Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
May 24, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #721 of 1,383
IMO, the FDX1 is quite a neutral monitor, with a little bit of boosted bass vs strict neutral. They are very detailed, and sound more cool/analytical overall. That said, they are not boring at all, just not the typical “fun” v-shaped tuning.
Cool!
That's exactly what I was looking for,
Now I have a warm neutral IEM and wanted a cold neutral IEM as well.

May 24, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #722 of 1,383
Cool!
That's exactly what I was looking for,
Now I have a warm neutral IEM and wanted a cold neutral IEM as well.
I‘m sure you’ll really like the FD02. My experience with the FDX1 was that it required a lot tinkering to get it to sound ideal for me, and the bass SIGNIFICANTLY improved over time, with burn-in (some others didn’t notice it on theirs though). Basically, if it doesn’t “wow” you from the start, be patient. There are a bunch of ways to tune them, and we’re here to help, if needed.

May 24, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #723 of 1,383
I‘m sure you’ll really like the FD02. My experience with the FDX1 was that it required a lot tinkering to get it to sound ideal for me, and the bass SIGNIFICANTLY improved over time, with burn-in (some others didn’t notice it on theirs though). Basically, if it doesn’t “wow” you from the start, be patient. There are a bunch of ways to tune them, and we’re here to help, if needed.
Thank you!
I will post my first impressions when they arrive

May 25, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #724 of 1,383
What did you have to do to tune them? I went in on a set! I ordered Symbio eartips (and Comply 500s with wax/dirt guard because no matter how much I clean my ears I need them...) and a 2.5 balanced cable for the es100.

Kinda curious how the Symbios might work with the Moondrop Starfield, too.

May 25, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #725 of 1,383
Thanks for the offer!
But I don't have a budget any more
But I do take donations :D

Had the opportunity to listen to T800 and I found these to be quite nice and honestly I was expecting the FDX1 to have better stage.
Anyway I have the FD02 on the way and I'm happy to hear that the JVCs are not flat compared to T800 because I will have a fun IEM :D.

On the opposite side I have the AQ3 which I really like and are the most neutral, flat IEM I ever had,
I'm curious how will compare to the FD02.
My wife has my iem donations locked up!
Someday I’ll buy another Moondrop offering, hopefully a DD/BA hybrid. I don’t see where else to turn (dd/ba hybrid) as fdx1 & t800, at price point, are pretty much top notch.

May 25, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #726 of 1,383
What did you have to do to tune them? I went in on a set! I ordered Symbio eartips (and Comply 500s with wax/dirt guard because no matter how much I clean my ears I need them...) and a 2.5 balanced cable for the es100.

You have most of the tuning variants covered already. Tips, balanced cable and an EQ (via the ES100). The only thing left is the amount and height of the dampening material.

Which JVCs did you order ?

The FD01/X1 are easier to dial in (the dampening material), as you can setup the 3 nozzles with differing amounts and quickly interchange them, when testing. This was critical for me, as I know that my left ear is more sensitive to the upper registers. So I ended up with a slight variance (in filling), between the L and R .

May 25, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #727 of 1,383
You have most of the tuning variants covered already. Tips, balanced cable and an EQ (via the ES100). The only thing left is the amount and height of the dampening material.

Which JVCs did you order ?

The FD01/X1 are easier to dial in (the dampening material), as you can setup the 3 nozzles with differing amounts and quickly interchange them, when testing. This was critical for me, as I know that my left ear is more sensitive to the upper registers. So I ended up with a slight variance (in filling), between the L and R .
I ordered the Drop FDX1. What tips worked best for you? I’m 45 (decreased treble sensitivity, probably) so I don’t know if I’ll want green or blue nozzles.

Interesting about being able to tune each ear differently.

May 25, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #728 of 1,383
I ordered the Drop FDX1. What tips worked best for you? I’m 45 (decreased treble sensitivity, probably) so I don’t know if I’ll want green or blue nozzles.

I'm sporting the Comply TSX 500. But what's good for my ear holes, could be a complete folly for the next set of ears.

May 25, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #729 of 1,383

I ultimately chose to use the bare nozzles, but with this mod, to tame the 4KHz peak.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dro...-iem-available-in-the-us.912737/post-15531812

May 25, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #730 of 1,383

I‘m using Final Audio Type E tips, b/c they tame the upper midrange peak, and enhance the bass some. If you want the upper mids and treble to be more prominent, the included spiral dots or other wide bore tips, such as Sedna Earfits work well. The one thing I don‘t like about the included spiral dots is that the core is soft, so no rigid structure. I was using Comply foam tips with Smartcore and Sweatguard, but found that they actually further accentuated the upper midrange peak.

May 25, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #731 of 1,383
I‘m using Final Audio Type E tips, b/c they tame the upper midrange peak, and enhance the bass some. If you want the upper mids and treble to be more prominent, the included spiral dots or other wide bore tips, such as Sedna Earfits work well. The one thing I don‘t like about the included spiral dots is that the core is soft, so no rigid structure. I was using Comply foam tips with Smartcore and Sweatguard, but found that they actually further accentuated the upper midrange peak.
Where can I find Final Type E? And is there some other way to keep was out of the nozzles? I can’t use liquid wax remover because it gives me terrible earaches. I do use q-tips, but it never seems to work well enough.

May 25, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #732 of 1,383
Where can I find Final Type E? And is there some other way to keep was out of the nozzles? I can’t use liquid wax remover because it gives me terrible earaches. I do use q-tips, but it never seems to work well enough.
You can purchase them on eBay, but I bought several from audio46.
https://audio46.com/products/final-audio-type-e-tips-kit-with-case-and-nozzle-adaptor

The nozzles themselves have a filter at the tip, but they are not very strong. If you use the same mod I do, you could just discard the discs every so often, or you can cover the nozzle tip with a 3M micropore tape mod.

May 25, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #733 of 1,383
I joined the Drop too.Looking forward to trying them. I got a 2.5 mm cable from Amazon, now I'm gonna have to read this whole thread.:beerchug:

May 26, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #734 of 1,383
I joined the Drop too.Looking forward to trying them. I got a 2.5 mm cable from Amazon, now I'm gonna have to read this whole thread.:beerchug:
What is your current set?

May 26, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #735 of 1,383
[/QUOT
Hey I'm mostly an over ear headphone guy. I have a Sabaj DA3 Dac feeding a Jot. Iem wise, I have a VE Asura and a TDK BA200. I love the TDK but the deep insertion with the Spinfit dual flange just isn't comfortable for long listening sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back