Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Mar 16, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #181 of 597
That is a tough one since the 5X will perform at a higher level, but there are some things to consider:
- The difference to my ears will be large, but to your ears it might be or maybe not (but you would need both to really know); this is based on perspective and is subjective.
- The journey helps with the appreciation of the sound in incremental steps, helping you see what you are getting with each step.
- If you haven't heard the quality of the IE8/IE80, then you won't know what you are missing with the 5X.
   - And, on that note some people will be satisfied with that while others will think about what could be; which describes you?
- Oh, and there is the difference in sound signatures; if you can figure out which is to your preference, I would go for that!

Hopefully that will give you some things to contemplate.  Let us know your thoughts and if you have other questions.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #182 of 597

Quote:
Hi, I'm really new to the higher end iems. I mostly listen to dub step, drum n' bass and other electronic music. I've been looking at getting IE8/IE80, but then I found this forum and average_joe's reviews :) Now I'm really not sure whether to get the Sennheiser or the aud-5x - with the price of the molds the aud-5x will be close to double of the price of IE8s. Can you advise? Would there be a significant difference in sound with the type of music I listen no?

What was it that interests you about the IE8? If it's warmth or bass quantity, there are other CIEMs at this price-point which may better suit your preference.  

Average_Joe raises some good questions for you to consider. Also, if it's any help, I'm very much into D&B and other forms of electronic music. Although I've not heard the IE8, I have used a few other top-tier universals (see sig) and the AUD-5X will be my first custom. Will be posting impressions in due course.

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #183 of 597
Oh, and another question for you Average_Joe:

I've been using your cable review thread (yet another excellent resource by the way - thanks) and am interested in buying the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable for use with the AUD-5X (which appears to be a favorable synergy) as well as my ASG-1.

How much of an improvement would you say that this cable brings to the AUD-5X? I know that such measurements are almost impossible to quantify objectively, so am interested more in your personal experience than advice about how I may or may not perceive the change. I know in what respects it improves upon the AUD-5Xs sound, but was wondering how incremental these improvements are, in the context of your level of appreciation as oppose to mine.  

Thanks in advance.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #184 of 597

Quote:
Oh, and another question for you Average_Joe:

I've been using your cable review thread (yet another excellent resource by the way - thanks) and am interested in buying the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable for use with the AUD-5X (which appears to be a favorable synergy) as well as my ASG-1.

How much of an improvement would you say that this cable brings to the AUD-5X? I know that such measurements are almost impossible to quantify objectively, so am interested more in your personal experience than advice about how I may or may not perceive the change. I know in what respects it improves upon the AUD-5Xs sound, but was wondering how incremental these improvements are, in the context of your level of appreciation as oppose to mine.  

Thanks in advance.

Cables IMO make subtle to moderate changes depending on the CIEM, and in many cases the cable can make a bigger change than going from a $120 amp to a $400 amp for example, but it really depends on the IEM.  The 5X doesn't improve as much as the JH16, but there is a tangible improvement to me as described in that thread.  It is the little things, the finer details that add more realism to the presentation.  For example, you get a picture with a TV, but the more resolution you have, the more realistic it seems.  Moving to 3D can add even more realism, and what the cables do is improve incrementally the resolution of fine details and the presentation of space.  If you don't necessarily hear space the same way I do, and I am pretty sure there are some people on head-fi that don't for whatever reason, then I think the majority of the improvements I hear will be lost on that person.

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #185 of 597
A good analogy and digestible description. Thanks.

Whilst I lack experience with IEMs (a little over 9 months into the addiction), I do share a similar sensitivity towards the enhancement (or dampening) of finer details. For example, I used to be able to accurately determine the bit-rate of an MP3 99.9% of the time in blind tests. I say used to as I never went back after switching to FLAC. Although I imagine the improvements introduced by after market cables to be subtler still, I still feel, particularly after what you've said, that the change would be significant enough to further my listening experience.

Whilst I was having the ear impressions taken yesterday the audiologist recommended ACS or Pure Tone, subtly discouraging me from going with this little know and outlandish company based so far away. Needless to say, his tune changed somewhat after I mentioned the spec and price / performance ratio, and he's now ordering some for himself.

I sent my impressions off this morning, and can confirm for anyone thinking of going down the Dream Earz route that Mitch appears to be top bloke who's communication is prompt and helpful.     

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #186 of 597
^ truth in that Mitch is quite alright! Texting me responses promptly when hes not available to talk. He does go out of his way to do things for his customers. Its the little things that matter and I respect him for that.

Disclaimer --- I haven't received my 5x's yet so I reserve the right to change my opinion ha!

