Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Oct 19, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #556 of 1,192
Hmmm, I’m using an iPhone XR with iOS 13.1.2. I don’t know what DFC firmware I’ve got, but I’ve never updated it so I presume 1.0.

I haven’t used the DFC with my phone for a few weeks and updated the iOS during that time, so only noticed this morning. Tried restarting the phone and that didn’t fix it. I usually use Onkyo HF player, but I tried YouTube as an alternative app and likewise no output from DFC. Usually at the bottom next to volume control you can bring up a pop up window which will show you the available audio output options, but DFC doesn’t show as an option for me.
04CB9F16-3F60-42FB-9E82-D9278192C87E.png
So there is. Never knew that was there. Mine's working just fine so I'm not sure what to suggest next. Hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #557 of 1,192
I don't know what happened in the case of the DFC that fell apart. All I can say is if I ever needed another DFC, I'd buy it in a flash. I'm addicted to its clarity, relaxed, and noise free sound. It gets better the more it ages (just like me). :)

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #558 of 1,192
I don't know what happened in the case of the DFC that fell apart. All I can say is if I ever needed another DFC, I'd buy it in a flash. I'm addicted to its clarity, relaxed, and noise free sound. It gets better the more it ages (just like me). :)
Agree with regards to sound quality and even buying a new one in a flash BUT not due to faulty workmanship or, as I suspect, a design fault. If they start to rattle and literally fall to pieces less than three months after being purchased then audioquest needs to replace them under warranty and (unless they want to stop selling them) find a permanent solution BUT I for one would not spend 300 bucks equivalent every three months knowing there is a fault that could render the product useless.

I had the DFR for over two years on constant use and never had a prob in all that time so I know what audioquest are capable of. Considering the number of complaints and nature of the fault which seems identical in each case, there is almost certainly a design fault that needs to be ironed out as this product is brand new and has a slightly different form factor to the standard DFB and DFR.

New form factors often have niggling problems (that can cause big failures) so Kudos to audioquest for acknowledging this as indicated in an earlier post but now corrective action is required including warranty substitutions where necessary. Regardless I agree the sound quality is superb for the price and above and I sincerely hope audioquest fixes the issue and has great success with it.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #559 of 1,192
Agree with regards to sound quality and even buying a new one in a flash BUT not due to faulty workmanship or, as I suspect, a design fault. If they start to rattle and literally fall to pieces less than three months after being purchased then audioquest needs to replace them under warranty and (unless they want to stop selling them) find a permanent solution BUT I for one would not spend 300 bucks equivalent every three months knowing there is a fault that could render the product useless.

I had the DFR for over two years on constant use and never had a prob in all that time so I know what audioquest are capable of. Considering the number of complaints and nature of the fault which seems identical in each case, there is almost certainly a design fault that needs to be ironed out as this product is brand new and has a slightly different form factor to the standard DFB and DFR.

New form factors often have niggling problems (that can cause big failures) so Kudos to audioquest for acknowledging this as indicated in an earlier post but now corrective action is required including warranty substitutions where necessary. Regardless I agree the sound quality is superb for the price and above and I sincerely hope audioquest fixes the issue and has great success with it.

Yes, of course.

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #564 of 1,192
Deleted

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #565 of 1,192
Got my replacement warranty Cobalt - for anyone who cares, I think any play in the male USB attachment is abnormal as this replacement doesn't rattle when shaken or move around when inserted into a USB receptacle. This was definitely not the case with the first once I had, which ended up coming apart on me.

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #566 of 1,192
Got my replacement warranty Cobalt - for anyone who cares, I think any play in the male USB attachment is abnormal as this replacement doesn't rattle when shaken or move around when inserted into a USB receptacle. This was definitely not the case with the first once I had, which ended up coming apart on me.

I think this is great to hear. My Cobalt only very barely wiggles on either side, and it's been the same since I got it several months ago. Maybe I'm one of the lucky people who got a good one, but hopefully AQ is getting this addressed so people can be more comfortable purchasing the Cobalt (assuming they think it's worth the price) and enjoy it for what it is, an outstanding super-portable DAC/AMP.

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #567 of 1,192
I think this is great to hear. My Cobalt only very barely wiggles on either side, and it's been the same since I got it several months ago. Maybe I'm one of the lucky people who got a good one, but hopefully AQ is getting this addressed so people can be more comfortable purchasing the Cobalt (assuming they think it's worth the price) and enjoy it for what it is, an outstanding super-portable DAC/AMP.
Mine has a slight rattle too, like that new out of the box. I’ve mainly been using it as a desktop DAC attached to my computer, so little wear and tear. But I do take it out and about occasionally. I’m wondering what will happen if it has slow wear and tear and doesn’t fail or break until after the warranty expires!

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #568 of 1,192
Mine has a slight rattle too, like that new out of the box. I’ve mainly been using it as a desktop DAC attached to my computer, so little wear and tear. But I do take it out and about occasionally. I’m wondering what will happen if it has slow wear and tear and doesn’t fail or break until after the warranty expires!

Good question. Maybe start taking it out and about more while you still have warranty coverage. If it starts loosening up, it's better to happen now than after the warranty expires.

Nov 6, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #569 of 1,192
After seeing how mine appeared to be attached, I would be sure to support the headphone jack with gentle pressure when putting the Cobalt into a USB jack. The headphone jack appears to be fastened internally to the side of the case, and that’s where my original Cobalt seemed to let go resulting in the board moving around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back