DT880-250 Setup for Gaming/Some Music/Movies
Dec 11, 2010 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

BLKMeSa

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Newbie to these forums, but I've been lurking around here for the past 3-4 weeks reading anything and everything on higher end HPs/amps/dacs, etc.  My main priority is gaming (very serious into Counter Strike Source), but want a HP that will excel at music and movies too.  I tried really hard to narrow down my choices of HPs to 2, then to 1:  Audio Technica ATH AD700s and the Beyer DT880 250 ohm model, then narrowed down to the DT880 due to the following things I've gathered:

1. DT880 - better build, fit, look, better overall ability for music/movies vs. AD700.  Nice fit in between the closed 770s and the wide open and bassy 990s.  Great sound stage and positioning abilities for FPS games like CSS.  Cons:  hard to drive.
  2. AD700 -massive soundstage and excel at PC games like CSS, many find them large on head, comfy though, but they move around a bit too easily.  Appearance is so so with the purple on the side (not that I care so much), and they're very weak on bass.  No real size adjustment for the HP, just the 3d "wings".

My plan:  The DT880s will stay at home and will be used for the PC.  Mobile use will be my Shure SE530s.

So now here are some questions/concerns/history:

1. I searched and searched on this site and many others, and did find a lot of information, but I would like some direct feedback/opinions on my specific plans.
  2. I phoned around all over my city (Vancouver), and I couldn't find even one place that carried either of my choices (well, now it's down to 1, and the DT880 is nowhere to be found).  All of the salespeople tried to push me into completely different directions of course.   
  3. I wanted to mention the lack of stores that carry higher end HPs since I won't really have a chance to listen to my top pick (I'm going by the many reviews and descriptions I've read about the DT880).
  4. Finding amps/dacs in my area:  I haven't looked yet, so I'm not sure of the selection they have around here.  I could just buy the components on faith and forget about trying stuff out (instead going by recommendations on this site).
  5. Budget note: cost is not really an issue with my future setup (although I don't want to go too crazy on ultra high end stuff - I'd rather get equipment that is more than sufficient to make the DT880s very very nice sounding, and can drive other HPs like the HD650 if I decide to try those out in the future ;P). 
  6. Budget estimate:  DT880s are going to be purchased very soon (I've pretty much made up my mind), so we'll take that out of the equation.  Budget for DAC/AMP/Soundcard?  Not sure - maybe $200-400?  Just a rough guesstimate??
  7. Again, my main uses: primarily PC-only gaming/CSS (I feel positioning and sound stage need to be improved in my setup), but I like music and movies a lot, so they will get lots of use in other areas.
  1. Setup: high end PC, but right now, I'm using on-board Realtek sound (gah!  I know!) via optical out to my Logitech Z-680 speaker console, and that then goes to my Shure SE530s I'm using for gaming.

I've heard varying opinions on PC setup with the DT880s:
  1. Asus Essence STX Sound Card > DT880 250 ohm (some say this powers the DT880 plenty and sounds great, but most say the STX will not be enough).
  2. STX Sound Card > AMP like little dot mkIII or Meier > DT880 (use the DAC on the STX card, then amp with mkIII, etc.).
  3. PC onboard sound out > DAC/AMP combo like iBasso/others? (I really have no idea here) > DT880
  4. PC onboard sound out > separate DAC > separate AMP (tube/SS? Again, no idea) > DT880

There's so much information on this site...it's a bit overwhelming to be honest!  I'm getting swamped.  Any recommendations/links would really be appreciated so I can narrow down my search to a really good combo.

So what do you think would be the best setup for my needs?  Please recommend some components that work well with the DT880.

Also, could you quickly list some advantages and disadvantages to the different models of DT880s? (why do most go with the 250/600 ohm (the 32 OHM seems to be ignored a bit...(maybe that's just the feeling I get - should I stay away from the 32 OHM due to noise issues, etc?), and will I have issues with the 250 if I go with the onboard sound / STX soundcard in place of a standalone DAC?

Much appreciated!  Love this site already.

BLKMeSa

Dec 11, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 35
Bump, so this doesn't get lost...

I'll just make a summary so you don't have to read through that mess:

Looking for good setup for PC with DT880 250 ohm.  60% gaming 40% music/movies (maybe more like 70/30 sometimes).
Current setup: Onboard Realtek sound from Gigabyte X58-UD3R motherboard (optical out) > Logitech Z-680 5.1 console > ShureSE530

Out of the following, what do you think would be best:
  • Asus Essence STX Sound Card > DT880 250 ohm (some say this powers the DT880 plenty and sounds great, but most say the STX will not be enough).
  • STX Sound Card > AMP like little dot mkIII or Meier > DT880 (use the DAC on the STX card, then amp with mkIII, etc.).
  • PC onboard sound out > DAC/AMP combo like iBasso/others? (I really have no idea here) > DT880
  • PC onboard sound out > separate DAC > separate AMP (tube/SS? Again, no idea) > DT880

Budget (no real limits, but would like to keep cost down while having a great sound setup).