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #187 of 597

Quote:
That is a tough one since the 5X will perform at a higher level, but there are some things to consider:
- The difference to my ears will be large, but to your ears it might be or maybe not (but you would need both to really know); this is based on perspective and is subjective.
- The journey helps with the appreciation of the sound in incremental steps, helping you see what you are getting with each step.
- If you haven't heard the quality of the IE8/IE80, then you won't know what you are missing with the 5X.
   - And, on that note some people will be satisfied with that while others will think about what could be; which describes you?
- Oh, and there is the difference in sound signatures; if you can figure out which is to your preference, I would go for that!

Hopefully that will give you some things to contemplate.  Let us know your thoughts and if you have other questions.

Thanks for the prompt response! I get your point, I've gone through part of the journey with my home audio where I'm currently at Pioneer Elite, Energy RC-70s + Epik subwoofer. On the portable audio, I've only got extensive experience with MDR-EX70 (on the go), Porta Pro (in the office; I like the bass quantity, but I wouldn't mind if it reached lower) and ATH-NC7 (flying; while keeping reasonable amount of bass I was impressed by the clarity of the sound compared to the porta pros). My priorities are:

• impactful and deep bass
  • sound comfort - with some speakers (experienced with KEF3005SE for example) when listening for extended period of time (hours) my ears start to ache - this doesn't happen to me with any of my earphones
  • sound isolation

Not enough experience to express exactly what I'm looking for, hopefully the above gives some idea. While I get agree with the journey route I'm buying earphones only once in a couple of years (I'm not looking yet for another addiction here :).

Thanks again for your feedback.

Quote:
What was it that interests you about the IE8? If it's warmth or bass quantity, there are other CIEMs at this price-point which may better suit your preference.  

Average_Joe raises some good questions for you to consider. Also, if it's any help, I'm very much into D&B and other forms of electronic music. Although I've not heard the IE8, I have used a few other top-tier universals (see sig) and the AUD-5X will be my first custom. Will be posting impressions in due course.

I personally haven't heard the IE8. After spending quite a bit of time in the forums I came to a conclusion that for the type of music I listen to and to enjoy the bass IE8 is a good way to go. Which of your earphones do you like the most for D&B?

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #188 of 597
Strangely enough, the SM3... though for other forms of electronic music (prog/psytrance, ambient, deep house etc) the ASG-1 and FXT90. I guess my SM3 preference was down to the sub-genre of d&b I like most - early analogue, techy, warm sci-fi sounds - if that at all makes sense! If it's bass you're after however, and you can tolerate synthetic enhancement / recessed mids, the FX-700 is hard to beat.

From what I gather, the AUD-5X is an altogether more balanced beast, which is capable of putting out serious bass when called for, but puts equal emphasis on transparency, dynamics, soundstage proportions, and bass / midrange resolution. For my needs this reads perfect (read being the word!), as I listen to a wide variety of genres and seek an ever wider range of sonic qualities to best present those genres.

Ok, I'm doing an awful lot of talking for somebody who has never even hear this CIEM... perhaps my excitement is getting the better of me and I should shut up until it arrives! 
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #189 of 597

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt response! I get your point, I've gone through part of the journey with my home audio where I'm currently at Pioneer Elite, Energy RC-70s + Epik subwoofer. On the portable audio, I've only got extensive experience with MDR-EX70 (on the go), Porta Pro (in the office; I like the bass quantity, but I wouldn't mind if it reached lower) and ATH-NC7 (flying; while keeping reasonable amount of bass I was impressed by the clarity of the sound compared to the porta pros). My priorities are:

• impactful and deep bass
  • sound comfort - with some speakers (experienced with KEF3005SE for example) when listening for extended period of time (hours) my ears start to ache - this doesn't happen to me with any of my earphones
  • sound isolation

Not enough experience to express exactly what I'm looking for, hopefully the above gives some idea. While I get agree with the journey route I'm buying earphones only once in a couple of years (I'm not looking yet for another addiction here :).

Thanks again for your feedback.

I personally haven't heard the IE8. After spending quite a bit of time in the forums I came to a conclusion that for the type of music I listen to and to enjoy the bass IE8 is a good way to go. Which of your earphones do you like the most for D&B?

Without knowing exactly what you want, custom IEMs can be a risk.  Some people prefer dynamic driver sound vs. BA sound, which is different.  From your sound comfort explanation, and some people are more sensitive than others, you should also look at the i9pro as it has a very low potential to be fatiguing IMO.

