Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jan 31, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #961 of 1,192
I'm a little worried about the driving power, I bought a 660 S and now I'm not sure if I can drive it at its best.
Have you checked Xduoo portable amps ?

If you have good Dac (which i assume it is so, seeing most people happy with Cobalt), look for amplifier device only. Last years become really hard to find portable ones, as everyone seems to be making dac/amp in one and their power output suck. Plus there is the "balanced" on top of that and changing cables. So, there was Fiio E12, A5, Jds Labs in the past, but now i see Xduoo have probably one of the little companies left that has somewhat "normal" amplifier.

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #962 of 1,192
First impressions after some listening cobalt+ hd 660s.
In terms of volume, things are quite fine, they don t sound thin.
Keep in mind i have owned dt 770, dt 880 250 ohm, oppo pm3. I feel hd660s are better for the kind of sound i m looking for. No more harsh beyer sound and much more dynamic than oppo pm3. But still that voice emphasis which i definetly enjoy. Very easy to listen for hours.
And cobalt does a nice job, more then enough. I m waiting for a 1.2 meter cable from amazon.

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #963 of 1,192
Feb 13, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #966 of 1,192
If anyone is interested I have a practically new DFC for sale, with about ten hours of use.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dragonfly-cobalt-like-new-one-month.953946/#post-16149375

I love the sound quality and the shape and size, but I bought a Chord Mojo because it has more power for the headphones I want to buy in the future.

I can't keep them both.
I decided to keep it.

I've been doing A / B between DFC and Chord Mojo since last night, with an AKG K712 Pro, UAPP and FLAC 16/44.

To my surprise I'm liking the Cobalt more for now.

It has a leaner, more spacious, more neutral sound, which for my taste works better with the K712. And it seems to me that the Cobalt drives the headset without any difficulty.

The Mojo has a warmer, perhaps slightly more detailed sound, which I believe adds too much weight and warmth to the K712 which already has a lot of bass in it.

For now, I'll keep them both and continue to compare them.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #967 of 1,192
I decided to keep it.

I've been doing A / B between DFC and Chord Mojo since last night, with an AKG K712 Pro, UAPP and FLAC 16/44.

It has a leaner, more spacious, more neutral sound, which for my taste works better with the K712. And it seems to me that the Cobalt drives the headset without any difficulty.

The Mojo has a warmer, perhaps slightly more detailed sound, which I believe adds too much weight and warmth to the K712 which already has a lot of bass in it.

System matching is important. Give them both time as the sound may even change after a while and then make a final decision. Who knows, you may prefer one, change the HPs and then end up preferring the other.

Feb 14, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #968 of 1,192
I decided to keep it.

This is interesting. But in general, you like the headphones ?

For Mojo is good to get the exact fine volume level. Not to be too low volume and not too high. Not sure for bit perfect playback. I think around green colour or little bit below that. Which artist are you listening mostly ? Or among your favorite ones.

Yes, Mojo is not the most spacious sounding Dac, but according to Rob Watts (the Mojo designer) is accurate as it is (he did a lot of testing and listening and came to this conclusion).

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #969 of 1,192
This is interesting. But in general, you like the headphones ?

For Mojo is good to get the exact fine volume level. Not to be too low volume and not too high. Not sure for bit perfect playback. I think around green colour or little bit below that. Which artist are you listening mostly ? Or among your favorite ones.

Yes, Mojo is not the most spacious sounding Dac, but according to Rob Watts (the Mojo designer) is accurate as it is (he did a lot of testing and listening and came to this conclusion).
I made a comparison yesterday on extreme music - Emperor, Nile, Hate Eternal - and here the Mojo wins, never loses control, more detail and clarity, while DFC gets lost in the most chaotic situations, it becomes quite indistinguishable. Maybe even because of the lower driving power, I don't know.

The combo Mojo and K712 sounds too hot, too bassy to me.

In my opinion it is also the fault of the FiiO CL06 that I am using as OTG.

Already when I had the BTR5 and used it in USB DAC mode, the FiiO LT-TC1 cable added too much weight and warmth. Perhaps it is a feature of their pure copper connecting cables.

Tomorrow I'll try an Amazon basics to see if anything changes, then if I don't like it I'll try a Shanling L2 or a Penon OTG cable with silver.

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #970 of 1,192
I made a comparison yesterday on extreme music - Emperor, Nile, Hate Eternal - and here the Mojo wins, never loses control, more detail and clarity, while DFC gets lost in the most chaotic situations, it becomes quite indistinguishable. Maybe even because of the lower driving power, I don't know.

The combo Mojo and K712 sounds too hot, too bassy to me.

In my opinion it is also the fault of the FiiO CL06 that I am using as OTG.

Already when I had the BTR5 and used it in USB DAC mode, the FiiO LT-TC1 cable added too much weight and warmth. Perhaps it is a feature of their pure copper connecting cables.

Tomorrow I'll try an Amazon basics to see if anything changes, then if I don't like it I'll try a Shanling L2 or a Penon OTG cable with silver.
Unless the cable is transmitting RF noise I’m really not sure the material used to make the cable would influence the “sound” of the digital signal being transmitted.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #971 of 1,192
Unless the cable is transmitting RF noise I’m really not sure the material used to make the cable would influence the “sound” of the digital signal being transmitted.
I have read many pages of the Mojo thread and many said they hear differences in switching from one OTG cable to another.

In my modest experience with cables, there is always a small or big difference, especially when comparing copper and silver.

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #972 of 1,192
I have read many pages of the Mojo thread and many said they hear differences in switching from one OTG cable to another.

In my modest experience with cables, there is always a small or big difference, especially when comparing copper and silver.
You hear differences in cable material with digital signals or do you mean analogue?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #974 of 1,192
You hear differences in cable material with digital signals or do you mean analogue?
With BTR5 they were quite clear to my ears, I had tried a Nimaso cable, one I don't remember which brand and a FiiO LT-TC1, for use in USB DAC mode from the smartphone.

With the FiiO cable the sound had more body, with fuller and more prominent bass ... too much for my taste.

Feb 14, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #975 of 1,192
When I was using DFR, there was a better improvement in sound when I switched from a generic OTG to dragontail usb C than adding a Jitterbug. True story.
I believe you, I myself have heard differences between usb cables but am more inclined to believe that that is due to the proper usb standard cable construction and correct impedance. As USB certification is not checked but simply assured by the manufacturer there are lots of cables that don’t respect the standard regardless of their “guarantee”.

If two cables are identical in all respects I simply do not believe that changing from one material to another can possibly change the sequence of 1s and 0s, especially considering the asynchronous capacity to reduce jitter and the data correction inherent in the data transfer, unless they are reducing RF interference, which is not the case between copper and silver to my knowledge.

But that’s just my opinion. There are people who swear they can hear the difference with a $2500 USB cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back