Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Jan 13, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #481 of 1,383
Sorry about the wallet, though relevant to this thread, I too share your thoughts that the ER2XR "definitely hits my preferences, seemingly more than the FDX1".

The ER2XR have been getting all my ear-time lately, though I'll have to go back and do a more direct A/B comparison with the FDX1.

One thing worth noting is the ER2XR and FDX1 have near identical frequency response up to 1 KHz; the ER2XR then has a Diffuse Field bump, whereas the FDX1's bump is in a higher frequency range. So maybe that's where the difference in preference lies: where a person prefers that "bump".

So... my wallet is not happy with you. I told myself there was no need for any more IEMs after the some of my recent purchases, like the andromeda gold, the fdx01, and the ier z1r. I like the fdx01, but just found it didnt quite 100% suit my preferences, especially where bass was concerned. I had been eyeing the er2xr for a while but just never pulled the trigger, but after seeing your post and the sale price, I said screw it. I have only put in like 15 minutes on them, but they are excellent. Maybe not technically to the same level as some of the more expensive stuff, but for the price they are great, definitely hits my preferences, seemingly more than the fdx01. So yea, my wallet says boo you.

Jan 13, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #482 of 1,383
Sorry about the wallet, though relevant to this thread, I too share your thoughts that the ER2XR "definitely hits my preferences, seemingly more than the FDX1".

The ER2XR have been getting all my ear-time lately, though I'll have to go back and do a more direct A/B comparison with the FDX1.

One thing worth noting is the ER2XR and FDX1 have near identical frequency response up to 1 KHz; the ER2XR then has a Diffuse Field bump, whereas the FDX1's bump is in a higher frequency range. So maybe that's where the difference in preference lies: where a person prefers that "bump".

The bass for me just feels so... Thin, on the fdx01. I wonder then if it's maybe due to insertion depth differences or maybe as some have said that the fdx01 rotating pieces are maybe not sealed as well as they could be.

I haven't given up on the fdx01, but the er2xr definitely hooked me from the first listen where the fdx01 didn't. And at the price... Yea it's quite good.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #483 of 1,383
The bass for me just feels so... Thin, on the fdx01. I wonder then if it's maybe due to insertion depth differences or maybe as some have said that the fdx01 rotating pieces are maybe not sealed as well as they could be.

The FDX1 doesn't have a particulary rich & meaty bass as most of the energy comes from way down low in the sub-bass region, so I can see why to some people it's a bass light IEM. This was clearly done to mitigate any bass bleed and to highlight the airiness in the upper mids. JVC is clearly playing to this IEM's strength by tuning the bass this way, and I think they made the right move since this IEM doesn't really do well with busy tracks and I feel more mid-upper bass would just make a mess out of everything.

Also, like you mentioned, the rotating nozzle makes for a incredibly finnicky fit. I feel like this there's a hundred different ways this IEM can sit in your ears, and every time I come to adjust it, it just causes more issues with comfort and sound.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #484 of 1,383
The FDX1 doesn't have a particulary rich & meaty bass as most of the energy comes from way down low in the sub-bass region, so I can see why to some people it's a bass light IEM. This was clearly done to mitigate any bass bleed and to highlight the airiness in the upper mids. JVC is clearly playing to this IEM's strength by tuning the bass this way, and I think they made the right move since this IEM doesn't really play well with busy tracks and I feel more mid-upper bass would just make a mess out of everything.

Also, like you mentioned, the rotating nozzle makes for a incredibly finnicky fit. I feel like this there's a hundred different ways this IEM can sit in your ears, and every time I come to adjust it, it just causes more issues with comfort and sound.

I think part of it is my expectations and what I am coming from currently (ier z1r) and in the past (campfire atlas).

I also do prefer a aubbass focus normally (or at least prefer it not to be rolled off) as I like the more physical rumble over something that's just mid bass focused and boomy.

