive), HD800 (didn't like, felt too flat/tin), Grado's S60 (nice and clear but tried with acoustics only, read everywhere about the no-bass), S80 (liked the S60's better, don't know exactly why), S225 (liked but only the demo left and priced too high, also tested with acoustics only, bass-less(?)). As you can see, I can't try the Beyers anywhere, so do they sound anything like one of the headphones I tried, especially the HD650, =953&graphID[]=853&graphID[]=863]graph seems to say yes?

Q3.
I do plan to get a Xonar STX in the future
L3000.gif
 but for now it's an Audigy 2 ZS or ZenMicro or Logitech Z680 HP jack or Yamaha U50 (USB soundcard/amp).
I do not have a portable HP amp and do not have the money for one other than a Fiio E5 or the likes. From what I read, I think CMOY or CMOY V2 would be the better bet? 

Also note that a major decision maker was Kool Bubba Ice's Base web site stating there superiority in gaming because or the ridiculously wide sound stage. Confort is not that important to me but with he Beyer's it seems like the icing on the velour cake. 
dt880smile.png

Edits : 2010-10-10 - Corrected typos added descriptions.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 47
I find it hard to believe the differences between the 880 models as well. To quote Marcus from headphonic the differences between the DT880 models can be attributed to different test results:

"Or a difference between headphone batches.
Or different performance characteristics based on the amp, which would suggest that pairing the difference impedance headphones with different amps may yield different results, whether positive or negative can't be said.

Bottom line: when it comes to audio, it's impossible to have a product that everybody prefers, so people claiming the 600ohm 880 is superior are full of it, chances are 99% of them haven't even heard or compared the 250ohm version."

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 47
I have heard all the DT880 models out there and the 600Ohm version is the best, it's just that the differences aren't as huge as some people make them out to be. The midrange for example is fullest on the 600Ohm model, but not lush. It's still recessed to a point, but not as much as much recession as the 250Ohm model. The highs are also smoother on the 600Ohm model, but yet again they are still prominent.

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 47
Thats exactly the thing. Is it worth the 150-200$ amp for the 600Ohm just for something that you cannot notice unless you compare them within the same minute.What I want most I guess is a sound making you feel that you're there in the concert hall or the piano bar or whatever. Thus making detail, sound stage and I guess impact(?) the selling points. Would the 32Ohm  spoiled the party?

I listen to ALL music styles except pop country, screaming and white noise.
wink.gif
 I have a preference for Trance/Techno/Jungle Beat. Prodigy/Andy Hunter/Chemical Brothers,etc.

Having 99% quality of the 600Ohm and be able to run off an iPod with the 32Ohm would be SO perfect.

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 47

Yes the 32Ohm DT880, despite it's Ohm rating, still needs an amp IMO. They need more juice than the average 32Ohm headphone. They are however easier to power than the 600Ohm and 250Ohm versions.

Quote:
As far as I am aware, all versions of the DT880 (even the 32 ohm) need an amp.

___________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________

The 32Ohm versions seem to have a thicker sound that is closer to the 600Ohm versions, at least that what my ears are telling me. The thing is the 32Ohm ones lack the refined sound that the 600Ohm variation have.

You could get a cheap OTL amp for $150. I understand what you are saying though and if you have not heard the other versions of the DT880 you would not know the difference in sound.

Quote:
Thats exactly the thing. Is it worth the 150-200$ amp for the 600Ohm just for something that you cannot notice unless you compare them within the same minute.What I want most I guess is a sound making you feel that you're there in the concert hall or the piano bar or whatever. Thus making detail, sound stage and I guess impact(?) the selling points. Would the 32Ohm  spoiled the party?

I listen to ALL music styles except pop country, screaming and white noise.
wink.gif
 I have a preference for Trance/Techno/Jungle Beat. Prodigy/Andy Hunter/Chemical Brothers,etc.

Having 99% quality of the 600Ohm and be able to run off an iPod with the 32Ohm would be SO perfect.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 47
*cry* after weeks of searching it has come to this...
Damn you Head-Fi... my wallet cries in pain!

Still, I have sensitive hears, I NEVER listen at loud volumes. Could I USE the 600Ohm version from a ZenMicro, Audigy 2 ZS or Laptop?
Or will it be inaudible and whisper like?

Everyone tells that the DT880's are really scalable, does that scale start at 0? 
basshead.gif

Otherwise would a Fiio E5 help in any way? At least not make is worst.

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 47
FYI, even my iPod Classic can power the 600 ohm version louder than I want
dt880smile.png

Quote:
*cry* after weeks of searching it has come to this...
Damn you Head-Fi... my wallet cries in pain!

