Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Mar 4, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #991 of 1,192
I purchased the Cobalt and prefer the Red.
Thanks for the post. Could you expand a bit about why you prefer the Red?

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #992 of 1,192
I recognize the technical superiority of the Mojo, but I often find it more enjoyable to listen to the DFC. It has such a lively and refreshing sound. Luckily nobody bought it for me when I wanted to sell it.

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #993 of 1,192
I recognize the technical superiority of the Mojo, but I often find it more enjoyable to listen to the DFC. It has such a lively and refreshing sound. Luckily nobody bought it for me when I wanted to sell it.
Yeah, the cobalt is really growing on me too. I upgraded from the red and dragonflies have always been my choice for mobile audio when I travel. I haven’t traveled at all in the past year so my time with the cobalt has been limited. But I’ve been using it more and really like it.

The mojo is awesome but the size and need to charge it can be a bit of a pain. The plug and play aspect of the DFC cannot be understated.

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #994 of 1,192
Yeah, the cobalt is really growing on me too. I upgraded from the red and dragonflies have always been my choice for mobile audio when I travel. I haven’t traveled at all in the past year so my time with the cobalt has been limited. But I’ve been using it more and really like it.

The mojo is awesome but the size and need to charge it can be a bit of a pain. The plug and play aspect of the DFC cannot be understated.
Spot on imho. What the DFC loses in SQ to the mojo it makes up for in form factor.

And frankly, mojo apart, there’s not much (if anything) out there at or near the price that can beat it.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #997 of 1,192
I would be curious to hear IFI Micro Black Label.

If it had the more neutral signature of the Cobalt with the best technical characteristics of the Mojo it would be great, if bulky.

IMO, the micro black label isn’t a great Dac. It’s main selling point is the power it puts out for a mobile unit. It’s been a while since I’ve had one but from memory it doesn’t have the musicality or accuracy of a mojo or Dargonfly red/cobalt.

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #1,001 of 1,192
For me, the Mojo is very overvalued. It has great technical performance, but the sound is unenjoyable. Again, imho. In comparison, the DFC is a lot more fun. Despite the little lack of perfs.
For me it certainly isn’t overvalued but de gustibus non disputandum est, which is what makes this hobby so interesting and varied. If that’s what you prefer I don’t think there is anything wrong with that at all.

nevertheless that doesn’t detract in anyway from the DFC which I own, use and love for what it is and does.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #1,003 of 1,192
I agree for the DFC, it's clearly overpriced. For the Mojo, no. Its components are expensive. So it's understandable. The DC03 use the CS43131. Which has less sound quality than the ESS or Mojo's FPGA. (and his integrated amp is weak)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #1,005 of 1,192
I agree for the DFC, it's clearly overpriced. For the Mojo, no. Its components are expensive. So it's understandable. The DC03 use the CS43131. Which has less sound quality than the ESS or Mojo's FPGA. (and his integrated amp is weak)
Don't forget that the DFC has a better chipset than the DFR, incorporates the jitterbug technology and includes the dragontail in the box, so not entirely sure I agree regarding the pricing policy which is set by the market anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back