Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Dec 23, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #601 of 1,192
I had the M11 and DFC sounds better than that. But I also just got a Fiio BTR5 BT/DAC and even over LDAC BT it sounds fabulous with my SE846's, especially via balanced.

A have the new Sony A105 too and I'd say that's as good as the DFC but different Sound Sig. DFC more tingly highs and wider soundstage.
Thanks for your thoughts. Would you say that the DFC's sound quality is a step above the BTR5? I am seriously considering between this 2 devices, and would like to hear your view on these 2 devices.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #602 of 1,192
Thanks for your thoughts. Would you say that the DFC's sound quality is a step above the BTR5? I am seriously considering between this 2 devices, and would like to hear your view on these 2 devices.

Yes, but not for 3x the price of BTR5 (DFC rrp £269). At £150 I paid 2nd hand its great.

BTR5 is more convenient over LDAC BT but of course another thing to keep charged.

If you had never heard the DFC you would be perfectly happy with the BTR5 if using it Balanced, as SE is not quite as good.

The BTR5 really is a bargain for the price.

As always it also depends in your own hearing and sound signature you prefer plus the synergy with the headphones/IEM's your using so you really should try before you but if you can, especially with the cost of the DFC. The BTR5 for ~£80 is just totally worth it.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #603 of 1,192
Yes, but not for 3x the price of BTR5 (DFC rrp £269). At £150 I paid 2nd hand its great.

BTR5 is more convenient over LDAC BT but of course another thing to keep charged.

If you had never heard the DFC you would be perfectly happy with the BTR5 if using it Balanced, as SE is not quite as good.

The BTR5 really is a bargain for the price.
Thanks a bunch for this comparison man. I have been scouring the internet to see if anyone can provide any insights on to sound quality between this 2 for some time.

I think I would be happy with a BTR5 too. Just need to get hold of a balanced cable for my campfire vega it seems.

I felt that the cobalt was way too overpriced as well. However I did come across this review , where the reviewer feels that the monolith USB DAC performs at the same level as the cobalt at 1/3 the price. So right now, my 2 options are the monolith USB DAC or the BTR5. The reviewer mentioned that he will have another in dept video comparing the 2 devices (Monolith and Cobalt). I will make a choice after that. Once again thanks man.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #604 of 1,192
I'm only using the BTR5 over LDAC BT, not as wired DAC.

LDAC BT is obviously not bit-perfect for the audiophile purists but if just going on what you hear and you like ESS DAC signature you should like the BTR5.

So much better than the BTR3 I had and I also think SQ better than the EarStudio I had too.

Might be placebo/mind games but DFC at its best with Tidal MQA tracks.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #605 of 1,192
So after seeing reviews from various sources, and being excited from quotes like.
John Darko: " My overriding message here is that the Cobalt is way better than the sound of the analog output of my macbook pro, way better like not even close."
Sound & Picture: " Ridiculously good upgrade." "Gives a significant sound improvement" "Prepare yourself for something you've never heard from your phone before"
I could write way more quotes and comments like the ones from Steve Gutenbergs Youtube video like: "it makes my HD660 shine" and so on but you get the deal.

I decided to get the Cobalt, now that I have just got a phone with only usb-c.
I plugg it in my macbook air 2015 as a first try and can't hear any difference. I then try it on my OnePlus 7 pro and the same, can't hear any difference.
I plugg it in and out between the 3,5 and the Cobalt sitting next to it on the macbook and I really try to see if I can hear any difference, and between the one plus and the macbook. Between the usb-c to 3,5mm adaptor and the cobalt on the OnePlus alone.

I can't hear any difference, none not even in eq, like the bass was more boosted or anything.
I really try to hear if I think it is more quite in the background or more clear and can't tell at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just as a comparison. The sound of the 3,5mm of my Huawei Mate 7 sounds more rich than my macbook air 2015
It might be more eq than anything but still a clear preference towards the Huawei. I don't even have to plug in and out to hear that difference.
Like 20% better, and I can with ease make a blind decision of which is which, from one day to another if a had to.

The cobalt clearly amps the headphones and the light changes with different kHz.

