Dr. Studio vs Solo Hd?
Aug 23, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #46 of 73

Quote:
First of all, don't be scared. We are only mean to trolls and Bose lovers. If you really want help just start your own thread in the "Full-Size" forum and I am sure people will be happy to help you.

I thought this was a solo thread......

Tosca, yea, don't be scared! Welcome.
I am a bit of a noob as well, but I have found, for the most part, this forum is a great place to gain insight into what phones are good.
I have also found that to be a bit of a double edged sword! Its easy to get overwhelmed, and what sounds "good" or "great" is very subjective. It's a lot like food, Some swear that garic is the best spice ever,  while others hate the stuff. same with headphones. Some love bass (bass heads), others despise heavy bass, some love colored (warm or fun sounding cans), others prefer very nuetral headphones. So you kind of have to sort through the reviews and raves and find those whos musical/sound signature tastes match yours.

I too was impressed at first with the solos' compaired to my ear buds (IEMs), but after spending a little time listening to different cans (slang for headphones) I found that my initial "WOW" factor from the "thumpy" (or better "thuBy") bass was quickly put in its place by other cans. If you read a little bit, there are other cans that do quite well with just a good MP3 player ( sansa players, sony players, cowon ) here are a few that i have either listened to or read a lot of great reveiws on:
1, Koss porta pro's ~$30-40
2, Koss UR55 ~$50( these were ones i listened to, and thought they were pretty good, but i would encorage you to research them here and get more info)
3,  Audio-Technica's M50 ~$100 (these are very highly reguarded!)
4, Sony XB500 ~$80 (as well as the larger XB's, these are also liked by a lot of folks!)
Many others Im sure.

You may also look into some In Ear phones, if you like rock and alternative, the UE TF10 Are well liked ~$170ish, as well as the more expensive Shure 530's and Westone W3's ( both are over $250 i think) .

And, IMHO, I hace found that a good headphone amp can help add to the overall listening enjoyment. Not needed with easier to drive headphones or IEM's, if you are looking at full sized cans, i find they tend to bring more depth and presance to the music. I use one even with some of my IEMs.

There are a ton of headphones i left out, but I encorage you to listen to whatever you can get your hands on, balance it with what has been said here ,and buy what phone you like the best.  

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #47 of 73

Quote:
First of all, don't be scared. We are only mean to trolls and Bose lovers. If you really want help just start your own thread in the "Full-Size" forum and I am sure people will be happy to help you.

If you have that money to spend on solos, I recommend the allessandro ms2i. All the way. It's made for rock.

Quote:
*meeps* OK, thank you! I shall repost what I have written in a new thread then. But I do hold you responsible if I get eaten. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #48 of 73
I tried the studio once and it sounded like somone EQ'd bass up all the way and everything else down all the way
vocals literally sounded like you had the headphones off
and the SQ was pathetic
my sr-60 is at least 50 times better, I'd take iBuds over beats every time
if you're dropping that kind of cash for some good bass get ultrasones

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #50 of 73
Happy Birthday!

phiaton_gallery_MS_400_Moderna_Series_1279301734.jpg

http://phiaton.com/products/phiaton/HEADPHONES/MS_400/?cat=1&id=11

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #51 of 73

Quote:
If you can show me an equally stylish pair of cans with better sound quality for the price, I will buy them on the spot.

Check out this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/212768/pics-of-headphones-read-rules
There may be something that catches your eyes. Then you can research more on them.
I'll admit, I do like Monster Beat series's look.  But their durability just seem questionable to me.

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #52 of 73

Quote:
I haven't a clue. I bet you very few on HERE will give you an answer.

Hmm...troll?

Surprisingly, (or perhaps not surprisingly given the tide of popular sentiment at HeadFi) the one doing the trolling in this thread is you. He asked an honest, legitimate question and was expecting a straight answer. Instead you first reply with an answer that has nothing to do with the question, and then afterwards accuse him of trolling. Who is the troll here?

Going back to the question, fromw hat I've read the Solo HD sounds different from either two. Apparently the Solo HD has better mids than the Solo, and less bass. 

I also have gathered that the Studios have less bass than the Solos, but allegedly have better highs and less muddy sound.

I have heard the Studios, and can say that they have monstrous, impactful and punchy bass as well as very crisp highs. Mids are a bit recessed.

Have not heard either Solo model so I cannot directly compare. But again seems the HD has more mids emphasis compared to the other two.

