Domino's Pizza changing its pizza
Jan 2, 2010 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

Turnaround

100+ Head-Fier
Can Domino's New Pizza Deliver on Taste?

CBS video:
Can Domino's New Pizza Deliver on Taste? - CBS News

Quote:

(CBS) The next time you order pizza from Domino's, you may notice something a little different.

The famous pizza chain has changed their recipe after two years of research - with customers taste testing nearly 50 blends of crust seasoning,15 sauces and dozens of cheeses, reports CBS News correspondent Bianca Solorzano.

"For 50 years we've been known for our great delivery. With this new pizza, we're going to be known for great delivery and having the best tasting pizza," Domino's president Patrick Doyle boasted.

Coca-cola infamously changed its recipe in 1985 - they called it New Coke. Consumers called it awful.

The difference for Domino's - a consumer survey ranks Domino's number one overall, but dead last when it comes to how the pizza tastes.

Domino's website for the pizza changes:
New Domino's Pizza - Oh Yes We Did.

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 70
Never had Domino's.

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 70
I've tried the new pizza a couple of times. It's really not changed that much, I would say I like it better, but keep in mind it's dominos so it won't blow you away. I only order it all the time cause I can't haul my lazy ass down to the University Center for some food
tongue.gif

So in the end Old Dominos<New Dominos<Classic Chicago Deep Dish yum

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 70
I had some domino's a few weeks ago, not sure what recipe, but it was pretty good. I remember eating their pizza years ago, and how it tasted like burnt cheese.

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 70
I grew up with a dominos very close by, so I have had their pizza countless times. The new recipe is odd. The dough changes and cheese changes are fine, fairly subtle, but the sauce is where the big difference is. It is now sweet, but they add cayenne pepper to the sweet sauce. It's an odd flavor combination that to me isn't very appealing.

What's nice about the change is I live in the Chicago area, so finding quality homegrown pizza places isn't hard at all
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 70
Looks like a nice move.
Never seen Domino's Pizza around here, but will check them out if I find one.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 70
Good move on their part considering their pizza was terrible. I doubt I will order from them to try the new stuff as there are too many quality mom and pop pizza joints around here...

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 70
I'll have to give it a try one of these days. Still, it'll be hard to switch away from some of the smaller shops that are nearby. The locals compete strongly on price - Domino's has gotten expensive.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 70
Quote:

The locals compete strongly on price - Domino's has gotten expensive.

Most Pizza chains have coupons that you can find online, come in included with flyers from the shop, or are attached to the pizza box itself. The savings can be pretty drastic.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 70
No matter what recipe they changed, the taste will always depend on how the 15yrs old at the kitchen decide to do with your pizza anyway.
I got slightly burned pizza, slightly undercook, too little toppings, sometimes it's heaps (only happened once), you name it.
You'd be surprised how such a standard pizza like Supreme can taste so different everytime I order.

I only order delivery, and I got bad ones quite often. I didn't call to return the pizza because I'm sure if I did that, the replacement will have some extra spit topping on it.

The best pizza is still the one made by a small Italian pizzeria owned by Italian mafia.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #13 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll pass. There are too many independent pizza joints that make a much better product.

No reason not to try their new pizza.

For all we know, it could be the best pizza ever! DUN DUN DUN...

But in all seriousness, their current pizza tastes like cardboard with Cheese Whiz melted on it. If this new pizza is actually good, I'd be impressed.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 70
Well I hope it's not like New Coke. That was just failed interpretation of the marketing research. I actually like Dominos [the Australian branch obviously] so I hope it's not too different. Then again, we'll probably get it much later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back