DT-770/80 vs. DT-990 (again!)
Mar 15, 2007 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

MentalAnarchy

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Background

-Listen to mostly Rock/Industrial/Electronica/Indie.
-Would like the option of watching movies and playing games.
-Comfort is a big factor (which rules out Grado).
-Willing to buy a cheap(ish) amp to drive them, but would also like the option of switching to a non-amped source such as an iPod.
-Colouration is fine by me, but there are times where I'll use them for 4+ hours at a time.
-Previously owned Senn HD-570 (found them way too bright, lacking bass) and KSC-75 (awsome for portable use).

The Contenders

Beyerdynamics DT-770/80

PROS:
-Great for movies and games
-I've read that the 80 ohm rating makes them "sufficient" to be driven by a non-amped source
-Closed, making them more ideal for work (not really a huge deal to me though)

CONS:
-Concern over the mid-range. I don't mind the strong bass, but I'm the kind of guy that likes hearing strong mid-range vocals as well.

Beyerdynamics DT-990

PROS:
-Better mid-range and less bass than the 770s.
-More 'airy', which may make it more suited for movies (??)

CONS:
-250 ohm impedence... is it safe to assume these cans will fare worse than the 770s when powered by a non-amp source? As far as I know, 250 is the lowest impedence offered on the 990s.

From what I've read on these forums, the two above models sound like the top contenders, but I'm open to other suggestions. I'd love to give both of the above models a side-by-side comparison, but because I'm Canadian, it looks like I'm going to have to import these from an online retailer. Thanks again, guys.

Mar 15, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 20
There is also 32ohm DT990 version available. Meier-Audio sells one IIRC. So you dont need to make that big fuzz about amplifier immidieatly, atleast if volume is concerned. Soundquality amped vs. unamped might be different story though.

Mar 15, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 20
Ah ha... I didn't know about the 32 ohm version of the 990... thanks.

Can anybody comment on the performance of a non-amped DT-990/32 versus the DT-770/80? I do realize that there's also a 32 ohm version of the 770, but everything I've read thus far seems to indicate the 80 ohm is the better bet.

Right now, it's looking like the 770/80 is the top contender, but I'm still worried about "drowned-out" mid-range voice frequencies. Any comments?

Mar 15, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 20
Well rock and electronic music really does need good midrange, so DT990 is safer choice. Im sure it wont compromise anything compared to DT770, except isolation. Overall quality is better in other regions. This is just overall thoughts, dont know anything how they differ from each other when unamped.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 20
I also didn't notice the huge price difference between the 770 and the 990. Many people on this forum were suggesting that the two cost the same, but after some research, it's clear that they're comparing the 770 to the 2003 version of the 990. If I wanted to go and buy the latest model, it would cost a good $350-$400, compared to the $150-$200 price tag on the latest model of the 770.

The 770 is looking better and better to me. You guys are gonna have to really convince me that the boost in mid-range on the 990 is worth double the price....

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 20
well the dt990\32ohm from meier is only 315$ shipped not 350-400
smily_headphones1.gif

also the regular dt990 can be found for 225$
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Beyerdynamic...QQcmdZViewItem

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 20
hehe... well I gotta say that I just HATE buying things off of ebay (too many shady sellers on there), but the seller does seem reputable.

Regarding my "$350-$300" estimation, I'm assuming that the Germany-to-Canada duties and taxes are going to make up the difference. Because I have relatives in the US, it's much easier for me to "avoid" (ah hem) the extra tariffs if I buy from an American retailer. Either way, two questions still remain (which I hinted at in my original post):

1) Which can is better for movie watching (it sounds like most agree that the 990 is superior for music).
2) If I do decide to go the ebay route, will the 250 ohm impedence give me issues with iPod listening.

Thanks again!

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 20
i don't think americans pay sales tax on buying stuff online from outside their own state (correct me if i'm wrong) so theoretically if you order from meier to your relatives in the US you won't pay extra as well i'd assume
smily_headphones1.gif

250ohm is supposed to be pretty high for listening from portables but i don't have the headphones to try (nor an ipod for that matter
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 20
i'd say if possible, go to a local guitar center if you have them or some sort of audio store and give 'em an audition. i know guitar center should have at least the dt770, so you can see if their mids are too drowned out or not for you. if they're good for your tastes, then don't even try the dt990 since the 770's are cheaper, and ignorance is bliss
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 20
about SQ between 770/80 vs 990 '05... i had 770/80 and i loved bass but missed mids a lot to extend i couldnt help but always noticed that i miss mids...i got myself 990 '05 and mids are what i was dreaming about! now i dream of 770's bass...i always use EQ to boost bass and it helps (but i used to boost bass with 770 too...
confused.gif
!!!) - often it is sufficient but unfortunately not of 770/80 standard. well, i'm happier with 990 than i was with 770.
wink.gif
exept for bass...
hope it helps, leener
plainface.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 20
Well... I didn't waste too much time here. I found out that my buddy in the US lives literally a couple of blocks from the Buffalo Guitar Center store, so I jumped the gun and asked him to pick up the DT-770/80s for me.

Straight out of the box.... well... wow... they destroy my Senn HD-570s in pretty much every respect, even though they aren't even close to being burned in yet. I don't feel that the mid-range is too recessed for my liking. The bass is definitely there, but the vocals are coming through crystal clear... no drowning out at all.

I'm sure these will just get better as I burn them in. Honestly, I'm glad I didn't go with the 990s... the bass on these for me is perfect, and I can imagine the 990s not being as suited for movie viewing. As I stated in my original post, having the colouration is fine by me! I like having the extra energy there in my music.

And uhhhhh... since everybody else seems to be doing it:
580smile.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MentalAnarchy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Straight out of the box.... well... wow... they destroy my Senn HD-570s in pretty much every respect, even though they aren't even close to being burned in yet. I don't feel that the mid-range is too recessed for my liking. The bass is definitely there, but the vocals are coming through crystal clear... no drowning out at all.

If you're not using a headphone amp, you really should try one. I just bought the same headphones yesterday and posted about their performance with different gain settings, etc. I assure you that whatever you are hearing now is nowhere remotely close to what the DT 770 Pro / 80 sounds like when properly amped.

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #14 of 20
MentalAnarchy;2799848 said:
Well... I didn't waste too much time here. I found out that my buddy in the US lives literally a couple of blocks from the Buffalo Guitar Center store, so I jumped the gun and asked him to pick up the DT-770/80s for me.

Cogratulations! 770/80s are great phones. BTW if you feel that vocal is a little bit distant you can add a few db with EQ (about 1Khz...or you can experiment a little what to add or where to take...) and that may be enough for you as you don't mind colouration (I don't...). 770s are terrific for movies, again if dialogues are not very clear you can use EQ. For music rythm section with 770 is awesome - I've never heard Procol Harum Nineth like it sounds with burned in 770! - Bass and drums are so beautiful that I did not want to hear anything else but bass and drums...
wink.gif
cogratulations.
basshead.gif

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #15 of 20
FOR CANADIANS

I bought my DT990 Premium 600 ohm from US Amazon.

There is no sales tax on an item you purchase outside of the state.
My final invoice came like this and got delivered via DHL Global and Canada Post. :)

Subtotal of Items:$229.95
Shipping & Handling: $11.97
Import Fees Deposit: $39.18
Total for this Order: $281.10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back