DT1350, Pro900, ES-10, (Rafa Review page 4)
Sep 23, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #46 of 61

Quote:
Just wanted to confirm that the ES10 sounds perfectly fine plugged directly to an iPhone 4 so I think it's ok if you don't amp it. I don't have much experience with portable amps so others will have to answer that part of your question. I do have a cMoy v2.03 arriving in the next few days though.

OK good to know, thanks kenshin. Do you have any experience with the pro 900?

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #47 of 61
Nope, sorry. I'm not that much of a basshead so haven't tried Ultrasonics yet. =)

Quote:
OK good to know, thanks kenshin. Do you have any experience with the pro 900?

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #48 of 61
Thanks Kenshin. Hey everyone I sent Rafa a pm discussing the headphones I've mentioned and he did me a really nice favor and reviewed them. He mentions the song in the review, it has alot of rhythm and also a sweet female voice. Feel free to discuss. Thanks again to everyone who has helped out.

Rafa's Review:

[size=12pt]Listening device: Asus N50V[/size]

[size=12pt]Shreya Ghosal - Silsila Ye Chaahat Ka song (I hope this is what you meant, but it fits your description of indian music)[/size]
[size=12pt]PRO 900: I am used to sharp highs when listening to the Pros, but in the case of this song, which is more emphasized on mids and lows, there are not many highs. However in this song there is a screeching high tone in the back, which makes the song not listenable with the Pros. Cuts my ears every time it appears. It is a very nice female voice, with the Pros it is represented really good, somehow smooth, but not too smooth. The lows, to my taste, overlay the mids in this song a little bit. The deep drums sound really good, but in some parts they catch Shreya’s voice. But if you are a “basshead” you might like it[/size] [size=12pt]:)[/size][size=12pt]. This song also gives a chance to show soundstage, because of the drums. The Pros have the best soundstage, better than DT1350 and ES10.[/size]

[size=12pt]DT 1350: Wow, what a nice song to listen to. The first to mention are the highs; the noise I told before (I think it is recorded that way), is there but not annoying, like with the Pro 900. I forgot about that noise while listening Silsila Ye Chaahat Ka with this headphone. The female voice is so nice here. The mids are much more forward than on the Pro 900. This is because of the overwhelming bass of the Pro 900… There is also a male voice in some parts of the song (duumta duumta, nananana), which is a little “in your face”, but just a bit. Overall excellent mids. There is sometimes a flute in the background, which is also nicely represented. To my ears this headphones have 90% bass they should have, just a bit more and it would be sufficient. Others may even say they have overwhelming bass…, but they listen to open headphones or it is maybe me, because of the fact I listened to the Pro 900s bass before. The quantity of the DT1350 bass is 90%, but it extends very deep. The problem with the Pro 900 is that I am not sure how deep they extend, because it sounds like a big boom sometimes.[/size]

[size=12pt]ES10: Ok, the screeching voice is a little louder again, but not that it would annoy. Sparkling highs. This time the male voice sounds better, but the female voice does not sound so fantastic like it sounded with the DT1350. In general the mids are very good. The ES10 have a little bump in the lower mids level. They are more pronounced. That is the reason why the female voice is not as good as with the DT1350, but do not get me wrong. The female voice in this song sounds very good. The lows are strong, to my taste 110% of the needed quantity. The quality is good also. The ES10 has the last place in terms of soundstage.[/size]

[size=12pt]To my ears the DT 1350 is the best headphone. If it had a little more bass, it would be cool…[/size]
[size=12pt]The ES10 is a fun headphone to listen to. The first time I listened to them, I liked it instantly.[/size]
[size=12pt]To my taste the Pro 900 are not bad, but their highs kill me and the bass is too much.[/size]
[size=12pt]When drive by train and just listening for fun to the music, the ES10 is best. When I want more, I use the DT 1350. The only time I listen to the Pro 900, is when using the HM-601. The HM-601 tames the highs and sounds dark in general.[/size]

[size=12pt]#1 in highs = DT1350 (smooth) ES10 (sparkling)[/size]
[size=12pt]#1 mids = DT1350[/size]
[size=12pt]#1 lows = ES10 in general (DT1350 to me)[/size]
[size=12pt]#1 soundstage = Pro 900[/size]

[size=12pt]For you to know, for the next part: I have small ears[/size] [size=12pt]:)[/size]

[size=12pt]Isolation: DT1350 (almost like an IEM) >> Pro 900 > ES10[/size]
[size=12pt]Fit: Pro 900 > ES10 > DT1350 (you must search for fit)[/size]
[size=12pt]Portability: DT1350 > ES10 >> Pro 900[/size]
[size=12pt]Comfort: Pro 900 >>> ES10 > DT1350[/size]

[size=12pt]To the harsh highs of the Pro 900 can be said, that there are people on head-fi who did a mod on them. It seems, that they tamed them a little and the bass is also not that strong anymore. In the beginning with the DT1350 it is hard to get the best fit. This also influences the sound quality a lot. That is the reason why there are so many contradicting opinions of them. On the other hand, if you find the right fit, they sound fantastic. Also there comes a very nice box with them, which makes it even more portable. With the ES10 you only get a cloth vouch. The Pro 900 have a big box, which is not really portable. One word to the ES10. It is one nice sounding headphone, but it is also said that they sound similar to the ATH-M50 (I am not sure if they have the same driver). The ATH-M50 have a much lower price.[/size]

[size=12pt]To my taste, if I could keep only one headphone, I would keep the DT1350. They sound even better to my ears when they are amped. (I have an Ibasso D10) The ES10 are also good. I would not recommend the Pro 900.[/size]

[size=12pt]Best regards[/size]
[size=12pt]RAFA[/size]

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #50 of 61
Yeah I think his views on the DT1350 and ES10 matches my comments pretty much exactly. The DT1350 is a more neutral but very proficient headphone while the ES10 has a livelier, more fun sound. It's kinda like a closed Grado but with thumpier bass.