I'm doing a quick listen and some comparison right now and think I may not have given the fdx1 it's proper due initially. Bass is definitely present and extends deep, it's just not particularly powerful or physical. Seems very track dependent too. I guess when I'm used to listening to others with more of a bass focus, the track doesnt matter as much as they will bring it out regardless.

That said, based on my impressions and a/b, the er2xr and fdx1 actually seem fairly similar overall with more in common than different. The er2xr definitely seems the better value at less than half the price, but I think that likely says more positive about the er2xr rather than anything negative exactly about the fdx1.

I may ha e overextended myself in terms of iems on hand as I likely need more time with them to make decisions but I think I can see a place for both in my collection (especially since I already own them and normally don't like going through the hassle of selling).

Just gotta make time for these value buys in-between listening to the high end stuff.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #485 of 1,383
That said, based on my impressions and a/b, the er2xr and fdx1 actually seem fairly similar overall with more in common than different. The er2xr definitely seems the better value at less than half the price, but I think that likely says more positive about the er2xr rather than anything negative exactly about the fdx1.

How would you compare the ER2 with the FDX1 in terms of timbre and imaging? The FDX1 was a suprise to me because of how natural and organic everything sounded. I sold my ER4XR / SR because while they were great at picking up all the fine details and highlighting them, like Crinacle said, they were one of the flattest IEM's in terms of imaging. Everything sound so etched and defined, but there was no depth and presence to the the vocals / instruments in respect to the soundstage. Does the dynamic driver in the ER2 fare better in this regard?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #486 of 1,383
How would you compare the ER2 with the FDX1 in terms of timbre and imaging? The FDX1 was a suprise to me because of how natural and organic everything sounded. I sold my ER4XR / SR because while they were great at picking up all the fine details and highlighting them, like Crinacle said, they were one of the flattest IEM's in terms of imaging. Everything sound so etched and defined, but there was no depth and presence to the the vocals / instruments in respect to the soundstage. Does the dynamic driver in the ER2 fare better in this regard?

Well never heard the er4, so I cant compare there, but as I said in my last post, the er2xr and fdx1 seem more similar than different and that includes timbre and imaging. But that's just from a short listening session. There's clear differences, they just aren't that large. The fdx1 seems to have a little more treble energy while the er2xr is a little flatter and smoother up top. But on timbre and imaging from my brief listen session I think they are rather similar, that is to say both are good in those regards.

Will definitely need more time though since I have barely any time on both... And I also popped in the z1r to compare and then... Well once the z1r goes in it usually stays as it's just so engaging (also like 10-20 times more expensive).

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #487 of 1,383

The HA-FDX1 basically exists for people who find DF/Harman upper mids shriekingly harsh, so it’s not surprising that people who prefer the ER2 wouldn’t be too keen on it. You should be aware of your personal 3 kHz target pinna gain before making any high-end IEM purchasing decision.

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #488 of 1,383
Just my 2c, I haven't heard the ER2XR, but own the ER4S (and have tried some others). As far as I'm concerned, Etys are very different animals. They usually require much deeper fit, which feels rather uncomfortable for me. Plus, the deep fit seems to collapse soundstage size, so while instrument separation is still very good, everything seems to come from a very confined space inside my head. This makes Etys not all that attractive for me. YMMV.

I know of one confirmed FDX1, on which one side had much less bass than the other. Therefore I'd recommend to perform this test, if you feel that your FDX1 sounds much too thin:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dro...ilable-in-the-us.912737/page-30#post-15401252

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #489 of 1,383
The HA-FDX1 basically exists for people who find DF/Harman upper mids shriekingly harsh, so it’s not surprising that people who prefer the ER2 wouldn’t be too keen on it. You should be aware of your personal 3 kHz target pinna gain before making any high-end IEM purchasing decision.

Huh? The FDX1 exists because JVC released the FD01 with "shriekingly harsh" upper mids at about 2 KHz to 6 KHz (peaking around 4 KHz) - but then James444 found a mod that tamed that harshness.

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #490 of 1,383
Huh? The FDX1 exists because JVC released the FD01 with "shriekingly harsh" upper mids at about 2 KHz to 6 KHz (peaking around 4 KHz) - but then James444 found a mod that tamed that harshness.

