DT1350, Pro900, ES-10, (Rafa Review page 4)
Sep 21, 2011 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

2pacalypse33

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of questions regarding some headphones and amps. Let me just give you a quick background and hopefully you can help me out. I've explored this site somewhat on and off for some time. About 3 years ago (maybe more) I did alot of research especially on this site and bought the Denon AHD-1001 headphones. I've been using those on my ipod ever since then. It was a great experience hearing all my music with an incredible improvement. I love the Denons they have great sound and are extremely comfortable. Anyway, I'm looking to move on to a new pair now. I am not very experienced with the audiophile world but I do have a good sense of music in general. I am familar with music composition and play keyboard.

So this time around I am looking towards the portable side but it is not necessary that it be extremely portable. I definitely want a closed pair and isolation is not huge but would be nice. The headphones I have done some research on are ATH-M50, DT1350, ESW9, ES-10, HFI-580, HD-25. I value sound above all else.

I have been leaning towards the DT1350 due to the rave reviews, the portability, and the isolation. My only question is that people seem to say that without an amp they are not anything special. So if you guys think that would be the best phone for me then please help me pick an amp as well. I ideally want something very small that can just connect to my ipod without much hassle as far as carrying it around. I also like the M50's but they seem to be a little big, although I have heard some great reviews. How would these two phones compare unamped? amped?

Sorry for the long post! I don't get much time to search the forums and could really use the specified help. Money isn't a big deal but I would like to keep the amp + headphones less than $500 (would prefer closer to 300-350 but will spend if you guys think its worth it).

SUMMARY: looking for closed headphones + possible portable amp <$500
VALUE: Sound >> Isolation > portability > comfort
DEVICE: Ipod 160gb
MUSIC (in order): lots of southasian music not sure if you guys are familiar but hindi film music, nusrat fateh, etc., lighter rap (lupe, kid cudi type), pop rock (Maroon 5, John Mayer type) R&B, Pop, some rock

Really appreciate the help. Thanks everyone.

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 61
sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum, please move it if you guys think its better fit for the portable forum, THANKS
beyersmile.png

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 61
The DT1350 are pretty popular at the moment. But the sound is about the same you can get from the HD-1 ii.

So for a extra $100 you get more looks and bit more comfort. Build is the same.

The DT1350 does need a amp, but can be driven without one. A Ibasso D-zero would be nice, Ibasso D2 would be better. FiiO E7 would be nice also.

Get a LOD like a FiiO L3 for your ipod to run to the amp

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 61
Thanks for the reply. LOD is line out direct? What exactly is the effec of this? Are the amps you recommend relatively small and portable? Do you think the dt1350 plus amp is a big improvement over the ath-m50 sound? Which one would you recommend if I don't buy an amp? Thanks alot.

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 61
LOD = line-out dock
You avoid the crappy internal amp and use an external one instead.  Better headphones, better amp, and using the line-out all contribute to better sound.  BotByte meant to say HD25-1 II when he said "HD-1 ii"  Excellent headphone, by the way.

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 61
Oh ok thanks so which of the headphones do you guys specifically prefer or recommend based on my preferences? Are the amps like the E7 easy to carry around with the ipod and headphones or does it get a little annoying? Thanks.

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 61
LOD is line out digital, it's to prevent the iPod from using it's internal DAC and AMP and instead getting the sound out of you r iPod untouched digitally and using a seperate AMP and DAC with higher quality components.

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 61
Oh ok makes sense, thanks alot. Will the E7 give me the full effect of the DT1350? Is it a big difference over just the M50 unamped? Anyone have experience with some of these headphones, I like the look of the ES-10 and ESW9 as well but not sure which of these phones gives the best sound. Advice is really appreciated.

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 61

Quote:
Oh ok makes sense, thanks alot. Will the E7 give me the full effect of the DT1350? Is it a big difference over just the M50 unamped? Anyone have experience with some of these headphones, I like the look of the ES-10 and ESW9 as well but not sure which of these phones gives the best sound. Advice is really appreciated.

I do not recommend E5/6/7 for DT1350.  Dt1350 will certainly give you better sound than ESW9, but I do not know about ES10.

Quote:
LOD is line out digital, it's to prevent the iPod from using it's internal DAC and AMP and instead getting the sound out of you r iPod untouched digitally and using a seperate AMP and DAC with higher quality components.

No, not digital.  You need a specific type of amp/dac for that and the dock will have a very short USB cable.  A line-out dock provides an analogue 3.5mm connection.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 61

Quote:
Oh why not? Is there any other good portable ones you recommend? Thanks.

Those amps hardly make a difference in sound.  I would definitely second getting an iBasso amp instead.  If you don't need a DAC, the E11 is cheaper and may be about as good as the D-Zero.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #12 of 61

Quote:
No, not digital.  You need a specific type of amp/dac for that and the dock will have a very short USB cable.  A line-out dock provides an analogue 3.5mm connection.

Depends, if you use a LOD from a iPod to a DAC then it certainly is digital, I don't know for sure if the acronym is Line out Dock or Digital but either way a LOD can be digital.
Just wanted to correct real quick, sorry.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #13 of 61

Quote:

Depends, if you use a LOD from a iPod to a DAC then it certainly is digital, I don't know for sure if the acronym is Line out Dock or Digital but either way a LOD can be digital.
Just wanted to correct real quick, sorry.

FYI, line-out refers to an analogue signal.  You can generate a line-level signal from a digital stream, which you can then feed to an amp or preamp.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #14 of 61

Quote:
Those amps hardly make a difference in sound.  I would definitely second getting an iBasso amp instead.  If you don't need a DAC, the E11 is cheaper and may be about as good as the D-Zero.

Thanks, I don't even know what a DAC is so I'd imagine I won't need one, anyone care to explain its use? Mad Max so what do you think if the ipod -> E11 -> DT1350 will be a solid combination? I'll spend more on an amp if you guys recommend a solid portable one. Also any recommendations on the headphones are appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 61

Quote:
Thanks, I don't even know what a DAC is so I'd imagine I won't need one, anyone care to explain its use? Mad Max so what do you think if the ipod -> E11 -> DT1350 will be a solid combination? I'll spend more on an amp if you guys recommend a solid portable one. Also any recommendations on the headphones are appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

Consider HD25-1 II as well.
The amps you were considering all have DACs, or digital-to-analogue converters (or digital audio converters, which makes it a pinch more self-explanatory to most people new to this hobby, I think).  The DAC takes a digital signal via USB, coax digital, BNC, or optical then turns that into music, to put it very simply.  Think of them as "external soundcards".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back