Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Feb 14, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #976 of 1,192
Tomorrow I'll try an Amazon basics to see if anything changes, then if I don't like it I'll try a Shanling L2 or a Penon OTG cable with silver.
Ok. Well.....i know you may not like the idea but....there is EQ as well. -2 to 3db on the bass might fix it ?

Can't say anything about the cables myself. I hope it does the difference that you need then.

How is the treble ? Good ?

Feb 14, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #977 of 1,192
Ok. Well.....i know you may not like the idea but....there is EQ as well. -2 to 3db on the bass might fix it ?

Can't say anything about the cables myself. I hope it does the difference that you need then.

How is the treble ? Good ?
Trebles are very soft, harmless, I could listen to them for hours without fatigue ... but I was used to a little more grit and impact, with the IEMs and previous devices I used. Maybe I just need to get used to a new signature.

The problem with EQ with UAPP is that you can't use it without giving up the bit perfect ... on Neutron is it the same thing?

Feb 14, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #978 of 1,192
Trebles are very soft, harmless, I could listen to them for hours without fatigue ... but I was used to a little more grit and impact, with the IEMs and previous devices I used. Maybe I just need to get used to a new signature.

The problem with EQ with UAPP is that you can't use it without giving up the bit perfect ... on Neutron is it the same thing?
Yes, Neutron is same. If bit perfect option is activated, you cannot use EQ, yes. You can make changes, but it disables the bit perfect if you change something in sound processing settings.
Emperor i listened in past. The others you mentioned i have not heard. Emperor has old albums as well. I am Immortal fan. 'At Winter's heart' from 1999 is amazing.

Ok, well, as you decide. I hope the cable helps. If other questions, ask, i answer when see. And happy listening. :)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #979 of 1,192
Last post on this issue ... maybe I had underestimated a bit of headphone burn in, at first it sounded really lifeless, closed and without energy, with a low end dominating everything else. And I was disappointed.

After playing it for 10-15 hours it really feels like a different animal, that excessive heat is gone, a sound finally open and a good balance across all frequencies, more life and excitement, when punch is needed it takes it out.

Last night I listened to Beethoven's historic fifth with Kleiber with Mojo and K712 and it was almost like hearing it for the very first time, fantastic.

And K712 sounds great even with the DFC, I don't really feel a difficulty of the Cobalt in driving it, it works perfectly.

Mojo and DFC are two excellent devices, it is also difficult for me to say which is better between the two, it is really a matter of nuances and maybe ... mood?

I think it's a shame to have to choose between the two and sell one. I am oriented to keep both and alternate them.

Feb 15, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #980 of 1,192
Last post on this issue ... maybe I had underestimated a bit of headphone burn in, at first it sounded really lifeless, closed and without energy, with a low end dominating everything else. And I was disappointed.

After playing it for 10-15 hours it really feels like a different animal, that excessive heat is gone, a sound finally open and a good balance across all frequencies, more life and excitement, when punch is needed it takes it out.

Last night I listened to Beethoven's historic fifth with Kleiber with Mojo and K712 and it was almost like hearing it for the very first time, fantastic.

And K712 sounds great even with the DFC, I don't really feel a difficulty of the Cobalt in driving it, it works perfectly.

Mojo and DFC are two excellent devices, it is also difficult for me to say which is better between the two, it is really a matter of nuances and maybe ... mood?

I think it's a shame to have to choose between the two and sell one. I am oriented to keep both and alternate them.
I have both , and I will keep them...

Feb 15, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #981 of 1,192

Ok, i am glad to hear this. I am after all the one that recommended you these headphones, and although you have read a lot of opinions before buying, still sucks if you don't like them much. So i am happy that is OK now.

For the burn in, you may find difference if you leave them playing with very high volume (not on your head, put them aside for 5 min. playing with very high volume. That is dark blue or very light pink/purple, like the line out level of Mojo. Not all the way up, just on 65-70 % of Mojo volume) for 4-5 mins and then turn it back to normal and listen so. That is not needed to be done every time, but if you leave them unused for 3 weeks+ if on holiday and it doesn't sound great after. It does a difference. My explanation is when you put more volume, the driver in the headphone does extend more than normal when moving to produce the sound, and this then leaves it somewhat more sensitive after. I don't think it works so with planars, but with regular dynamic driver headphones yes.

This Cobalt looks like good Dac if sounds good K712. Nice.

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #982 of 1,192
For the burn in, you may find difference if you leave them playing with very high volume (not on your head, put them aside for 5 min. playing with very high volume. That is dark blue or very light pink/purple, like the line out level of Mojo. Not all the way up, just on 65-70 % of Mojo volume) for 4-5 mins and then turn it back to normal and listen so. That is not needed to be done every time, but if you leave them unused for 3 weeks+ if on holiday and it doesn't sound great after. It does a difference. My explanation is when you put more volume, the driver in the headphone does extend more than normal when moving to produce the sound, and this then leaves it somewhat more sensitive after. I don't think it works so with planars, but with regular dynamic driver headphones yes.
I have often noticed this thing on my speakers, a few minutes of pretty high volume, then I go back to normal listening volume and they sound better ...

The Cobalt is pretty amazing when you consider the shape and size ... it's treated like garbage by the sheep of audiosciencereviews and reddit, but it competes with the Chord Mojo and is truly in another league than the Tempotec Sonata and Meizu that I've tried and that they measure very well and should be the best dacs in the world.