To clarify, the FDX1 was not literally made to be an alternative to the likes of Etys. People who are upper-mid sensitive are simply who the FDX1 is most appropriate for.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #491 of 1,383
My FDX1 replacement are on their way... arriving tomorrow; and I miss them :beyersmile: I like my DM6's very much, the FDX1 are in a different league.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #495 of 1,383
I have hinted at my issues with my pair of FDX1 and it is time to share with you and try to get a better picture of the situation.

Short history:
I have had the JVC FD02 for 8 months and modded them with some micropore tape, documented here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/page-13#post-14870966
The FD02 is exactly the same as the FDX1, except of a fixed nozzle, a stainless steel driver cage and a different cable. Also in Crinacle's measurements the FD02 and FDX1 measure very similar above 1kHz and basically identical below 1kHz. I love the FD02 and ordered the FDX1, hoping for a better cable and liking the idea of being able to quickly change the tuning.

I received the IEMs about 10 days ago and noticed that the rotating mechanism is much looser than on my FD02, so much so that they would easily rotate, even when just inserting them into my ears. On one of the ear pieces a small gap opened when pulling the shell parts apart. The other thing I noticed immediately was a very thin sound, with none of the nice sub bass I was used to from my FD02. What followed was an analysis and a lengthy discussion with @james444 who was extremly helpful and patient, supporting me through the process.
I have a simple measurement setup with Dayton IMM-6 microphone and 3d printed coupler, which is by no means very accurate but serves well for comparative measurements. The first measurements showed that one earpiece had a somewhat weak bass response, the other even less. The measurements looked like a leak in the shell, so I tried to find it and see if I could fix it without returning the IEMs. I tried taping the seam of the rotating mechanism and any potential source of leaking, taking measurements after every change. In the end the IEM looked like this:
CA164810-F067-4045-BFC3-0E2E58F9678C.jpeg

The only measurable and audible change was when I taped the front vent of the one IEM with the even weaker bass response. It increased to a similar level as the other ear piece. This slightly improved the sound but it was still seriously off IMO. The other ear piece did not change measurably when taping the front vent. IMO this indicates a problem with the acoustic filter in the front vent on the worse IEM.

In the meantime I have been in contact with the very friendly, fast and helpful from Drop, who offered me an exchange or refund.
I really want to have a good pair of FDX1, but based on my experiences and other statements in forums I am wondering if I just got unlucky or if these are wider spread issues.
Therefore I created a simple GOOGLE DOC spread sheet to get some statistically relevant information.

Id' appreciate your support to fill this in, also if your samples are good
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1veF86mHF-A9imr9IcfDANUJIGiqpo_tug73aI_QsKbc/edit?usp=sharing

Before returning them I ran a series of measurements of my FD02 (unmodded), the 2 FDX1 ear pieces with empty nozzle and as a reference also my Sony EX800ST to have a clear picture of how the 2 FDX1 measure. I was very careful and measured each ear piece twice to verify that I had good repeatability.

Below the results from this measurement, normalized at 1kHz
FD02: Light blue curve "2a" - only one ear piece since both measure virtually identical
EX800ST: green and yellow - for reference
FDX1-1: red, "2e"
FDX1-2: purple, "2d"
Dark blue: artefact of the APP, didn't manage to avoid that.

DF5ECA37-DF8F-4BA8-B98B-C51CA1628171.png

Some comments:
The FD02 curve seems to match Crinacle's measurements pretty well, with slightly higher bass measured with my setup (about 8dB between 700Hz and 60Hz vs 6-7dB in Crinacles measurement). Also the 3-5kHz bump is very close in amplitude at about 11-12 dB.
I would expect the FDX1 to measure about the same below 1kHz, as shown in Crinacle's curves (see below)
However, my samples measure very, very different to those that Crinacle reviewed.

graph.png

My pair will be sent to Drop within the next 2 weeks and I hope to get a feedback about their findings when they can listen to them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back