Down to 5 choices, help me decide!
Oct 16, 2010 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tempor

New Head-Fier
Hi all.

Been searching and reading a lot of threads on this forum for the past couple of days and I have narrowed my first ever 'real' headphone purchase to five choices - I would like some help selecting the best for me.  I know they're closed but I need them for frequent travels (often flight) where I can not disturb people next to me.

In no particular order, as I've heard none of them:

1. Sennheiser HD25-1 II - $199 at Amazon
   2. AKG K271S - $165 at Amazon
   3. Audio Technica a500 - $120 at Amazon
   4. Audio Technica a700 - $112 at Amazon
   5. Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO - $175 at Amazon

bonus addition I just found: Audio-Technica ATH-ES7? $200 at Amazon

I listen to mostly metal/extreme metal (Metallica, Pantera, Nile, Origin, Gorguts, Absu, Amon Amarth, etc), but also random video game soundtracks, orchestra stuff, ambient etc - just MOSTLY metal.

I will be using either a Sony NW-A800 or Sansa Fuze as my source, whichever is better, I can also get a portable amp if necessary (will start THAT search once I finally decide on my headphones...)

Portability is somewhat a factor and I know most of these are full-size headphones, but if a full-size sounds better for my music I don't mind lugging them around at all.

Or should I just get some Sennheiser HD201s for $16? :p

If this should be in the portable section I apologize.

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 11
I would say the Sennheiser HD-25-1 II's. I think these are the best portable cans around, and would suite your genre nicely. If you are a basshead I would suggest the DT770 PRO's

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 11
I dont really think DT770 Pros are made for metal haha and the audio technicas are WAYYY out of questions...they are more for classical....Haven't heard the AKGs so i suggest the HD25-1 II's, like abovetheair :p.

Oct 17, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 11
Awesome, that just further seals the deal.

Can anyone tell me a reputable online store for headphones so I can order these things?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 11
You will most certainly like them. I really liked them when I had them.

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 11
I got  Hd25-1 II recently and Slipknot sounds pretty dang good on them ( I guess they are the closeses band to the metal genere I have....) regardless the HD25-1 II have an amazingly tight bass and good detail (not the best but as good as it gets for closed portables) and they are pretty much indestructble. I will have a brief review of them up soon with pictures of break down. 

Finaly got some CD's riped in WMA lossless and this headhones have trully come alive, the bass and clarity are now clearly apperant. make sure if u get these ur music is riped in good quality otherwise you will be disapointed.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 11

Abovetheair said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would say the Sennheiser HD-25-1 II's. I think these are the best portable cans around, and would suite your genre nicely. If you are a basshead I would suggest the DT770 PRO's

Thanks for your analysis! It is just the solution for my problem, It's comprehensive.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 11
HD25-1 II = amazing.
Demo'ed these at a friend's house and can definitely say from what I've heard they sound better than the dt770./

Users who are viewing this thread

Back