Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jun 4, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #1,037 of 1,192
Does anyone find the cobalt to be slightly cold/analytical? I got one recently and have noticed going back and forth it just feels a tad colder than my other sources, if that vague word conveys anything.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,038 of 1,192
Does anyone find the cobalt to be slightly cold/analytical? I got one recently and have noticed going back and forth it just feels a tad colder than my other sources, if that vague word conveys anything.
Not me. I‘m actually using it, because I find other sources cold and clinical. DFC - not at all. Detailed? Yes. Cold? No. It doesn‘t have lots of power to drive many big cans though. With my HD600 it indeed sounds a bit lean and boring. But that‘s because it just does not provide enough juice. Add an amp, and this changes the picture completely. With easier to drive cans or IEMs it‚s not lean, it‘s actually on a warmer side.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #1,039 of 1,192
Hey guys,

I have the Dragonfly Red, does anyone think that the Cobalt is worth the upgrade? I've read a few reviews online and it seems a bit mixed with some reviews saying that it's exactly the same and others saying that it's better. I'm just getting confused at this point from reading reviews.

Thanks

I've had both, and I can say it is a slight improvement. May not be worth the extra $100 premium for some

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #1,042 of 1,192
That's probably why, I'm coming from a Mojo and ifi zen haha.

I really like the cobalt though, its fab on the go. Much less cumbersome than the mojo
Agreed, I have both and what the DFC loses against the mojo in SQ it makes up for in form factor and no charging required. Different horses for different courses.

Jun 4, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,043 of 1,192
Agreed, I have both and what the DFC loses against the mojo in SQ it makes up for in form factor and no charging required. Different horses for different courses.
For sure, the Cobalt with dragontail is a dream in terms of portability. And it really improves my Xperia 1 ii (supposedly a great audiophile option as phones go) while not adding any noticable inconvenience. Very nice little device

Jun 4, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #1,044 of 1,192
Simple question but is there a way to use the DFC as a DAC and attach it to an amp for harder-to-drive headphones? What cables would I need?

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #1,047 of 1,192
a/b this with my asus x470 crosshair VII motherboard today, which supposedly has supremefx or whatver. Just out of interest. Of course the dragonfly sounds much better, tried electronic music, more textured sound, more energy overall, clearer vocals.

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #1,048 of 1,192
a/b this with my asus x470 crosshair VII motherboard today, which supposedly has supremefx or whatver. Just out of interest. Of course the dragonfly sounds much better, tried electronic music, more textured sound, more energy overall, clearer vocals.
And try it with acoustic to really hear the improvement it adds to ambience and 3D location

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #1,049 of 1,192
And try it with acoustic to really hear the improvement it adds to ambience and 3D location
That's true. Tonality is nice and important, but where it shines is really with ambience and holographical instrument placement with acoustic music. Of course only with capable HPs/IEMs. Stunning with my Moondrop S8. My beloved SE846 used almost exclusively over past couple of years doesn't stand a chance against S8.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,050 of 1,192
That's true. Tonality is nice and important, but where it shines is really with ambience and holographical instrument placement with acoustic music. Of course only with capable HPs/IEMs. Stunning with my Moondrop S8. My beloved SE846 used almost exclusively over past couple of years doesn't stand a chance against S8.
I'm actually very very happy with my SE846/DFC combo to be honest, but I admit that it is my portable option for when I am running, on a plane (when it was still a thing) or on transport. I use different combos for home (Stax/Chord HTT2) or when away from home but not physically on the go (KSE1200/Chord Mojo) and even compared to those combos I don't think the SE846/DFC has ever let me down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back