Quote:
Strangely enough, the SM3... though for other forms of electronic music (prog/psytrance, ambient, deep house etc) the ASG-1 and FXT90. I guess my SM3 preference was down to the sub-genre of d&b I like most - early analogue, techy, warm sci-fi sounds - if that at all makes sense! If it's bass you're after however, and you can tolerate synthetic enhancement / recessed mids, the FX-700 is hard to beat.

From what I gather, the AUD-5X is an altogether more balanced beast, which is capable of putting out serious bass when called for, but puts equal emphasis on transparency, dynamics, soundstage proportions, and bass / midrange resolution. For my needs this reads perfect (read being the word!), as I listen to a wide variety of genres and seek an ever wider range of sonic qualities to best present those genres.

Ok, I'm doing an awful lot of talking for somebody who has never even hear this CIEM... perhaps my excitement is getting the better of me and I should shut up until it arrives! 
wink.gif

That reminds me of way back when I got the SM3.  I really liked it with the triple flange tips with bass heavy electronic music.  The 5X does smoke the SM3 to my ears, though.  And I am looking forward to your impressions once you have has some time with the 5X Nulliverse.  

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #190 of 597
5x's sent back for refit on 2-8-12, received by fisher at lastest by the 12th. received back here 3-12 or so  refit feels too big for my ear. its painful.  never had this even with my first ever custom (also by fisher) that i can remember. emailed mitch this morning letting him know of the situation. id hate to have to send it back for another month, but if its too painful to use, what good is great sound. oh how i missed their sound!  i wonder if fisher being super busy the last couple months has anything to do with it. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #191 of 597
Oh man, that stinks.  I have had that experience where the shell has been too large for whatever reason, making it uncomfortable.  On the flip side, when a shell is too small I have been trying non-toxic nail polish to add some thickness to the canals.

The wait is painful, though.  I have read about many issues and received even more PMs about fit issues from various companies, some more than others recently, and there seems to be no pattern at all.  I do know that some of my refits were my fault while others were not, but there is no way of knowing.  Given the same impressions, you won't always get the same result for whatever reason.  I also have had over compensation, except the opposite from too small to too big, so now I have a decision to make myself, although I am going to try the nail polish trick.  

However, with that being said, the possible several iterations can be painful time wise, but once it is done right (assuming it gets there), then it will be worth it.  Another option is to send a custom IEM that fits you well along with your 5X, but of course, there are risks with that.  Unfortunately most companies don't return your impressions for future use, so you can send a known good set.

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #192 of 597
yea, i know these things happen. my first two customs were perfect fits and i felt bad for all those having constant fit issues so i guess a couple refits for 3 CIEMs isnt too bad!  too bad i dont hae ny other ciems for them to match =\    we'll get there though. sound wise for the price, its worth the time getting it right.   i did get my impressions back so i still have them.  i always got them done at the same place and the first 2 CIEMs were using the same impression that i didnt get back from JHA.  

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #193 of 597
Welp the wait is over here!  Got my customs yesterday evening and have been listening all day.  Average_joe was pretty on par with these as far as his impressions go.  Speaking of I'm sorry for all the fitting issues you're having caracara08 but my impressions were returned with the monitors and they fit perfectly.  Compared to the SM3 I'd say these definitely sound better though it may be a more upgraded sound than just flat out better.  It is the same kind of heavy sound signature with less emphasis on the low and low midrange.  These phones tend to have a very deep and responsive low end without being too intruding.  When the bass is needed it is certainly there, when it isn't, well it just isn't.  They are quite warm and I can understand some listeners taking that for "cloudy" or "muffled" but to be exact they are just on the warmer heavier side of sound.  There really isn't anything thin or analytical about them.  I have listened for a few hours straight now and notice no fatigue at all as I do from say my ER4Ps.  The midrange is forward, quite lush, and very smooth.  There is a slight bump in the highs but not nearly to the extent of the Ety's.  If the frequency response on the SM3's is very bass heavy and then quickly rolls off after the midrange the Aud-5x is like a W.  There is a slight bass hump, noticeable midrange bump, and a very slight high frequency bump.  Where the SM3 is very heavy and seems like it has a lot of headroom, due to the rolled off high frequencies, the Aud-5x is more involving and accurate with respect to where the instruments are.  These come very close to my k340's which are a bit brighter oddly enough, somehow I just wasn't expecting that. Overall these are quite nice and I'm very impressed with how they sound.  Our of my iPhone they aren't the best, a little muddy, but with a portable (I'm using a TTVJ slim) they really shine.  They are also very easy to drive.  For those who like a lot of high frequency this is not the monitor for you.  Yes there is a bump up there but they roll off fairly severely around 18k if not before.  Anyway, hope this helps those who are waiting or deciding whether or not to buy.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back