Suggestions on DAC/AMP equipment would be great!

Cheers,

BLKMeSa

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 35
Seperate DACs are more for music. Considering you play a lot of games (usually support 5.1 sound), I would get a sound card like the Asus, or even a creative xfi (not very good for music).

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 35
Last time I checked headphones aren't 5.1... 
Using the headphone settings (often Stereo is the same) on soundcards will yield the best results.
I had the DT880 - A terrific headphones for gaming but the LCD-2 best it :)
Used a regular DAC with them, I could pin-point gun fire, enemy talking etc etc..

I would get a DAC/AMP since your'e 880's are serioulsy underpowered.
Something like the Audinst is nice. 

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 35
Right, headphones only simulate 5.1 through soundcard/software tweaks...so that's OK, because I can just use the game's headphones/stereo setting.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Audinst yossi126.  Any others you can recommend?  I do have optical out from my motherboard's onboard sound...would that be better than using the USB port?

Do you think a separate DAC and AMP are necessary, or is the all-in-one solution pretty damn good?

Thanks!

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 35
Another question (I know this has been discussed a lot here, but I have to ask again)...which Ohm version would suit me best?  Which ones can be driven by the ASUS Essence STX (if any)?

Can a little dot mk3 or mk4 drive the 250/600 easily?

Thanks again.

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 35
Just an FYI, Asus soundcards support dolby headphone which simulates surround sound on a stereo system.  Xfi cards have cmss-3d, but in my experience it doesn't work.  It just destroys the sound making everything sound like its coming from a tin can.  

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 35
Thanks.  I've read a bit about Creative's CMSS system, but I'm not really interested in it...if anything it will be dolby for me, or just leave everything alone and go "stereo" setting in the driver.

Any recommendations for my previous questions though?
Which Ohm version would suit me best?
Which OHM versions can be driven by the ASUS Essence STX (if any)?
Can a little dot mk3 or mk4 drive the 250/600 easily?

I was checking out the Audinst HUD-MX1 and it looks like a great solution and high quality.  Anyone know how much it runs.

I'm still sort of on the fence on whether to get the 32, 250, or 600 OHM version.  Grrr....too many choices!

Cheers!

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 35
If your'e going soundcard - 32 ohm
if your'e going tubes - 600 ohm

The Audinst can run all three impedances but the easiest for it would be the 32 or 250.
FYI, I had the little dot 4 se driving my dt880/250 ohm. To say it mildly i didn't enjoy it one bit. Yes it has that liquid tubey sound for it but it sucked out the mids and the bass got loose. 
But that's just one opinion, I'm not a tube guy.
I also had the DT990 32 Ohm and it wasn't a slouch to drive either, it was rather picky of what was connected to it.
You'll need to decide which version will suit you most, not to match heaphones to amp but the contrary. if you get the 32 ohm, future amp upgrades ain't limited but it ain't much like the 250 version (which is what I'll choose again).

Dec 12, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 35

Quote:
Thanks.  I've read a bit about Creative's CMSS system, but I'm not really interested in it...if anything it will be dolby for me, or just leave everything alone and go "stereo" setting in the driver.

I like the CMSS that Creative X-Fi uses. 

I do a lot of gaming myself and this is how it looks like: PC/X-Fi > optical out > DAC > AMP > headphones.
I had the DT880 and I highly recommend them for gaming. I had them as in my friend borrowed them and never gave them back. 

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #12 of 35

Quote:

I do a lot of gaming myself and this is how it looks like: PC/X-Fi > optical out > DAC > AMP > headphones.
I had the DT880 and I highly recommend them for gaming. I had them as in my friend borrowed them and never gave them back. 

You like the CMSS because I'm 99% sure that when you switch to optical out you aren't getting CMSS 3d any longer.  Lucky for you the DT880's have great soundstage and imaging so you really don't need a fake surround software solution.  

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 35
You are wrong.
If you have cmss3d on and you put two channels out it will send a cmss3d through optical out.

Quote:
Quote:

You like the CMSS because I'm 99% sure that when you switch to optical out you aren't getting CMSS 3d any longer.  Lucky for you the DT880's have great soundstage and imaging so you really don't need a fake surround software solution.  

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
Just an FYI, Asus soundcards support dolby headphone which simulates surround sound on a stereo system.  Xfi cards have cmss-3d, but in my experience it doesn't work.  It just destroys the sound making everything sound like its coming from a tin can.  

In my experience CMSS-3D sounds great.

Quote:
Quote:

If you are 99% sure then you have a 1% chance of being wrong. Unfortunately in this case you are WRONG. 
CMSS-3D works perfectly going into my external DAC. I have been gaming with the X-Fi card and headphones for years. Then added an external DAC and amp and it sounded even better. 

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 35
For accuracy CMSS is better than Dolby headphone. For a more theater like experience, Dolby is better than CMSS. If you want to have more fun, grab the Xonar, if you want accuracy and improved sound whoring, get an X-fi. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back