Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Dec 3, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #586 of 1,192
hello to all of you
i just have a question maybe also it is stupid
according to the led colors it is
Once attached to your laptop or smartphone, and selected as means of audio output, the DAC’s LED will shine one of six colours to indicate sampling rate: red for standby, green for 44.1kHz, blue for 48kHz, yellow for 88.2 kHz, light blue for 96kHz or purple when decoding MQA.

so today i got my new dragonfly and conected it to my huawei p30pro

i played 1 mqa song
1st play through tidal app and the color was light blue so 96khz
i then played it through uapp and i also got the paid version for the extra mqa decoding
gues what......color dark blue meaning 48khz
no purple not even light blue through uapp

am i missing something?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #590 of 1,192
I got the uuap.And bougt the mqa that you had to have,to get mqa on uuap.But it doesnt glow purple.In uuap tidal,it says 96khz on the right side of the song,and 44 or 48 on the left.It only glows green or blue.Is the something i have to do in settings?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #594 of 1,192
I have an iPhone 11 Pro and 1More Quad driver earphones. I’m considering getting a dragonfly (I have the budget for a cobalt if that’s what ends up being the best option). I don’t stream my music but instead buy them from the iTunes Store and download them to my phone (I don’t buy enough music regularly to warrant a streaming service plan). With that being the case and my music is capped at the size iTunes allows, would a dragonfly make any difference? And if so, which one would allow for the best quality sound from my earphones? I don’t want to get the DFC if it would be pointless.
Thanks in advance

Dec 9, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #595 of 1,192
I have an iPhone 11 Pro and 1More Quad driver earphones. I’m considering getting a dragonfly (I have the budget for a cobalt if that’s what ends up being the best option). I don’t stream my music but instead buy them from the iTunes Store and download them to my phone (I don’t buy enough music regularly to warrant a streaming service plan). With that being the case and my music is capped at the size iTunes allows, would a dragonfly make any difference? And if so, which one would allow for the best quality sound from my earphones? I don’t want to get the DFC if it would be pointless.
Thanks in advance
I didn’t own iphone 11 pro but ipad pro and samsung s9+. My DFC sounds way better with both device and it sounds even better than other dac at its price range (in my opinion) including his little brother DFR. Still not kinda sure what you ask? I use both streaming app like spotify and iTunes, it can use well with both. I don’t recommend buying dac more expensive than earphone tho. From my experience, more expensive earphone and some cheaper dac will give you a better sound than cheap-moderate earphone and expensive dac.

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #596 of 1,192
I didn’t own iphone 11 pro but ipad pro and samsung s9+. My DFC sounds way better with both device and it sounds even better than other dac at its price range (in my opinion) including his little brother DFR. Still not kinda sure what you ask? I use both streaming app like spotify and iTunes, it can use well with both. I don’t recommend buying dac more expensive than earphone tho. From my experience, more expensive earphone and some cheaper dac will give you a better sound than cheap-moderate earphone and expensive dac.
My main question is that, given I don’t stream from services such as tidal which offer hi res streaming, and I only play music I’ve downloaded from the iTunes Store, will a DF be of any benefit. But given your comment, would you then recommend the DFR or DFB and not the DFC? I understand the premise of not spending more on the DAC but given the headphones I use are quad drivers, I figured, of any of the headphones I use, they might be underperforming when playing just from the phone.

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #597 of 1,192
My main question is that, given I don’t stream from services such as tidal which offer hi res streaming, and I only play music I’ve downloaded from the iTunes Store, will a DF be of any benefit. But given your comment, would you then recommend the DFR or DFB and not the DFC? I understand the premise of not spending more on the DAC but given the headphones I use are quad drivers, I figured, of any of the headphones I use, they might be underperforming when playing just from the phone.
For me, DFB have more bass and DFR have better instrument seperation but both of them lack soundstage which I prefer the most (I am not really enjoy with any of them, actually) so I won't recommend them because DFC is a combination of them with upgraded everything and soundstage. You get it right about underperforming when playing from phone. Without external dac or dap, headphone will not fully perform its actual potential. I'm sorry I cannot recommend you any lightning dac, I try lot of usb-c but a few lightning dac.

Dec 10, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #598 of 1,192
I’m enjoying my new cobalt. It sounds better than my xdsd with my Westone UM 50 Pro. But I’m wondering: does a dap like the M11 Pro sound better? Thank you

I had the M11 and DFC sounds better than that. But I also just got a Fiio BTR5 BT/DAC and even over LDAC BT it sounds fabulous with my SE846's, especially via balanced.

A have the new Sony A105 too and I'd say that's as good as the DFC but different Sound Sig. DFC more tingly highs and wider soundstage.

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #599 of 1,192
I haven't commented since I started this whole thread some months ago but I thought I'd chime in with an update about how I use and enjoy my Cobalt. I actually use it as a quick and easy desktop system with my laptop. But there is a caveat: I use 2 other devices with it. I use the iFi Audio USB iPurifier3 and the iSilencer with a short USB A-to-B adapter. These two devices together really take the Cobalt to the next level. I rarily ever use my Micro iDSD BL anymore because the cobalt with these devices is just super. The headphone pictured are my favorite portable cans: Thinksound ON2 headphones. It's just a fantastic system to listen to Youtubes with.
IMG_0562_hf.jpg

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #600 of 1,192
I’ve just updated to IOS 13.3 and have noticed a high pitch noise when audio is playing and about ten seconds after it’s been paused. Has anyone else noticed this? This doesn’t happen with the apple dac. This wasn’t an issue before last night before the update. It is fairly noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back