Dr. Dre and his Beats.
Nov 10, 2010 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

HibyPrime

New Head-Fier
Too much bashing going on, I really feel the need to make a point I'm not sure most people realize.  I'm going to make this a bit of a story, don't hate me.

It wasn't very long ago at all, where I would bet you 50% of the headphones being used in north america were the buds that came with everyone's ipod.  ipod buds break easily.  People need new headphones, so they go pick up some 4.99 sony ear buds.

Fast forward a couple years (lets say 2007 or so), now when people need new headphones, they see the skullcandy's and go "ooh those look awesome, and they're expensive so they must be good!"  Any self respecting audio engineer, producer etc. takes one listen of the headphones and goes back to their Senns (or insert hifi headphone co here).

Well guess what Dr. Dre does for a living (minus his 2 solo albums).  He sees all the kids that are willing to spend more than $4.99 on headphones for ones that look good, and sees a market opportunity.  Being a hip hop artist and a producer, he obviously wants to make them look good, and sound at least decent.  Voila, Beats by Dre.

Kid's skullcandy headphones break (cause they have no better build quality than the ipod buds), and go back to best buy.  They see these unique looking headphones that are five times more expensive than the skullcandy's they just bought, and say to themselves "these are more expensive, they should last longer.  the looks dont hurt either."

Kid takes beats home, listens to them, notices they sound 'different.'  A month later he puts on his friends skullcandy's and says to himself 'these sound like crap,' and recommends his friend buy the beats.  Cycle continues, dre and monster get rich.

Fast forward 2012-2015.  High profile musician/producer X gets fed up with the Beats and their sub-par sound quality.  He creates Headphone X.  Headphone X has excellent sound quality and also have a unique look.

Kid's beats are now broken (probably replaced more than once, their build quality sucks pretty bad for the price), he goes into best buy and see's the Beats Super-Duper edition at $299, and Headphone X at $199.  He says to himself 'these both look good, those beats keep breaking on me, and I can't afford to buy them anymore, I should get Headphone X.'

Kid takes headphone home, hears awesome SQ, tells friends.  We now have a world full of 18 year old audiophiles, and what does that mean?  Mass producing audiophile equipment, makes prices fall (they will rise at first, but then fall even more as the market fills out), and makes audiophiles less of an ugly-duckling.

End story.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 55
Why sell it at $199... when they see ppl are willing to pay $299 for Beats...  They can easily market it as a well built true audiophile HP endorsed by this great musician/producer worthy of $350... if it cost more, it gotta be better than Beats and it will sell millions!

There is a market as demonstrated by beats, why undercut the price when ppl are willing to spend that much, repeatedly.

Introducing. AKG Quincy Jones Q701 at $399

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 55
Maybe sooner
Apparently the people at AKG think that if they make their headphones look as ugly as skullcandies they can sell more
They're going to need a closed, easier to drive headphone first though

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 55
Or you can get a music legend to put his name on and sell the same headphones for more $$$$.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 55
Actually, I think many people have realized this. The main issue is that there are better headphones out there right now, and if these people would just do some deeper research (vs just looking at cnet and walking around Best Buy), they would see that. The typical buyer of the Beats and Skullcandies don't put much time into researching their purchase, they just buy what they see at the store, exactly like you point out in your post.

It is true that with the Beats, it's exposing more people to higher quality sound, even if it's not the best value for the money. Hopefully it will lead them to look at other gear once the Beats break.
tongue.gif

And also, I agree with mikop.

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 55

Quote:
Why sell it at $199... when they see ppl are willing to pay $299 for Beats...  They can easily market it as a well built true audiophile HP endorsed by this great musician/producer worthy of $350... if it cost more, it gotta be better than Beats and it will sell millions!

There is a market as demonstrated by beats, why undercut the price when ppl are willing to spend that much, repeatedly.

Introducing. AKG Quincy Jones Q701 at $399

They would sell it cheaper because they need some way of getting market penetration.  Look at what happened when the android phones were released, suddenly a good smartphone for $99 (on contract) wasn't unheard of.  You could get old blackberries and WinMo 6.1 phones for $99 before, but never a newer blackberry or iPhone.

Once product X gains a decent market share, you can bet monster would lower their prices to keep competing.

I totally forgot about the Q701 when I wrote this, thats a good example of what I'm talking about.  The problem is, while Quincy Jones is extremely successful and well known, he isn't nearly as well known as Dre in the 18-24 age range.  I'm sure that even despite that, the Q701 will probably sell faster than the K701 has.  Also, as Apple has shown time and time again, marketing is as or more important in a product being successful than how good the product actually is and I can honestly say I've never seen an AKG ad outside of the internet.

Quote:
Actually, I think many people have realized this. The main issue is that there are better headphones out there right now, and if these people would just do some deeper research (vs just looking at cnet and walking around Best Buy), they would see that. The typical buyer of the Beats and Skullcandies don't put much time into researching their purchase, they just buy what they see at the store, exactly like you point out in your post.

It is true that with the Beats, it's exposing more people to higher quality sound, even if it's not the best value for the money. Hopefully it will lead them to look at other gear once the Beats break.
tongue.gif

And also, I agree with mikop.

Well, they might have realized it, but I was bored and felt like writing it anyway 
biggrin.gif

For the record, I don't like that it has to be this way just as much as anyone else, the world would be a better place if people were willing to research things on their own.

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 55
You have to admit that putting Dre on Monster headphones was a genius idea. You can't go through a pop/rap music video without seeing Beats headphones or the red cord.

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 55
Err...anyone else have trouble making any sense of OP's "story"?

OP, so you're saying that we shouldn't bash the Beats because they're more expensive and worse sounding than "headphone X", and therefore, making "headphone X" more enticing to younger consumers, and ultimately creating "18 year old audiophiles"? Thus, we should be thanking the Beats for sucking and indirectly creating "18 year old audiophiles"?

Seriously, whatever you're smoking, I hope you're planning to share!

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 55
Nov 11, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 55
Nov 11, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 55

LOL
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Err...anyone else have trouble making any sense of OP's "story"?

OP, so you're saying that we shouldn't bash the Beats because they're more expensive and worse sounding than "headphone X", and therefore, making "headphone X" more enticing to younger consumers, and ultimately creating "18 year old audiophiles"? Thus, we should be thanking the Beats for sucking and indirectly creating "18 year old audiophiles"?

Seriously, whatever you're smoking, I hope you're planning to share!

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 55
The problem is they aren't really audiophile headphones... We have audiophiles (Head-Fi), and "audiophiles" (Beats, Bose etc.).

How could Dre know what good headphones are when he doesn't know what good music is?

Oh yes, I went there.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #15 of 55
I see ur name isn't Dr.Riku540, so whatever you say will be considered stubborn and contrarian XD

Quote:
The problem is they aren't really audiophile headphones... We have audiophiles (Head-Fi), and "audiophiles" (Beats, Bose etc.).

How could Dre know what good headphones are when he doesn't know what good music is?

Oh yes, I went there.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't know why it's so difficult for brands like Sennheiser or Beyer to design headphones that look "cool" to the younger market. If Skullcandy can do it, better engineers should be able to do the same. But they continue to make ugly headphones like the HD280 that appeal to no one. It's just simple human instinct to be drawn to shiny colorful things

Users who are viewing this thread

Back