Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jan 15, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #616 of 1,192
Jan 15, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #617 of 1,192
You just had to post this, didn't you! LOL. I'm still on the black 1.5 and think it sounds good enough for my limited time to listen. Makes no sense to spend $300 for something that isn't much better.
Thanks, just read the post but having had a DFR and now a DFC something was changed to make it sound better to my ears. Not a big jump like black to red. I only paid ~£30 more for my DFC as I sold my DFR for £120 and bought used DFC for £150 so worth the update for me.

Saying all this, I'm currently enjoying my new £75 Fiio BTR5 balanced over LDAC BT with my SE846's. Now that is a bargain! Would never have thought BT could come close to wired.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #620 of 1,192
Thanks, just read the post but having had a DFR and now a DFC something was changed to make it sound better to my ears. Not a big jump like black to red. I only paid ~£30 more for my DFC as I sold my DFR for £120 and bought used DFC for £150 so worth the update for me.

Saying all this, I'm currently enjoying my new £75 Fiio BTR5 balanced over LDAC BT with my SE846's. Now that is a bargain! Would never have thought BT could come close to wired.
I've got the ESS EarStudio which I like. It's a buggy device some days but overall decent. I'm looking at the Q5s from FiiO as well. Enjoy! I'm 3PuttFever and I approved this message.

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #621 of 1,192
I've got the ESS EarStudio which I like. It's a buggy device some days but overall decent. I'm looking at the Q5s from FiiO as well. Enjoy! I'm 3PuttFever and I approved this message.
Had the EarStudio but wasn't happy with build/quality/materials for the money or control buttons. Sounded great too, but BTR5 all-round nicer IMO.

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #622 of 1,192
You just had to post this, didn't you! LOL. I'm still on the black 1.5 and think it sounds good enough for my limited time to listen. Makes no sense to spend $300 for something that isn't much better.
Bruh. You use your ears to listen to it not by listening to those graph, don't you?. Just slightly change in graph will make a big difference in its sound. I owned both DFR and DFC. I dln't like DFR much to be honest but I love DFC. It sounds waaay better to my ears. Worth every penny upgrade from DFR to DFC.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #623 of 1,192
Just thought I would share my own personal experiences. I decided to go all in and buy all three dragonfly’s and the chord mojo to do a critical listening comparison of all 4 for my two main daily’s (Shure se846 and 1More Quad drivers). I also play hi res music from Amazon Music unlimited Ultra HD

Dragonfly Black

For the money, this DAC is very impressive. Definitely the best bang for your buck in terms of cost/improvement. Really steps up the music but it’s a very neutral sound signature so nothing really stands out.

Dragonfly Red

A marked improvement on the Black as the bass, treble and Mids are very audibly improved and more forward sounding to my ears. Soundstage is better than on the black but not amazing. It is Bass heavy but still an enjoyable listen.

Dragonfly Cobalt

Not as bass heavy as the Red but everything just sounds better. Much more crisp, detailed and the soundstage is incredible. In my opinion a worthy competitor to the Mojo and worth the steep price against the Red. It just sounds so much more pleasant. Nothing is too harsh but everything just sounds incredible.

Chord Mojo

This is the best of the 4 hands down. Noticed the biggest difference using my Shure se846 but the soundstage was better, instrument separation was incredible, Bass, Mids and Treble all sounded impeccable with nothing muddying over anything else. I couldn’t really hear any difference between the Mojo and the Coablt using my 1More’s or even using my Sennheiser Momentum 3 over ears. Seems the Mojo comes into its own with high end IEM’s like the se846.

Conclusion

The dragonfly’s are all amazing with the Cobalt definitely being the best of the three and considering the transportability and ease of use with it not needing to be charged to use, I would say the Cobalt is the Best Buy of the 3. But if you have the spare money and you do a lot of listening at a desktop or not moving, the Mojo really is just that bit better than the Cobalt. If money is tight, the Black is definitely worth the money. But if you’re going to spend a lot of money on a DAC, I would save that little bit more for the Cobalt over the Red.

I hope this helps anyone considering any of the options. I have since returned the Black and Red and plan to keep the Mojo and Cobalt. Mojo to use at my desktop, the Cobalt for going out and about.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #624 of 1,192
I didn't find sound stage wide with Mojo and DFC better. Hugo2 still best I've heard, but if you want value for money as a wired DAC/AMP or LDAC BT with balanced support too then try a BTR5.

I"ve sold all my other stuff now and just use BTR5/SE846 balanced with my S10+ (1TB storage).

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #625 of 1,192
Just got a Cobalt. After a few hours of listening I think it is a clear improvement over the Red. Everything sounds more relaxed and three dimensional. I've also got a BTR5 recently. It is really nice and convenient. Sounds good but the Cobalt sounds better to me in every way.

I've been using LDAC on the BTR5 listening all three devices with Andromeda SS

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #626 of 1,192
Just got a Cobalt. After a few hours of listening I think it is a clear improvement over the Red. Everything sounds more relaxed and three dimensional. I've also got a BTR5 recently. It is really nice and convenient. Sounds good but the Cobalt sounds better to me in every way.

I've been using LDAC on the BTR5 listening all three devices with Andromeda SS

And I just sold my Cobalt because BTR5 as a wired DAC sounds as good (to my ears) and also best BT LDAC audio I've heard too. (With SE846's)

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #627 of 1,192
And I just sold my Cobalt because BTR5 as a wired DAC sounds as good (to my ears) and also best BT LDAC audio I've heard too. (With SE846's)
I do understand that decision. I think the Cobalt sounds better when listening closely but if I really get any benefit during regular use is not yet clear. The BTR5 is more versatile for a third of the cost which is incredible value.

Do you think there is a difference between BTR5 wired and over bluetooth? I've not yet had time to compare the two modes.

Jan 18, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #628 of 1,192
I do understand that decision. I think the Cobalt sounds better when listening closely but if I really get any benefit during regular use is not yet clear. The BTR5 is more versatile for a third of the cost which is incredible value.

Do you think there is a difference between BTR5 wired and over bluetooth? I've not yet had time to compare the two modes.

Yes. I meant wired compared to Cobalt, not ovet BT.

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #629 of 1,192

how does 846 sound with btr5 versus DFC. Any hissing with any of them.

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #630 of 1,192
how does 846 sound with btr5 versus DFC. Any hissing with any of them.
None at all either balanced or SE. I've now sold my DFC as perfectly happy with BTR5 both wired and via LDAC BT.

No hiss with DFC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back