While I knew the Pro900 would have the most bass, I'm kinda surprised that it has screechy highs. And no surprise that it has the better soundstage of the three since it's a full-sized can.

I don't think the ES10 sound like the ATH-M50 though. I used to own a pair and the recessed mids alone make the M50 sound noticeably different. Not the same drivers (45mm for the M50, 53mm for the ES10) and since the M50 is supposed to be a studio monitor it's overall sound is more neutral than the ES10.

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #51 of 61

Quote:
Yeah I think his views on the DT1350 and ES10 matches my comments pretty much exactly. The DT1350 is a more neutral but very proficient headphone while the ES10 has a livelier, more fun sound. It's kinda like a closed Grado but with thumpier bass.

While I knew the Pro900 would have the most bass, I'm kinda surprised that it has screechy highs. And no surprise that it has the better soundstage of the three since it's a full-sized can.

I don't think the ES10 sound like the ATH-M50 though. I used to own a pair and the recessed mids alone make the M50 sound noticeably different. Not the same drivers (45mm for the M50, 53mm for the ES10) and since the M50 is supposed to be a studio monitor it's overall sound is more neutral than the ES10.

Thanks Kenshin I appreciate your input throughout this thread. Do you remember where you bought your ES10, I am trying to find a reputable dealer but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #52 of 61
Mine was a used pair I picked up in the for sale board here. =) They do seem to be kinda tough to find new here in the US for a decent price. You may have to bite the bullet and get it from an importer on Amazon or eBay.

On a side note, I just took a quick listen to the HD25-1 II that just arrived today and it sounds quite good. Build quality leaves a lot to be desired to put it mildly but I guess it gets a pass since it's the cheapest amongst the 3. Very light and comfortable though.

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #54 of 61
Out of the three he compared, I only have the ES10 and the Pro 900s, but I would say that he's pretty spot on. I do disagree on certain points but it's more a case of personal preferences in sound signature. To me, the ES10 are the bare minimum I would go in terms of bass. Other than that, while I do think the ES10 is fine sounding headphone, the lack of isolation might be a dealbreaker depending on how noisy an environment you're in.

Since you're looking for a portable, I think you might want to forget the Pro 900. Yes, you could use it as a portable, but you probably don't want it to be your only available choice when you're going out. In addition, I don't think the v-shaped signature of the Pro 900s would really benefit the music you listen to.

I know you already removed the HD25 from your shortlist based on looks but I do think that you should consider it. The ES10 may look fancy but the cups are quite scratch prone. If you don't look after them carefully, they can look pretty beat up whereas the HD25 will proably look the same way they did when you bought them.

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #55 of 61

Quote:
I think I am gonna order the dt1350 off amazon for now and see how I like it. Any advice on getting that fit that everyone talks about?

Something like this:

You will have to fiddle with it.  Other DT1350 users are saying that it is easier than T50p.  It shouldn't take you long.
I have found that this also helps get the best sound out of my HD25-1 and SR325is.  Neat!

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #57 of 61

Quote:
this thread has changed tittle so many times now...

2pacalypse, hope you have fun with the DT1350, I dertainly did not. but good luck.

Haha sorry just wanted to reflect what I was looking for. Thanks everyone I appreciate your help. Hey DTKZ do you remember where you bought your es10 from? I am still looking for them so maybe I can try it and return the one I don't want.

Oct 21, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #58 of 61
Hello, I read everything you wrote.
Currently I use a Sennheiser HD25 1-2, I wanted to buy something more 'exciting.
My choice was between ES10 and DT1350, between these two, which has the lowest most 'powerful?
I listen with an amplifier
Sorry for my School English

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #59 of 61
Depends on what you mean by "powerful" and "exciting". The HD-25 already is what I'd call massively exciting with rock (less so with other genres). I'm pretty sure a stock DT 1350 isn't what you want for that (it's more neutral and reserved than the HD-25). The ES10 has more bass than the HD-25 and may represent to you a more exciting sound, at least with other genres than rock.

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #60 of 61
When you say "lowest most powerful" I'm guessing you mean bass. In which case that would be the ES10 by far. The HD25-1 II for me occupies a happy medium between the neutral high/mid focus of the DT1350 and the bass heavy impact of the ES10 which can be overwhelming at times. 

Quote:
Hello, I read everything you wrote.Currently I use a Sennheiser HD25 1-2, I wanted to buy something more 'exciting.My choice was between ES10 and DT1350, between these two, which has the lowest most 'powerful?I listen with an amplifier
Sorry for my School English

Users who are viewing this thread

Back