My question is of course is there anything wrong with my Cobalt?
Am I deaf? ; )

Is there anyone whom sits on a macbook pro or air and can compare the 3,5mm to cobalt or red with their "lesser" modells like Meze neo 99, H6, 1AM2 or similar. 200-300€
Like what difference do you hear? How much better is it 10% 30% 50%? is it like, "There should be no chance in hell that you can't hear the difference"?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first post on Head-fi so I also want so say Marry Xmas. And thanks in advance!! = )

Dec 23, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #606 of 1,192
So after seeing reviews from various sources, and being excited from quotes like.
John Darko: " My overriding message here is that the Cobalt is way better than the sound of the analog output of my macbook pro, way better like not even close."
Sound & Picture: " Ridiculously good upgrade." "Gives a significant sound improvement" "Prepare yourself for something you've never heard from your phone before"
I could write way more quotes and comments like the ones from Steve Gutenbergs Youtube video like: "it makes my HD660 shine" and so on but you get the deal.

I plugg it in my macbook air 2015 as a first try and can't hear any difference. I then try it on my OnePlus 7 pro and the same, can't hear any difference.
I plugg it in and out between the 3,5 and the Cobalt sitting next to it on the macbook and I really try to see if I can hear any difference, and between the one plus and the macbook. Between the usb-c to 3,5mm adaptor and the cobalt on the OnePlus alone.

I can't hear any difference, none not even in eq, like the bass was more boosted or anything.
I really try to hear if I think it is more quite in the background or more clear and can't tell at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just as a comparison. The sound of the 3,5mm of my Huawei Mate 7 sounds more rich than my macbook air 2015
It might be more eq than anything but still a clear preference towards the Huawei. I don't even have to plug in and out to hear that difference.
Like 20% better, and I can with ease make a blind decision of which is which, from one day to another if a had to.

The cobalt clearly amps the headphones and the light changes with different kHz.

Am I deaf? ; )

Is there anyone whom sits on a macbook pro or air and can compare the 3,5mm to cobalt or red with their "lesser" modells like Meze neo 99, H6, 1AM2 or similar. 200-300€
Like what difference do you hear? How much better is it 10% 30% 50%? is it like, "There should be no chance in hell that you can't hear the difference"?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first post on Head-fi so I also want so say Marry Xmas. And thanks in advance!! = )
Your case is really weird imo. Cobalt sounds way better than any built-in dac of any of my devices I use but I don't have macbook so cannot say anything about that. Which earphone/headphone do you use?

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #607 of 1,192
Your case is really weird imo. Cobalt sounds way better than any built-in dac of any of my devices I use but I don't have macbook so cannot say anything about that. Which earphone/headphone do you use?

Hi thanks for such a fast reply. Have tried them with beats in ears as well. (got them with a phone.)
But mainly with B&O H6 2.nd gen. = )
https://marco.org/2016/03/02/beoplay-h6-v2-review
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/b-o-beoplay-h6-2nd-generation.21678/
https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/8/12128152/bang-olufsen-beoplay-h6-review

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #608 of 1,192
Hi thanks for such a fast reply. Have tried them with beats in ears as well. (got them with a phone.)
But mainly with B&O H6 2.nd gen. = )
https://marco.org/2016/03/02/beoplay-h6-v2-review
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/b-o-beoplay-h6-2nd-generation.21678/
https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/8/12128152/bang-olufsen-beoplay-h6-review

I haven’t heard the Cobalt but my experience with the H6 is that it’s not very sensitive to source changes. That’s one of its strengths, it’ll sound good on whatever.

but also: differences between competently implemented DACs and solid state amps is not usually a huge night and day change like going between two sets of headphones

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #609 of 1,192

Am I deaf? ; )

Apple uses pretty good DACs in all their products (Cirrus Logic, long time competitor of ESS), very neutral. ESS Sabre DACs are also pretty neutral, so, unless you are really trying hard to hear the difference, you won‘t find it. Main difference between Cirrus Logic used by Apple and ESS Sabre used in the DFC is less tonality, but how holographic is the 3d-imaging, and how ‚digital‘ is the perception of the sound, especially in the higher treble. Apple‘s implementation of Cirrus Logic sound too digital to my ears, other ways to describe it are too clinical... Unless you have a trained ear to look for such ‚minor‘ things and really good headphones, you most probably indeed won‘t notice a difference. Not because there is no, but Apple‘s products are already close to ‚very good‘ in terms of fidelity, any significant deviation - and that would be colored sound. And Cirrus Logic and ESS Sabre have more in common than they are different, they have very similar sound signature...

