Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
May 26, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #736 of 1,383
Hey I'm mostly an over ear headphone guy. I have a Sabaj DA3 Dac feeding a Jot. Iem wise, I have a VE Asura and a TDK BA200. I love the TDK but the deep insertion with the Spinfit dual flange just isn't comfortable for long listening sessions.
I hate the SpinFit dual flange tips. It’s a horrible design. The smaller flange is basically a disc that cuts into the sides of your ear canal. The smaller flange needs to be cupped a lot more.

May 26, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #737 of 1,383
I have a VE Asura and a TDK BA200. I love the TDK but the deep insertion with the Spinfit dual flange just isn't comfortable for long listening sessions.

Dual-BA classic! Underrated driver configuration these days. if TDK are similar to q-Jays (iirc a lot of the dual-BA IEMs at that time had drivers in common) I think you will dig FDx1.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #738 of 1,383
Thanks guys! I just hope they ship soon!!

May 27, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #739 of 1,383
Thank you!
I will post my first impressions when they arrive
I‘m sure you’ll really like the FD02. My experience with the FDX1 was that it required a lot tinkering to get it to sound ideal for me, and the bass SIGNIFICANTLY improved over time, with burn-in (some others didn’t notice it on theirs though). Basically, if it doesn’t “wow” you from the start, be patient. There are a bunch of ways to tune them, and we’re here to help, if needed.
WOW!

Just WOW!

These are really really nice,
Clean, open sound with deep bass.

Good clarity and soundstage.

JVC HA-FD02 - 00.JPG

May 28, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #740 of 1,383
I’d like to find an IEM very trasparent but not harsh with a very good and rich mids, extended and airy Highs.
Bass should be tight, I don’t need a Boomy IEM.

Is FDX1 what I’m looking for?

May 28, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #741 of 1,383
I’d like to find an IEM very trasparent but not harsh with a very good and rich mids, extended and airy Highs.

No.

May 28, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #742 of 1,383
May 28, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #743 of 1,383

Because they're not what you describe. :wink:

OK I elaborate a bit. The only match to your requirements is no boomy bass and this they check. They are very boosted in upper mids which makes them easily harsh, especially considering the lack of substantial bass amount to compensate. That's with undampened nozzles. With dampened nozzles the upper mid forwardness is reduced but they also lose a lot of the little amount of air/extended treble they have. As for transparency, I don't think they are unless clean sound and lean bass is enough to qualify them as such but for me it's not enough, upper mids masks too much subtle details in other frequencies IMHO.

May 28, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #745 of 1,383

Maybe with the thicker filter? Using DIY mod version it's not my favorite but YMMV. W/ thinner filter depends on what you mean by harsh and airy I guess... I don't consider it harsh, but some might.

It semes like you'd want something a bit smoother/thicker, in this price range maybe something like Massdrop + or JH Billie Jean would be better suited. That's just from what I've heard though, there might be more competitive options.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #746 of 1,383
What would you want, that your IMRs aren’t accomplishing for you ?
More highs extension, I’ll receive Halcyon soon, maybe it will be what I’m looking for.

May 28, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #747 of 1,383

Maybe the Moondrop Blessing 2?

I actually find that the FDX1 does fit your description rather well, except for the extended and airy highs. I don‘t find the treble really lacking, but it doesn’t have a lot of >10KHz air. I don’t know how much airy highs the Blessing 2 has though.

May 28, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #748 of 1,383
May 28, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #749 of 1,383
Because they're not what you describe. :wink:

OK I elaborate a bit. The only match to your requirements is no boomy bass and this they check. They are very boosted in upper mids which makes them easily harsh, especially considering the lack of substantial bass amount to compensate. That's with undampened nozzles. With dampened nozzles the upper mid forwardness is reduced but they also lose a lot of the little amount of air/extended treble they have. As for transparency, I don't think they are unless clean sound and lean bass is enough to qualify them as such but for me it's not enough, upper mids masks too much subtle details in other frequencies IMHO.

Out of curiosity, I recall seeing this post (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/page-25#post-15365048) by you and have you opened your FD01 by any chance?
Also, this post (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dro...ilable-in-the-us.912737/page-27#post-15383949) saying your measurement tells more bass on EX1K than the FD01 is a good proof that may you have a faulty unit. For example, this user got a faulty FDX1 unit with no bass at all: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dro...ilable-in-the-us.912737/page-33#post-15421198

I can see the FD01/FDX1 not being a bass monster, but my unit has a pleasant rumble and extension. I quite often listen to electronic music and I don't miss anything at the bass since the texture is rather good, but I'm an extension/texture bass type person rather than a bass quantity person, though.

May 28, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #750 of 1,383
Out of curiosity, I recall seeing this post (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/page-25#post-15365048) by you and have you opened your FD01 by any chance?
Also, this post (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dro...ilable-in-the-us.912737/page-27#post-15383949) saying your measurement tells more bass on EX1K than the FD01 is a good proof that may you have a faulty unit. For example, this user got a faulty FDX1 unit with no bass at all: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dro...ilable-in-the-us.912737/page-33#post-15421198

I can see the FD01/FDX1 not being a bass monster, but my unit has a pleasant rumble and extension. I quite often listen to electronic music and I don't miss anything at the bass since the texture is rather good, but I'm an extension/texture bass type person rather than a bass quantity person, though.

I've both FD-01 and FD-X1 and they sound pretty much identical so I don't think I have two units faulty on both sides. Maybe I should relisten to them and the EX1000 side by side and measure again, it's so easy to add extra bass in measurements if you're not super careful.

I've accidentally opened one side of my FD-01. I've put it back together but without the metal circlip which I think require a special tool (or I'm just not skilled enough) and so the upper part of the shelll is now only quite weakly held by the sealing silicon ring. You can see the driver membrane in it's entirety when it's opened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back