Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jun 10, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #1,051 of 1,192
I'm actually very very happy with my SE846/DFC combo to be honest, but I admit that it is my portable option for when I am running, on a plane (when it was still a thing) or on transport. I use different combos for home (Stax/Chord HTT2) or when away from home but not physically on the go (KSE1200/Chord Mojo) and even compared to those combos I don't think the SE846/DFC has ever let me down.
Well, S8 doesn't make SE846 sound bad, but S8 is just better overall. Mainly in treble and imaging (S8 seems to be very compatible with my HRTF, it's a best imaging / holographic sound I'm getting with any HP/IEM I have used in the last 20 years). I always had an issue with SE846's tips. None of the stock tips sound good to me, the best sound I'm getting with them is with some cheap triple flanges. But I can't wear them very long, it's getting too uncomfortable. Second best, which I'm actually using now, are SpinFits CP800. Very comfortable. But they don't go that deep, and so the treble peak moves to a lower frequency, around 8kHz, where it's causing some sibilance. With deeper fit of the triple flanges this peak is moved to something around 10 kHz, which sounds much better. So, with CP800 and white filters, it's sometimes too sibilant, with CP800 and blue filters (with foams removed) it's less sibilance, but also less treble overall... With an S8, I don't have any issues at all, they are shallow fit, so I don't have any comfort issues, and they just sound consistently incredible with everything.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #1,052 of 1,192
Well, S8 doesn't make SE846 sound bad, but S8 is just better overall. Mainly in treble and imaging (S8 seems to be very compatible with my HRTF, it's a best imaging / holographic sound I'm getting with any HP/IEM I have used in the last 20 years). I always had an issue with SE846's tips. None of the stock tips sound good to me, the best sound I'm getting with them is with some cheap triple flanges. But I can't wear them very long, it's getting too uncomfortable. Second best, which I'm actually using now, are SpinFits CP800. Very comfortable. But they don't go that deep, and so the treble peak moves to a lower frequency, around 8kHz, where it's causing some sibilance. With deeper fit of the triple flanges this peak is moved to something around 10 kHz, which sounds much better. So, with CP800 and white filters, it's sometimes too sibilant, with CP800 and blue filters (with foams removed) it's less sibilance, but also less treble overall... With an S8, I don't have any issues at all, they are shallow fit, so I don't have any comfort issues, and they just sound consistently incredible with everything.
I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the Shure tips, never liked them even when I first used them years ago with the SE425. When I bought the SE846 in 2019 I had the same problem come up again to the point that with the standard tips (of any type included in the packaging) they were either physically uncomfortable/annoying right away or (in the case of the foam tips) they started to hurt my ears after a short while because they would exert too much pressure on the internal ear canals.

The only original tips which I really liked were the classic Shure yellow foam tips which I found to be excellent and which had the added advantage of going a long way towards cancelling out the background noise, they don't go in too deep and are extremely comfortable, however they have a very short life span.

I eventually tried the Comply TS/TSX (100 size for the Shure IEMs) and found them to be excellent. Supremely comfortable (they use memory foam so the seal properly but without the pressure on the internal ear canal of the normal foam tips), great at isolating external noise (not quite as good as the yellow Shure ones, but they do come close) and long lasting. I eventually ended up buying several pairs to use on the SE846s and the KSE1200 and I absolutely love them. I also like that Comply have an option of a multi-size pack (S, M and L in the same box) which allowed me to try them all before finding the correct size for my ears.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #1,053 of 1,192
IMO, the micro black label isn’t a great Dac. It’s main selling point is the power it puts out for a mobile unit. It’s been a while since I’ve had one but from memory it doesn’t have the musicality or accuracy of a mojo or Dargonfly red/cobalt.
I have to agree with you 100%.

I bought a iFi micro iDSD Black Label, I expected a lot, I thought it was almost an endgame among portable devices.

I've already put it back on sale.

In a word, I would call it "rough". It completely lacks the musicality, delicacy and magic of the Dragonfly Cobalt, it sounds harsh, sterile and simply unpleasant to listen to.

Judgment based by pairing it with Focal Clear and various IEMs and trying all available settings. Qobuz via UAPP.

Incredible disappointment.

