Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #1,006 of 1,192
Don't forget that the DFC has a better chipset than the DFR, incorporates the jitterbug technology and includes the dragontail in the box, so not entirely sure I agree regarding the pricing policy which is set by the market anyway.
I really love the DFC (and Audioquest in general), but, with that, I think there is a huge "marketing" trickery. Replacing the 9016S by the 9038Q2M is not very expensive. the 9038 cost 10/15$ over the 9016.

And look at these photos. We cannot find the components of the jitterbug. So, where are they ?

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #1,007 of 1,192
I really love the DFC (and Audioquest in general), but, with that, I think there is a huge "marketing" trickery. Replacing the 9016S by the 9038Q2M is not very expensive. the 9038 cost 10/15$ over the 9016.

And look at these photos. We cannot find the components of the jitterbug. So, where are they ?

How do you know they haven’t incorporated the pertinent elements into the board and chipset? Do you think they have given fraudulent information about their product?

And the dragontail? And the development costs?

eitherway it’s a moot point (apart from your views on fraud) as the price is set by the market anyway. You can find these new for less than the MRRP if you look.

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #1,008 of 1,192
For me, the Mojo is very overvalued. It has great technical performance, but the sound is unenjoyable. Again, imho. In comparison, the DFC is a lot more fun. Despite the little lack of perfs.
I also find DFC funnier, and it always sounds good to me.

Mojo is a different listening experience, I would say more real, which strips the music completely and can sometimes sound less pleasant.

And it has a much warmer and more relaxed sound.

I could be fine with just DFC, but I'm glad I have both.

Mar 15, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #1,012 of 1,192
Does the Cobalt support DSD guys ?

I am looking at this page : https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-cobalt

And....can"t find.

And it has a much warmer and more relaxed sound.

I could be fine with just DFC, but I'm glad I have both.
Ohhh, you should try listen to this :v:: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/caladan_brood/3540359903

Only 1 full studio album from 2013. Smashing good to say the least.
This is amazing for testing. Close, distant sounds, big atmosphere.

PS: Apologies, saw literally the 2 or 3-rd comment on the first page and says no DSD. Ok.

For me it certainly isn’t overvalued but de gustibus non disputandum est, which is what makes this hobby so interesting and varied. If that’s what you prefer I don’t think there is anything wrong with that at all.

nevertheless that doesn’t detract in anyway from the DFC which I own, use and love for what it is and does.
Well....i will tell you where from got the idea to try upsample to DSD. Apart from listening very loud volume.
I have Fiio Q5, this definitely benefit from upsampling to DSD. Have it from before the Mojo, so after that i automatically decided to try the upsampling with Mojo as well, as soon as such option was available in Neutron MP.
So....yes. Does not work so for all DACs and i got it why you advice against it with Mojo.

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #1,013 of 1,192
Ohhh, you should try listen to this :v:: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/caladan_brood/3540359903

Only 1 full studio album from 2013. Smashing good to say the least.
This is amazing for testing. Close, distant sounds, big atmosphere.
I had already read well about them, I will listen to them ...

There was a fairly long time when I listened to very little Metal, it had become too loud and offensive to my no longer teen ears.

With the Ananda, Mojo and Cobalt I started to devour it again, they make it sound perfectly to my ears, clear, detailed, with the right intensity, but without effort.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #1,015 of 1,192
Ah, is this the safe spot where you can say you really like your Cobalt without being lambasted by strangers?

I gotta say, I grabbed this on a whim because I had some store credit and was hoping it would be an upgrade over a basic dongle I was using with my Iphone. I got that, and so much more I wasn't expecting. I love the way they tuned this thing! It's got bass and pace. It really accentuates rhythms. I can even use it connected to a PC and it drives my ZMF Aeolus pretty damn well actually. I respect everyone's opinions, I know there's a bunch of people who don't like it, but I'm having a great experience with this product.

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #1,017 of 1,192
Has anyone ever had a problem with the build quality of the DFC?

I am only using it at home, but do you think it would withstand some bumps and falls? Or would it break?
The jacks were loose/wobbly on some of the earlier production. I have carried mine around when I was commuting and, aside from the white paint on the letters scratching off, no issues. Feels really solid and I have not had an issue with the wobbly/loose connectors (knock on wood). My DFC usually sits in my SE846 case and goes where the SE846 goes. I bought mine in late 2019

Is there a specific issue you are having? You could obviously use the case they provide when not in use. I never did since it doesn't have cutouts and I found it annoying so I just put it in a pocket in a backpack along with mouse, SSD, etc. Its main selling point for me was how small and portable it is.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #1,018 of 1,192
The jacks were loose/wobbly on some of the earlier production. I have carried mine around when I was commuting and, aside from the white paint on the letters scratching off, no issues. Feels really solid and I have not had an issue with the wobbly/loose connectors (knock on wood). My DFC usually sits in my SE846 case and goes where the SE846 goes. I bought mine in late 2019

Is there a specific issue you are having? You could obviously use the case they provide when not in use. I never did since it doesn't have cutouts and I found it annoying so I just put it in a pocket in a backpack along with mouse, SSD, etc. It's main selling point for me was how small and portable it is.
Same, down to “goes wherever my SE846s go”. Slight “wobble” lengthwise but only very slight and no issues.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,019 of 1,192

Is there a specific issue you are having? You could obviously use the case they provide when not in use. I never did since it doesn't have cutouts and I found it annoying so I just put it in a pocket in a backpack along with mouse, SSD, etc. Its main selling point for me was how small and portable it is.

Same goes for mine with my SE846. The real problem for me are the paint chipped off pretty ugly at the bottom due to my commuting almost everyday with it (since the day I got it around Dec 2019).

*attached image is my chipped DFC*

A little wiggle on the jack was quite worrisome but it stays like that since the beginning and haven’t got any worst.

Has anyone ever had a problem with the build quality of the DFC?

I am only using it at home, but do you think it would withstand some bumps and falls? Or would it break?

Another 1 thing I hate is just how fragile the Apple CCK adapter is. So far I wasted $$ to buy them 2 times because it died on me since DFR days.

I can live with that because of the sound quality and how it improved my IEM limited capability.

Attachments

• E9174D54-541F-40EA-9D1D-7B449798FF8D.jpeg
    E9174D54-541F-40EA-9D1D-7B449798FF8D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 69A47273-2CCB-41DF-8949-80C55EBDB7E0.jpeg
    69A47273-2CCB-41DF-8949-80C55EBDB7E0.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #1,020 of 1,192

The paint, in fact, tends to chip very easily, even if you always treat it very carefully. However, only a few small signs for now.

The truth is I dropped it the other day and was wondering if it could handle these bumps and falls.

It seems to work perfectly anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back