DT770 vs M50
Oct 5, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #16 of 38
Not a fan of the M50, but this specific model of the DT770 80ohm will be MUCH harder to drive than the M50.  Since you don't want to buy an additional amp, I say this should be a important consideration for you.  M50s are uncomfortable, but at least they'll drive well from devices of all shapes and sizes. 

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #17 of 38
Well, as I said i've thought I'd buy an amp/DAC. I'm going to keep DT770.

So which amp would you suggest for DT770, if there is a real improvement on the sound?

Best bang of the buck will be awarded.

E: typ0s

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #18 of 38
I am in the same situation as you, looking for some good headphones for metal at home. I was decided for the M50, but this thread has make me think again.

The DT770 pro 250 Ohm have the same price (amazon.co.uk), but the thing is if my external soundcard (Line 6 UX 1) will drive them properly (Line 6 recommends impedances from 150 - 500 though),

I use glasses, so comfort is welcome :p

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #19 of 38
My experience with the Beyerdynamics is that any decent soundcard (or sometimes even default motherboard soundcards if good enough) will drive them adequately. However, a decent amp does make a huge difference. You'll probably get a 10% increase more more in quality of sound if you were to get a entry amp. You can live without one, but with one there is a difference. I reccomend the E7. 80-100 dollars and handles it decently. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #20 of 38
It is true that the DT770 Pro 80 will be harder to drive than the M50, but I'd still take the Beyer over the Audio-Technica any day of the week.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #21 of 38
I'd go DT770 over M50 any day. I bought a pair of 770s about a year ago and I love them. hudamanium is correct also; they are easily driven out of my iPod or laptop sound card, but amping makes a large difference. The bass becomes a little more refined and the separation becomes a little clearer.That's just my experience.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #22 of 38
DT770 is easily the most comfortable set I've ever used. Aside from a slightly heavy headband the fit is perfect and stays perfect for hours. Sonically, well you're not going to find really good-sounding closed headphones this side of the Stax 4070, so for what it is and what it costs, the sound's pretty good. Amping for the 80 ohm version is not really a necessity, an old receiver or a high(er) output soundcard will do fine, but there will be benefits with more clean power - bass will tighten up and clarity will improve as well. For the 250 ohm version, I'm not sure...

Also, these make killer gaming cans. For FPS positioning is spot on, assuming the game's sound engine is up to par.

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #23 of 38
another vote for the DT 770 pro, they are awesome, i would rebuy them if i could, i know a while ago i mentioned they had extremely recessed mids, muddy bass, and where way too harsh and bright. however, i take it all back after hearing  them a second time, the first pair i had simply had damaged drivers.

but yeah the DT 770 pro are way better than the M50s.

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #25 of 38
  Ok, that's good. If you didn't plan on buying an amp, it wouldn't have made sense to get the dt770 considering its only slightly better (<10%) unamped than the M50 unamped.

Quote:
Well, as I said i've thought I'd buy an amp/DAC. I'm going to keep DT770.

So which amp would you suggest for DT770, if there is a real improvement on the sound?

Best bang of the buck will be awarded.

E: typ0s

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #26 of 38
Headphone Amplifier.
On eBay, you can get a single tube headphone amplifier (shipped from China) starting at $50.
My Muse 6922EH single tube headphone amplifier can very easily power my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm cans.
I have not figured out how to get it to work with 5.1 sound, but 2.0 stereo is no problem.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #27 of 38
Can consider the FiiO E10, cheaper than the E7 but better sounding, smaller, and MUCH more powerful (drove my HD580 to comparable levels to my own E7+E9 combo).

Nothing super fancy maybe, but for $80 it is simply superb. This is for the case when your source is your laptop. E10 is small enough to be transportable but it only functions when with a USB device.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #28 of 38
I would maybe try to hold off on the amp (if at all possible) until February when FiiO releases their E17. Basically an amped up version of the E7...better DAC chip, can do 96k bit processing, has a independent line-out to allow for DAC use on the go, and can output more power than the E7. I'd definitely consider this if you have any plans to take the 770s with you.

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #29 of 38

Quote:
I would maybe try to hold off on the amp (if at all possible) until February when FiiO releases their E17. Basically an amped up version of the E7...better DAC chip, can do 96k bit processing, has a independent line-out to allow for DAC use on the go, and can output more power than the E7. I'd definitely consider this if you have any plans to take the 770s with you.

Another vote for the 770/80Ω.  I've been looking for a while now for a new set for or below $150 and haven't had any luck.  Ordered a set of RP-HTF600-S's to keep the bass side of me happy until then. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back