Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Mar 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #166 of 597
Thanks for all your hard work Joe, after a ton of reading I'm gonna pull the trigger on a Thousand Sounds TS842.  It was basically between that and the Aud 5x.  I'm not sure why, but I had trouble wrapping my head around the idea of less drivers on the TS842.

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #168 of 597
I have 3 question for you.

1.Is that ice blue colour ? I am in the process of ordering but they seem quite limited in the colours available.

2. Would you say that there is less bass in the AUD 5-x in comparison to the Ts842. I currently own a reshelled TF10. I am content with the amount of bass it produces but I do not want anything less.

# . Lastly ....Perhaps I should ask this question in the cable review thread but do the Chris cables fit ? IT seems from your review that they were very tight. Thanks !

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #169 of 597

Quote:
Thanks for sharing, it seems like you are growing into them. I can say that many of my custom IEMs have changed over time due to burn in as I can A/B them out of the box and then again later (which it sounds like you can also do) and get a very different result.  I am interested to hear how the Ety's sound now after you get used to the 5X and then go back.  The 5X technically is close to being on par with several $1K custom IEMs, but the one place they fall behind is clarity due to the midrange presentation.

Bummer about the helmet, I hope you figure out a way.  Keep us updated on that and how your listening experiences...

Seconded.  The Ety sound has massive appeal for me so I'd love to hear a comparison focussed on how vocals are presented in each IEM.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #170 of 597

Quote:
I have 3 question for you.

1.Is that ice blue colour ? I am in the process of ordering but they seem quite limited in the colours available.

2. Would you say that there is less bass in the AUD 5-x in comparison to the Ts842. I currently own a reshelled TF10. I am content with the amount of bass it produces but I do not want anything less.

# . Lastly ....Perhaps I should ask this question in the cable review thread but do the Chris cables fit ? IT seems from your review that they were very tight. Thanks !

#1 - I am not sure, I just asked for blue.  This was long before the site update with the color options.

#2 - The 5X has more bass emphasis than the TS842, but the TS842 has more sub-bass rumble with select tracks that have a lot of high volume sub-bass, mainly electronic.  But, the 5X bass is tighter and faster.

#3 - Tight is OK as long as you plan on using the cable, but the stock cable still fits the 5X fine after using the CH cable.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #171 of 597
One more question . Do the pins go all the way in? Thanks so much !

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #173 of 597

Quote:

Yep, they sure do!  The picture is of the new plugs that were made to work with recessed sockets, and after I plugged the CH cable in, the stock cable still fit fine.  Just a note, on my CH cables (both the standard cable and a balanced cable I have), the negative pin is the one with the dot while the positive pin on the 5X is the one with the dot, so the CH cable should have the dot facing down.

Quote:
I decided to order the Aud-5X's and sent my impressions in last week. I can't wait!!

Great to hear, let us know about your experience and how they sound to you when you get them!

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #174 of 597

Quote:

Yep, they sure do!  The picture is of the new plugs that were made to work with recessed sockets, and after I plugged the CH cable in, the stock cable still fit fine.  Just a note, on my CH cables (both the standard cable and a balanced cable I have), the negative pin is the one with the dot while the positive pin on the 5X is the one with the dot, so the CH cable should have the dot facing down.

Quote:
I decided to order the Aud-5X's and sent my impressions in last week. I can't wait!!

Great to hear, let us know about your experience and how they sound to you when you get them!

Excellent!

Cannot thank you enough. Your insight has guided my past purchases.

Cost of performance is important to me and aud-5x fits the bill. Now comes the test of patience.

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #176 of 597
I jumped in the Aud-5x club as well a couple weeks ago, the anticipation is quite unbearable.  Mitch said he should ship them out sometime this week though so we will see.  Currently I have SM3's, ER4p/s, and AKG K340 (yeah they are full-sized but it will be a nice comparison).  So we shall see how these stack up when they come in.  

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #178 of 597
I look forward to your impressions Colinharding.

I finally pulled the trigger on these yesterday, and anticipate them to be the next step upwards. I've experience of plenty of mid tier / top tier universals, but this is my first custom. My impressions will reflect this, and I hope they'll be useful to anyone thinking of making the jump.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #179 of 597

Quote:
hey average_joe, I noticed your new(er) ACS T1 Live! review and was quite intrigued.  Do you have any comments in regards to how the aud 5x compare to these higher priced iems?

It depends on the genre of music you listen to.  With electronic of pop, the 5X is on par or sometimes better due to the bass response, but with acoustic, many of the custom IEMs that cost double sound more tonally correct and natural.  The ACS T1 Live! is one of the more natural sounding vs the more exciting sounding 5X.

Quote:
I look forward to your impressions Colinharding.

I finally pulled the trigger on these yesterday, and anticipate them to be the next step upwards. I've experience of plenty of mid tier / top tier universals, but this is my first custom. My impressions will reflect this, and I hope they'll be useful to anyone thinking of making the jump.

Congrats, looking forward to your thoughts as well.  I am sure your perspective will be much appreciated by many.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #180 of 597
Hi, I'm really new to the higher end iems. I mostly listen to dub step, drum n' bass and other electronic music. I've been looking at getting IE8/IE80, but then I found this forum and average_joe's reviews :) Now I'm really not sure whether to get the Sennheiser or the aud-5x - with the price of the molds the aud-5x will be close to double of the price of IE8s. Can you advise? Would there be a significant difference in sound with the type of music I listen no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back