Still, I have sensitive hears, I NEVER listen at loud volumes. Could I USE the 600Ohm version from a ZenMicro, Audigy 2 ZS or Laptop?
Or will it be inaudible and whisper like?

Everyone tells that the DT880's are really scalable, does that scale start at 0? 
basshead.gif

Otherwise would a Fiio E5 help in any way? At least not make is worst.

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 47
dude, trust.... that equipment u are buying or considering buying to power the 600s is POINTLESS....

no way anything that you have listed will properly power the beyer 600s.... I liked the overall sig of my 990-250s but they were nothing compared to when i built my m3 amp for them... there is more detail and soundstage and they are very pleasant to listen to...

seriously, you're contemplating putting down 300 buckeroos for good phones that are gunna sound crap compared to others that will run fine off most sources...

The cmoy amp is a interesting and cheap DIY project, but my beyers sounded crap on them... it really did nothing for them...

unless u build a decent amp or score a great deal second hand, you will have to spend serious money into amping for phones that require it... like anything you're experience is as good as its weakest link, and running an expensive high end 600 ohm can thru $9 worth of components and a 9v is nuts.

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 47
Thanks wankski, that is exactly why I started this thread, to not buy anything useless. Pekingduck told me exactly what I wanted to know; that they will be "usable".
I don't want to buy cheap stuff, I want the best I can afford. I WILL buy an good amp and/or a Xonar STX in the next months more or less.

Thing is I am alone with two kids, a car and a house. I have to think long term. I had my previous headphones 12 years and plan on having the Beyers DT8800/600Ohm at leas 10 years.

I am patient and can wait 6-12 months after the new release craze to buy video games at 10-15$ in the bargain bin. Add to that that I cannot spend 70 hours on one so this delay also gives me access to the faqs/patches/bug fixes that the previous "generation" discovered/suffered.

Like the saying goes "Bass things come to those who wait!" HA HA ha ha..   erm, OK I slaped myself upside the head you don't have to do it.
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 47
Sorry pekingduck, just that it's not about loudness. It's about the best possible sound quality you can get out of them. When my DT880 / 600ohm phones arrived I plugged them into an ibasso D4, which was all I had at the time, and while plenty sufficient for my Denons and Grados, the D4, let alone an ipod, did not and will not do these cans justice. Fortunately my MAD Ear+ HD arrived soon after and the DT880s miraculously turned into an amazing pair of musical brilliance equipped with all the fullness and soundstage one could want for the price range. In fact, properly amped, these cans are a steal. Not properly amped, they are junk.

Quote:
FYI, even my iPod Classic can power the 600 ohm version louder than I want
dt880smile.png

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 47
I agree with you but the OP was specifically asking about volume level. He was pretty much aware of the fact that the DT880's require a good amp (at least that's what I felt)
wink.gif

Quote:
Sorry pekingduck, just that it's not about loudness. It's about the best possible sound quality you can get out of them. When my DT880 / 600ohm phones arrived I plugged them into an ibasso D4, which was all I had at the time, and while plenty sufficient for my Denons and Grados, the D4, let alone an ipod, did not and will not do these cans justice. Fortunately my MAD Ear+ HD arrived soon after and the DT880s miraculously turned into an amazing pair of musical brilliance equipped with all the fullness and soundstage one could want for the price range. In fact, properly amped, these cans are a steal. Not properly amped, they are junk.

Oct 9, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 47
i don't think he does... he later went on to say "I WILL buy an good amp and/or a Xonar STX in the next months more or less" intimating that it may be one or the other and that a STX card by itself may be sufficient. It wont.

Put it this way - I was stressing that my mains powered 24v m3 amp might not be sufficient to power the 600ohm variants...

Conclusion: if you are strapped for cash go the decent sound source + phones that don't need amping.... If you are set on the 880-600s you will need a decent source plus a very good amp... Not the best combo for some one thats concerned about saving a few bob... plus for 12months or however long it takes you to acquire this stuff you'll be left with pretty average headphones... Plus say you want to use your 880s to listen to the TV... can't... unless u bring the desktop amp and its got compatible inputs... same for travelling etc

Oct 9, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 47
I do know they require a good amp... I meant in the next months I will buy one or both and the other maybe a year off.
I'm puzzled though, I read that the STX supports 600Ohm output via a three way setting in the configuration panel. Will it not be sufficient?

Wankski, since you seem to have tried lots of stuff, want would in your opinion be :
a) The cheapest portable amp that would make the DT880/600Ohm sound "good".
b) and I don'r really want to go there but... the most comparable HPs to the DT800/600Ohm that do NOT require an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back