Double Helix Cables Thread
Feb 3, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #631 of 2,056
Hi guys, just a quick question here on behalf of a friend.

he's thinking of getting either a DHC cable from a local distributor, or a whiplash twag hybrid straight from whiplash, but doesn't know which Is more suitable.

any folks here can comment on the sonic qualities of the symbiote fusion cable? he's looking for smoother highs and a more spacious sonic presentation.

muchas gracias!

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #632 of 2,056
Hi guys, just a quick question here on behalf of a friend.

he's thinking of getting either a DHC cable from a local distributor, or a whiplash twag hybrid straight from whiplash, but doesn't know which Is more suitable.

any folks here can comment on the sonic qualities of the symbiote fusion cable? he's looking for smoother highs and a more spacious sonic presentation.

muchas gracias!

I believe cable has very subtle effect on sound. However, smooth is a good word to describe.  Accurate presentation, great clarity in the highs, and solid tight bass will be captured.  IMO the effect of spaciousness will result directly from equipment used other than cable.  Both brands are very well constructed.

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #633 of 2,056
Hi guys,

I just wanted to report that I received my DHC cable on an order I placed in mid November. As usual, the workmanship is impeccable. I had asked Peter to not use shrink on my cable, and he abided by using a creative manner to stealthily identify the channels on the Audeze end while providing ample strain relief on the 1/4" end ... I am quite pleased with how he did it.

As to the sound, my cable is going through the burn-in process as we speak, but since I had already purchased a Molecule SE Synergy cable before, I expect the improvements to be on the order of tightening up the bass on my LCD-XCs as well as liquifying the mids and trebles. After doing some listening last night, I can already hear these improvements taking hold.

It took a while to receive, but I am very happy with my purchase. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #634 of 2,056
  Hi guys,

I just wanted to report that I received my DHC cable on an order I placed in mid November. As usual, the workmanship is impeccable. I had asked Peter to not use shrink on my cable, and he abided by using a creative manner to stealthily identify the channels on the Audeze end while providing ample strain relief on the 1/4" end ... I am quite pleased with how he did it.

As to the sound, my cable is going through the burn-in process as we speak, but since I had already purchased a Molecule SE Synergy cable before, I expect the improvements to be on the order of tightening up the bass on my LCD-XCs as well as liquifying the mids and trebles. After doing some listening last night, I can already hear these improvements taking hold.

bigsmile_face.gif

What does burn in actually do to affect the cable?  Thanks!

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #635 of 2,056
  Hi guys,

bigsmile_face.gif

You are lucky I ordered and paid for an ACSS cable in October and still haven’t got it! I asked him 4 weeks ago to either send me my cable or my money – no responds!

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #636 of 2,056

What does burn in actually do to affect the cable?  Thanks

Theoretically, the reason why the sound can change with signal running through a new cable has to do with the dielectric properly forming. When a signal passes through, it is absorbed and re-released by the dielectric into the main signal flow. It is this re-release of the signal that causes an edginess and an indistinct quality to the sound. After about 50 hours or so, this re-release subsides giving the sound greater clarity and smoothness. Actually, this is the same process with capacitors and that is why electronics, especially those that use high grade capacitors, sound different after run-in.

I spoke to Matthew Bond of Tara Labs long time ago about this, and since he is a trained metaloligist and designed all the Tara cables, I believed what he had to say. Many of his best cable designs tried to reduce the effects of the dielectric, in fact, The Zero cable which sold for five figures used pressurized air as the dielectric since the above described effect was eliminated.

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #637 of 2,056

You are lucky I ordered and paid for an ACSS cable in October and still haven’t got it! I asked him 4 weeks ago to either send me my cable or my money – no responds!

I had a bit of trouble getting a hold of him too. He just moved and has been preoccupied; I would suggest contacting him again reminding him you have an old order unfulfilled.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #638 of 2,056
  Hi guys,

bigsmile_face.gif

This is really interesting. You received an order you made in november. I haven't received my cable which I ordered and paid for in september!
I have just sent email to Peter, lets see what he answers.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #639 of 2,056
I got the Comp4 cable I won in one of DHC's contests back in the summer today.  Wow, the spatial presentation is phenomenal.  Very 3D like where reflections are much more discernible.  Bass seems to be tighter, less bloated, mids are more prominent and focused.  Highs seem to be a little bit more laid back.  Maybe a little less in volume as compared to the Comp3.  Now, if Peter could get a combination of the best attributes of the Comp3, detail and transient attack, and the Comp4's 3D spatial presentation that would really kick ass.  Might he consider doing a copper/silver hybrid or even a full silver version for the Comp4?

I'm just amazed at the difference his cables make and, IMO, it's not subtle.  They just take things to a whole other level up in realism.

Loving listening using the Comp4.  Thanks Peter!

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #640 of 2,056
  I got the Comp4 cable I won in one of DHC's contests back in the summer today.  Wow, the spatial presentation is phenomenal.  Very 3D like where reflections are much more discernible.  Bass seems to be tighter, less bloated, mids are more prominent and focused.  Highs seem to be a little bit more laid back.  Maybe a little less in volume as compared to the Comp3.  Now, if Peter could get a combination of the best attributes of the Comp3, detail and transient attack, and the Comp4's 3D spatial presentation that would really kick ass.  Might he consider doing a copper/silver hybrid or even a full silver version for the Comp4?

I'm just amazed at the difference his cables make and, IMO, it's not subtle.  They just take things to a whole other level up in realism.

Loving listening using the Comp4.  Thanks Peter!

Agree completely. I have a silver cable with my HD800 and I love it! Better bass and more bass than stock lol. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #641 of 2,056
well after some badgering, i finally received my cable order from Peter, which I had ordered early-mid September. the new connectors look great and the entire package sounds even better. kudos again to the craftsmanship of Double Helix Cables :)

that said - i paid $45 for international shipping to Singapore. i received a 'confirmation number' from Stamps.com/USPS on 28th January, the shipment updated to 'scanned' on 30th January and then the number vanished from the system - slightly worrying, but FAQs explained that a confirmation number is not a tracking number and does not show the progress of the package (no idea why the number stopped working though). when the package arrived today, 2 weeks after it was sent, it consisted of a the cable in a plastic bag, wrapped in a cloth bag, housed in a thin padded envelope. 

while DHC makes a great product, in this case, i question whether i got my money's worth in terms of service :frowning2: 

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #642 of 2,056
For me - Peters DHC Comp4, Molecule Xtreme, and new Comp4 w/ adapter kit ALL destroy the Nordost Heimdall 2 headphone cables!
And I've been a fan of Nordost goin' back to 1996

To me, the "best" cable should come as close as possible to sounding like NO cable - it doesn't impart its own SQ onto the music,
and Peters just NAILING it lately, IMHO:

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #644 of 2,056
After reading these posts, I guess I shouldn't feel too bad that my order from Mid-November still has not shown up. Oh well, back to waiting. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #645 of 2,056
I was thinking hard about ponying-up $250 for the Mini Complement4 portable interconnect (AK120ii>Vorzuge Pure II), but dang, knowing my impatience, I'll be pulling out my hair waiting upwards of 6 months (3 months would be bad enough).  LMAO, this likely saved me $$ I can use on something more impactful.  I do love the look/apparent build quality of DHC cables, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back