Obviously it would be unfair to compare because those are 20-30 € dongles and the DFC is 300 €, but if one who has never tried them and read reddit's opinions on these devices - opinions totally influenced by those measurements and given by who has probably never compared them in person - could seriously believe that a Meizu has a better SQ than a DFC.

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #983 of 1,192
Any recommendations on USB C OTG cables? I have a samsung s8 and the connection from cable to phone is terrible, bad enough that even just movement while it's in my pocket can disturb the connection and stop playback. Doesn't happen with any other cables (charging cables etc.). Really hampering my enjoyment of this since I got as a christmas present.
Thanks in advance!

Feb 20, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #984 of 1,192
Usei o BTR5 no modo USB DAC com carga LIGADA e consumiu mais bateria do que o DFC. O consumo de bateria com o Cobalt não me parece tão excessivo.

A qualidade do som é verdadeiramente superior. Parece mais natural e sem esforço, mais detalhes e um palco sonoro e tridimensionalidade que o BTR5 absolutamente não tinha.

Também tinha pensado no Mojo, mas não queria acompanhar sua bateria que muitas vezes começa a dar problemas antes do esperado e é cara para substituir.

No entanto, ficaria curioso para ler outras comparações, bem como com Mojo também com algo como IFI Nano iDSD BL, Topping NX4 DSD, E1DA 9038D ...
Você comparou o DFC com a entrada de 2,5 mm do Btr5, ou com a entrada de 3,5 mm ... Há uma grande diferença entre os dois

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #985 of 1,192
I have often noticed this thing on my speakers, a few minutes of pretty high volume, then I go back to normal listening volume and they sound better ...

The Cobalt is pretty amazing when you consider the shape and size ... it's treated like garbage by the sheep of audiosciencereviews and reddit, but it competes with the Chord Mojo and is truly in another league than the Tempotec Sonata and Meizu that I've tried and that they measure very well and should be the best dacs in the world.

Obviously it would be unfair to compare because those are 20-30 € dongles and the DFC is 300 €, but if one who has never tried them and read reddit's opinions on these devices - opinions totally influenced by those measurements and given by who has probably never compared them in person - could seriously believe that a Meizu has a better SQ than a DFC.
I think the DFC is an excellent product (as are the other two DF DACs at their price/size points) and if you take all these points into consideration I think it’s unbeatable, however on SQ alone imho i cannot say it “competes” with the mojo.

But that is not detrimental considering the other aspects, in particular the form factor.

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #986 of 1,192
Você comparou o DFC com a entrada de 2,5 mm do Btr5, ou com a entrada de 3,5 mm ... Há uma grande diferença entre os dois
Yes I used BTR5 from the 2.5 mm output and as a USB DAC, so at its full potential, and DFC for me is a remarkable update, much more detailed, easier and more enjoyable to listen to, more soundstage, superior on the whole line.

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #987 of 1,192
I think the DFC is an excellent product (as are the other two DF DACs at their price/size points) and if you take all these points into consideration I think it’s unbeatable, however on SQ alone imho i cannot say it “competes” with the mojo.

But that is not detrimental considering the other aspects, in particular the form factor.
Now I have been comparing them for more than a week, the Mojo undoubtedly sounds more natural, realistic, detailed, three-dimensional, I think it is a more performing DAC, but when I use the DFC and I have the Mojo in charge I do not feel that I miss it, DFC is a great substitute.

Where I slightly prefer the DFC is in the signature, it sounds more neutral, while the Mojo has more extra weight, more warmth, and if you have headphones / IEMs with an already warm signature and you like more brilliance the pairing might not be ideal, play a little too heavy and bass oriented.

Feb 20, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #988 of 1,192
Yes I used BTR5 from the 2.5 mm output and as a USB DAC, so at its full potential, and DFC for me is a remarkable update, much more detailed, easier and more enjoyable to listen to, more soundstage, superior on the whole line.
Thanks, I'm going to buy the cobalt, I saw a lot of people saying that it is not that much better than the btr5, or they would even sound the same on the balanced output, but I'll give DFC a chance ... From what you said, his signature is similar to btr5, neutral, with great dynamics and a brilliant touch, but better in all senses, that's what I'm looking for, because with dac with portable signature hot, I'm satisfied with my ifi hip dac

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #989 of 1,192
Thanks, I'm going to buy the cobalt, I saw a lot of people saying that it is not that much better than the btr5, or they would even sound the same on the balanced output, but I'll give DFC a chance ... From what you said, his signature is similar to btr5, neutral, with great dynamics and a brilliant touch, but better in all senses, that's what I'm looking for, because with dac with portable signature hot, I'm satisfied with my ifi hip dac
Yes, the signature is on the neutral side, perhaps slightly tending to warm, but less than the Mojo.

The BTR5 sounded harder and more tiring to my ears, without that soundstage sense and detail from the Cobalt, which you can simply listen to with pleasure for hours.

I also had read about the BTR5 more or less at the level of Cobalt, then I tried the Cobalt mainly because I liked the shape and the fact that it had no battery and the difference in SQ was greater than I thought.

If you are looking for a brighter signature, however, you could also read about Dragonfly Red, perhaps with the Jitterbug, or E1DA.

I have never tried either the Red or E1DA but many say they have a brighter signature than Cobalt, perfectly neutral and without that little touch of warmth and the slightly attenuated highs of Cobalt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back