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #1,054 of 1,192
Since this is a vs. thread, here an a bit unfair comparison. I actually usually don‘t compare, but just had some time today and wanted to check yet again, if I can get rid of DFC and use something more convenient.

So, I decided to compare DFC against my Fiio BTR3 (AKM DAC) that I sometimes use when on the go. Listening was done through Moondrop S8.
As to tonality, BTR3 produces a much warmer and relaxed sound. DFC is what I feel is much closer to neutrality.

To the technical side: BTR3 is sounding very smooth, while DFC has sharp attacks immediately grabbing your attention. Resolution is much higher on DFC. BTR3 does not create much of a soundstage. S8 on BTR3 sounds closer to an HD600 - nice tonality but not very detailed, and soundstage is somehow reduced to stereo. On DFC however, it‘s a completely different presentation, it demands your attention and creates a holographic soundstage, you can „see“ every instrument in the space. The feeling of listening to headphones is gone, you feel like you are listening to a live performance.

Bottom line: for background listening on the go BTR3 is ok, better than most mobile phones anyway, it has a pleasant inoffensive quality, enough if you are just relaxing. DFC is technically on a whole different level, not really relaxing with S8, but incredibly capable, a dream match for analytical listening.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #1,055 of 1,192
it sounds harsh, sterile and simply unpleasant to listen to.

If I may, harsh, sterile and in general rough sound doesn't fit micro iDSD BL's profile at all. Our DACs and DAC/amp combos lean towards warmth, substance and music flow just to step away from sterility, harshness etc., and in fact they're known for this profile. Just my 0,02 :wink:
Thanks for giving it a try though :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 23, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #1,056 of 1,192
Quick question — how do I use set up an iPhone -> DFC -> Schiit Heresy? I imagine the DFC has to be a line out. Do I just max out the volume on my iPhone for the DFC function as a DAC?

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #1,058 of 1,192
Having a strange volume issue with DFC.

Prior to a couple days ago I had to keep my windows volume < 10 or the DFC was too loud. Now even if I set windows volume to 100 it's still too quiet? Volume is fine when using my phone.

Is anybody aware of what might be happening?

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #1,059 of 1,192
Having a strange volume issue with DFC.

Prior to a couple days ago I had to keep my windows volume < 10 or the DFC was too loud. Now even if I set windows volume to 100 it's still too quiet? Volume is fine when using my phone.

Is anybody aware of what might be happening?
No issues here. Amazon Music HD --> Windows 10 laptop (Dell XPS 9310) --> DFC --> SE846 and listening on volume 2/100. Have you checked the app volume? For example, Amazon's app has separate volume control if not using exclusive mode.

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #1,060 of 1,192
No issues here. Amazon Music HD --> Windows 10 laptop (Dell XPS 9310) --> DFC --> SE846 and listening on volume 2/100. Have you checked the app volume? For example, Amazon's app has separate volume control if not using exclusive mode.
Yeah tested with Spotify and Youtube and made sure volume is set to maximum in both, output from DFC is extremely quiet in all apps and with system sounds too.

Same here I used it at 2/100 most of the time too, now with volume maxed everywhere possible it's too quiet.

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #1,061 of 1,192
I owned a Dragonfly Cobalt some time ago and really miss such a device. I really prefer this form than a big external transportable DAC (ifi idsd micro bl) or big DAP. But I remember it was quite a metallic with my IEMs. Does anybody here use it with UM MEST that I own now and can share some opinion?

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,064 of 1,192
Plugging in the Cobalt into the back of the PS5. I saw conflicting comments on reddit and was wondering if anyone had experience here.

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #1,065 of 1,192
I have to agree with you 100%.

I bought a iFi micro iDSD Black Label, I expected a lot, I thought it was almost an endgame among portable devices.

I've already put it back on sale.

In a word, I would call it "rough". It completely lacks the musicality, delicacy and magic of the Dragonfly Cobalt, it sounds harsh, sterile and simply unpleasant to listen to.

Judgment based by pairing it with Focal Clear and various IEMs and trying all available settings. Qobuz via UAPP.

Incredible disappointment.

absolutely yes, same experience with the black label........

had chordmojo - great but too troublesome with charging etc
ifi black label was a joke
is cobalt delivering the magic? anything else you compared with or RED or BLACK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back