dt770/80 Pro amp or no amp?
Dec 3, 2010 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

danny93

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I think I've decided to buy the beyer dt770 80 ohm cans, I have never heard them as i cannot find anywhere in London that lets you demo them. So not sure if they will reach anywhere near their potential just driven from my ipod touch? (WON'T be listening via laptop or comp! Just from ipod around the house, NOT outside!) Will a budget amp like the Fiio e5 help or I could stretch to the E7 but will either of these make a significant improvement? (breaking the bank i know!) its just im a student and have no job so the £130 for the cans alone is a hell of allot for me to spend on audio equipment, Im coming from skullcandy headphones which i sold as they were S#!T and using visang R02's which i love! Do you recon the sound from the ipod alone will still be good, as there will be no point in buying the cans if im not getting the sound they can produce so may aswell get some cheaper ones that are more easily driven?!

The more i read the more confused im getting as some people believe amps helps tremendously with these cans and others say a cheap amp makes little or no difference!

BTW i love bass, but at the same time do not want it to be too overbearing or dominant, however i will compromise a little on highs and mids to get a great lower end!! So from what i can tell these headphones suit me down to the ground! Just hope they sound as good as what i am reading!

PLEASE HELP!! Thanks in advance.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 31
if you ONLY need a portable amp, I don't think E7 is that worth it. E7 has specialize for its good DAC+Amp combo with very good price level, but when we talk about its amp alone, I think you can get better products out there.

DT770/80 will be happy if you can paired it with amp of course, portable amp like Govibe Martini or Crossroad Spirit has good result for them. Sorry, but I haven't found yet any sub $100 portable amp that sound good for DT770/80. I think better you save your money till you can afford at least Govibe Martini.

note that, DT770/80 will loud enough driven by ipod, but when we talk about the proper power, ipod is definitely can't offering it.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 31
I have actually seen the pa2v2 mentioned allot, but looks cheap compared with the e7 and e5 but have no clue about the sound comparrison and cant find one either.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 31
As good a value as the E7 is for being a DAC/AMP, the amp portion isn't very powerful. I'd suggest another amp. That and it's slightly on the warm side (especially anything past Bass Boost 0), which doesn't help the 770 Pro 80s already warm/smooth sound. However, the E7 can definitely drive the Pro 80's loudly.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 31
how about the pa2v2 with these cans?

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 31
also would a LOD help with one of these amps?

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 31
You should never hook up an amp to a headphone out, only as a last resort. LOD is a must.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 31
OK thanks, sorry bit of a noob with this stuff LOL!

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 31
Hey, no worries. I didn't get into this hobby seriously until the beginning of this year. You learn a lot in a short amount of time. This time last year, I was only ever thinking of easy to drive headphones with no amps. I have grown to appreciate what an amp does to pretty much any headphone.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 31
I have a Little Dot 1+ on my 770/80's and the improvement was huge. That said I do believe these cans need an amp to reach anywhere close to their potential.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 31
Ok thanks, and may i ask in what way did it improve them? Also what source was you using?

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 31
Sorry for asking again, but has anyone out there had any experiance with the pa2v2, will this have enough power for dt770/80? Will the sound be too warm with this combo, some suggest it may but make no suggestion as to what would be better for that sort of money!

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #13 of 31
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=pa2v2+dt770&btnG=Google+Search

Quote:
Sorry for asking again, but has anyone out there had any experiance with the pa2v2, will this have enough power for dt770/80? Will the sound be too warm with this combo, some suggest it may but make no suggestion as to what would be better for that sort of money!

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #14 of 31
So confused now, i know sound is subjective but seriously! Quotes from http://iaudiophile.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-12729.html

nrwilk
01-28-2007, 16:51
I have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm), too.
Cool! How do you like them?

No difference when using them directly or with a PA2V2 headphone amp.

Seriously? This really surprises me. No difference at all?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dfkt
01-29-2007, 09:02

I absolutely love them - can't imagine any other closed phone performing as well as the 770's. Everything's there: bass, mids, treble - defined and crisp. Of course the soundstage could be a little wider, but that's what open phones do better than closed ones. But the isolation more than makes up for that small deficiency.

Nope, not really anything I could notice, regarding the PA2V2 - the 80 Ohm 770's are more efficient/sensitive than the specs show. The bass doesn't get any tighter, the soundstage doesn't get any wider with the PA2V2.

Highly recommended phones. :)

Now quote from http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1091198

08-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Floruro [H]Lite, 5.4 Years

user_offline.gif

I got an x-fi fatal1ty -> pa2v2 -> dt770 pro /80 and i can 100% recommend it.
Nothing more to say really. It just works absolutely great. I think the pa2v2 is a great match for the dt770 /80 in games because of the punchy sound.
I didnt like the dt770 without an amp. Sounded flat and tinny, and when you turn it up loud theres just muddy bass, too laidback midrange and harsh highs. With an amp sound is fuller, highs softer, bass is tighter and more distinct. Everything comes out more. I think the DT770s really need some power to work properly.

The DT770 is very involving , and with the sound signature of the PA2v2 it suits it very well. It sounds very dynamic and the sounds are more given to you than you have to pick them yourself, but that is fine with the big sound stage of the DT770 so it doesn't sound cramped in any way.
Of course there are better more expensive amps, but thats another mission.

But for the DT770, i actually prefer the Pa2v2, since it pumps life into the veins that is the DT770 sound and gives it what it needs (for the price definately).

----------------------------------------------------------

Now this guy seems to love the amp!! So confused

Dec 3, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 31
FWIR... the DT770 / 80 is usually preferred with additional amplification. What did those who said the PA2V2 didn't make a difference plug their DT770 into before adding the PA2V2? Now whether the PA2V2 is a good match for it, I don't know. In this price range for a portable amp, I'd probably instead go for a good cMoy sold on eBay or in Head-Fi's for sale forum. If interested in considering alternative portable amps, I suggest reading and posting in the portable amp forum. I currently use a GoVibe V5 (discontinued) - which is my favorite of all other portable amps that I've owned (not taking the time list them). 

Quote:
Now this guy seems to love the amp!! So confused

Users who are viewing this thread

Back