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #610 of 1,192

Am I deaf? ; )

I haven't heard the DFC, but I doubt that you're deaf. I once compared my DFR to my 2014 MacBook Air and could not discern a difference. There is a difference between the DFR and any phone I've tried it with (HTC One M8, Essential PH-1, Samsung S9) and the DFR was always better. I've read that that era of MacBook Air was particularly good sounding.

Jan 10, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #611 of 1,192
Just bought a cobalt during Christmas for my modest setup, iPhone 8 and Shure 215s. Overall, very happy with it. It gets to higher volumes but I don’t really care much about that. The biggest difference is the separation it clears up between the instruments. Didn’t know that was possible with my cheap headphones. Sound from instruments sound much more distinct. Can’t wait to find a good deal on quality iems to see what that can do.

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #612 of 1,192
I think what you're calling "milking the customer," AudioQuest would probably call "retaining sales" and "not going bankrupt."

Product pricing is a tricky business and there are books and business school classes dedicated to it. Part of the problem is that, if they had a lower price for the Cobalt, the DFC's sales will start to eat into the sales of the DFR; then they have to lower the price of the Red, then its sales will cannibalize the Black's sales. So they either raise the price of the top tier models so that it's meaningfully distinguishable from the lower models, or they risk losing sales of other models.
Then they could, say, drop the Black altogether and lower the price of the Red to fill somewhere closer to that price slot. Then what happens? Then, for new customers especially, people don't only see a $200 device that's now available for $100—a bargain— they also see a $100 device that used to sell for the absurd price of $200— a ripoff— and this image extends to the rest of the company's product portfolio. Things are further complicated by the fact that now the DFC no longer costs 50% more than the DFR, it costs 100% more.

I think part of the trick is that the price of a product isn't just a matter of adding up the costs of materials and R&D and manufacturing and whatever other overhead they have, it's all of that plus taking into consideration how that price affects how the customer perceives the value of that product, all similar products from that company, and, ultimately, all of that company's products (and beyond that, the value of all similar products throughout the market... and when that happens it's all a race to the bottom to see who can survive the longest on the lowest margins (Hint: it's Amazon)).

Does this mean that I agree with their pricing strategy? Eh, I don't know. I'd like to think that if it were up to me, I'd introduce two new products as upgrades/updates to the Black and Red, raise the prices by something like 10%-30%, and then discontinue both of the older models... Of course, this raises the problem of having a limited product portfolio.

Like I said, it's not just a matter of adding up costs and dividing it by sales. It's tricky.
I suppose it could be some of that happening. But one might think that AQ has in their labs trained ears listening to the competition. They know what they have and how it performs. It's demand they're after to help maximize profits. If they can sell something for $300 that costs them $25 that sounds like impressive mark-up. But what no one here knows is they spent on developing the product, marketing the product, and their overhead for labor, faclities, insurance, utilities, benefits/payroll, the list goes on...

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #613 of 1,192
For me what i hate most is marketing . I love my DFR , i use it every day but when you launch a new product and you try to create the need to buy it by comparing to the previous one which suddenly is not the super duper product you used to praise in all the reviews, then you dont respect me as a customer and you just want to sell . Not all companies are like that.
What are you talking about? Of course they are. I don't care if you're buying golf clubs, cars, clothes, DAC/Amps it's all the same game. Make some money. I believe AQ does one heckuva job putting out products that are amazing at affordable prices. You want to poo poo them for trying to make a better product, which I'm sure it is, and make good money while doing so? Stifle innovation by making profits a bad thing and see what you get.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #614 of 1,192
What are you talking about? Of course they are. I don't care if you're buying golf clubs, cars clothes, DAC/Amps it's all the same game. Make some money. I believe AQ does one heckuva job putting out products that are amazing at affordable prices. You want to poo poo them for trying to make a better product, which I'm sure it is, and make good money while doing so? Stifle innovation my making profits a bad thing and see what you get.

You can understand yourself?

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #615 of 1,192
You can understand yourself?
No, I get the point of AQ, the DFC, and people not wanting to pay for what something is worth. I deal with customers every day in my business. They think I'm rolling in a pool of money - I'm not. To operate a service business that manufactures or repairs anything of value you have overhead and costs that the typical anti-profit person doesn't understand. What I didn't understand was your viewpoint. I did see you're ESL so perhaps translation is the issue. Somehow I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back