Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Nov 9, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #571 of 1,192
It’s true that I listened to the Cobalt once and I almost bought it. Than I fell on a Topping NX4 on this forum sold unused at a third of the price of the Cobalt (new it’s about half the price) and honestly the NX4 kicks the Cobalt. More of just about everything!

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #572 of 1,192
It’s true that I listened to the Cobalt once and I almost bought it. Than I fell on a Topping NX4 on this forum sold unused at a third of the price of the Cobalt (new it’s about half the price) and honestly the NX4 kicks the Cobalt. More of just about everything!
With all due respect surely you’re missing the whole point of the advantages of the DFC form factor. If the form factor is not an important factor to you, there’s boatloads of DACs that “kick” the cobalt.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #573 of 1,192
Personally, and I repeat this is a personal opinion, the nx4 (as well as other DAC amps in the same size) is portable enough. From the moment you give up a certain level of comfort by going wired + DAC, i don’t see a massive difference between the two. If I really want to be portable (I.e I go with shorts and a t shirt and have no bag), I think Bluetooth is the only real option.

Just my opinion. And again if the cobalt was half the price or delivering an exceptional performance, I would have maybe a different opinion. In any case this is very personal.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #574 of 1,192
When I originally asked Audioquest the question of rattle/wiggle after receiving my Cobalt they said it was ok if there was a 'little' play but that anything more was defective.

One of the previous emails said that Audioquest acknowledged a production issue and that it was being corrected.

I'm wondering if people are still buying these and getting stock with loose connectors? I would like to re-buy but not if current stock still has the issue.

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #576 of 1,192
When I originally asked Audioquest the question of rattle/wiggle after receiving my Cobalt they said it was ok if there was a 'little' play but that anything more was defective.

One of the previous emails said that Audioquest acknowledged a production issue and that it was being corrected.

I'm wondering if people are still buying these and getting stock with loose connectors? I would like to re-buy but not if current stock still has the issue.
The problem is that unless they have a recall of the thousands sold to retailers, you definitely risk buying one that is “old” stock and therefore at risk of the defect. Is it maybe worth asking audioquest whether they have issued a recall/replacement?

Nov 12, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #577 of 1,192
I walk around all the time with the Cobalt attached to my iPhone with a small, flexible USB - Lightning adapter that allows the Cobalt to sit behind or next to my phone in my front pants pocket. Once I get it setup and ready to go, there's minimal operational difference between Cobalt + wired headphones and wired headphones straight into a headphone jack. There's no need for a bag.

Personally, and I repeat this is a personal opinion, the nx4 (as well as other DAC amps in the same size) is portable enough. From the moment you give up a certain level of comfort by going wired + DAC, i don’t see a massive difference between the two. If I really want to be portable (I.e I go with shorts and a t shirt and have no bag), I think Bluetooth is the only real option.

Just my opinion. And again if the cobalt was half the price or delivering an exceptional performance, I would have maybe a different opinion. In any case this is very personal.

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #578 of 1,192
Not strictly on the topic of DFC vs... but I wanted to share my discovery that DFC turns out to drive my 300 Ohm German Maestro GMP 8.300D closed-back headphones with real authority, out of my iPhone 8plus. I'm really pleased - I thought I'd try them out but was expecting to need a headphone amp to get the best out of DFC with them - not so; this is a tremendous pairing. A couple of hours' use suggests that battery drain is well within acceptable range.
These are the headphones I shall be wearing after the apocalypse when all others have turned to dust.
D5224D40-C4C3-458A-B438-B61D050CA84D.jpeg
Here's DJ JFB running his signature edition model over with a car in Brighton just because why not:

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #579 of 1,192
That's interesting. I tried a Sennheiser 650 in the store with the Cobalt and iPhone and I could max the volume and only be a little uncomfortable listening to it... my seat of the pants feel with that is it probably could use more power, and I see the HD 650 is rate at 300 ohms impedance.

Not strictly on the topic of DFC vs... but I wanted to share my discovery that DFC turns out to drive my 300 Ohm German Maestro GMP 8.300D closed-back headphones with real authority, out of my iPhone 8plus. I'm really pleased - I thought I'd try them out but was expecting to need a headphone amp to get the best out of DFC with them - not so; this is a tremendous pairing. A couple of hours' use suggests that battery drain is well within acceptable range.
These are the headphones I shall be wearing after the apocalypse when all others have turned to dust.

Here's DJ JFB running his signature edition model over with a car in Brighton just because why not:

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #580 of 1,192
That's interesting. I tried a Sennheiser 650 in the store with the Cobalt and iPhone and I could max the volume and only be a little uncomfortable listening to it... my seat of the pants feel with that is it probably could use more power, and I see the HD 650 is rate at 300 ohms impedance.
I'm listening again now - at 3/4 volume it's probably over my usual listening level. At max volume it's usable - not trouser-flappingly loud, as we used to say, but usable. YMMV, of course. Must be getting old.

Nov 15, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #582 of 1,192
Have you compared the respective sensitivities? subjective loudness acceptance levels for each person would also play their part

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #583 of 1,192
My experience with this thing is that it's very powerful. Even with my 150 ohm Sennheiser/Massdrop 58X, only four volume squares on my Mac. Any higher and it's blowing out my eardrums. I don't remember this with the Dragonfly Red.

I prefer the sound of the DFC to the unbalanced output of my Fiio Q5s (AM3E).

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #584 of 1,192
Has anyone compared the Cobalt SQ with the Sony Nw1a DAP SQ? I'm trying to figure wether to get an iPad Pro paired with a Cobalt,or the Sony.I'll be using IEMs.I had the first two black Dragonflies when they were released hooked up with a MacBook.They were a revelation at the time,performance and form factor.Thanks!

Nov 29, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #585 of 1,192

I just picked one up in store at B&H. Immediately took it out to check in case I needed to exchange it but it seems sturdy with no rattle/wiggle. It is only a few hours old so only time will tell (fingers crossed/knock on wood).

Really enjoying it right now on my way home from work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back