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #53 of 73
Take anything said about the Monster Beats line here with a heaping plate of salt, because hate clouds up a good deal of the judgement around anything Beats here. 

They aren't god phones, but they aren't the junk everyone makes them out to be.
That said.... if you need good highs the Solos probably won't be for you. If you need something similarly stylish as the Solos and will have the highs you need for your rock, you may want to check out the Phiaton MS300. They are phenomenal, similar in style to the Grado Prestige series but with a little more emphasis and smoothness on the low end, but the same kind of crunchy mids and highs. They look awesome as well and are very portable.

You could also opt to move up a bit the MS400 (someone recommended them already here) I took the MS300 for ergonomic reasons.

Quote:
Okaay... I feel kinda nervous about posting here after reading through a couple of threads. ¬¬ *whimpers*
At the risk of being flamed, I have a slightly more sincere question about this topic. Firstly, I am - completely and unabashedly - a n00b when it comes to headphones. I never had the money before to look into anything more expensive than the earplugs you see hanging on the shelves of your local music shop. It was in such a music shop that I first tried on a pair of solos, and... well, for an ignorant such as me, it was like a kick in the brain. Not just the purer sound quality, but the actual pulse of the music was so much more real and vivid than anything I had heard before outside of a concert hall. I must have fangirled them more than I realized, because my mum bought me a pair of  the tours for my 20th birthday. I have rather small ears though, and wasn't sure they would fit or if they would sound as great as the headphones I had listened to in the shop, so we returned them with the intention of replacing them with a pair of the solo hds. 
I read many glowing reports on the actual monster beats site, but theeen, because I am a paranoid sort of girl, I checked here. omg. So much hate. 
eek.gif
I am very pleased I decided to glance here, but I don't have much of an idea what headphones I should go for instead. Naturally, the headphones in the shop were playing hiphop and RnB, and from what I have read here, the beats are all designed rather specifically towards the hiphop listening community. Which is unfortunate, because I don't have a single hiphop track on my mp3. x) I'm more of a rock and metal freak, and was dismayed to read that the highs are lost on the solos; my favourite artist, for example, combines crunchy Rammstein-inspired guitars with her own classical soprano vocals. Would this be a case of wanting to have and eat your cake? 
tongue.gif
Lastly, I kinda found it really amusing that there is so much ridicule here for the solos being all about fashion, when my initial thoughts were 'ugh, they look ridiculous, but who cares if they sound great?' Honestly, I don't care if I look like Donald Duck in whatever headphones I end up with - I would just love to own a pair of headphones that can really punch you in the gut the way I thought these would. But unfortunately I don't have the money to be very experimental, so... do you think you guys might be able to lend me your wisdom on the matter?
*hides in n00bish shame*

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #55 of 73
sometime some of the headfi members surprise me by the way they answer stuff and jump to conclusion.  Remind me of the salem witch scare history/story/books that people read in high school.  I mean their are people, who aren't knowledgeable about headphones,existing outside from this website.  And guess what? when they google things like "what are some of the best headphones" or "top rated headphones," guess what website pops up? This head-fi.org is a very popular website or at least a very easy website to encounter. Just food for thoughts.  I'm probable going to be hated also for saying this, but who cares.  Things probable won't change around here and I'm sure another Dr. Dre beats thread will start.  The funny thing is, the easiest solution to a troll thread is to not read it and go to another thread. end of story.

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #56 of 73
Lol does he realise that he can buy a hd600 from the fs forum for about 250 dollas? They would kick the solos and studios in the gut even without proper amplification

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #58 of 73
U gotta give it to bose and monster though, every single kid wants them cos their self esteem is somehow connected to what headphones they wear in public. Damn marketing

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #59 of 73
I'm about an hour into evaluating a pair of Solo HDs.  I've run them on both my desktop (MacBook Pro/Ayre QB-9/Luxman P-200) and portable (iPhone/ALO line-out cable/RSA Predator) systems, and for the price they initially seem like value for money.

More to come.

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #60 of 73
I heard my friends Studios and i own the XB700s
I must say that Studios have good (not excellent) noise cancelling.
But if your ears are big then get the XB700s, the studios dont get a tight fit.

Sound Quality
Highs: XB700s are definitely better, less sibilance and more details
Mids: Both of them are recessed. In my memory studios does this a little better.
Bass: Quantity and Quality the XBs win. Studios are slightly more balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back