Domino's Pizza changing its pizza
Jan 19, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #61 of 70
Here on the West coast, it's all about Round Table Pizza, Topper's Pizza, and Lampost Pizza. I wish there was a Hell Pizza here to try.

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #63 of 70
For some reason, this morning, I was analyzing why i have no interest in trying their new recipe.

I think i figured it out.

The commercial says they identified problems of "our crust is like cardboard" and "our sauce is like ketchup".

They say they fixed those problems by adding garlic butter and spices.

the "like cardboard" aspect of pizza crust is a fundamental problem with dough development. If it's not properly kneaded and risen, the gluten strands are short, and that's what gives it a papery texture. You can't fix cardboard crust with garlic - you need a new process and potentially different ingredients (like a different grade of flour or yeast).

cardboard with garlic butter on it is still cardboard. I'm a snob here because i know what I'm doing when i make pizza crust and I know which corners they're cutting in their process.

the "like ketchup" aspect of the sauce means that they put too much emphasis on thinning their tomato sauce with vinegar. Adding spices (and from all reports, sugar) doesn't make it less like ketchup that's had spices added.

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #64 of 70
You pretty much nailed it, they threw a few spices on their crust and added sugar and cayenne pepper to their sauce. I personally liked it more before, and I doubt when I get the passing mood for Domino's I'll end up ordering from them. There's better options for cheap pizza.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #65 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason, this morning, I was analyzing why i have no interest in trying their new recipe.

I think i figured it out.

The commercial says they identified problems of "our crust is like cardboard" and "our sauce is like ketchup".

They say they fixed those problems by adding garlic butter and spices.

the "like cardboard" aspect of pizza crust is a fundamental problem with dough development. If it's not properly kneaded and risen, the gluten strands are short, and that's what gives it a papery texture. You can't fix cardboard crust with garlic - you need a new process and potentially different ingredients (like a different grade of flour or yeast).

cardboard with garlic butter on it is still cardboard. I'm a snob here because i know what I'm doing when i make pizza crust and I know which corners they're cutting in their process.

the "like ketchup" aspect of the sauce means that they put too much emphasis on thinning their tomato sauce with vinegar. Adding spices (and from all reports, sugar) doesn't make it less like ketchup that's had spices added.

I was thinking of something along those lines when I saw the ad on tv, but you really got it head on. In all honesty, Pizza Hut is much better for a cheap pizza alternative.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #68 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In all honesty, Pizza Hut is much better for a cheap pizza alternative.

Pizza Hut in Canada is insane cost wise. I ordered a large pep stuffed crust with a 2L of pop and bread sticks, it came to $53 delivered.

I called toppers and got a large pep, wings, bread sticks, 3 dipping sauce 2L of coke for $38 delivered.

lol pizza hut

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #69 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuaffiliate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pizza Hut in Canada is insane cost wise. I ordered a large pep stuffed crust with a 2L of pop and bread sticks, it came to $53 delivered.

I called toppers and got a large pep, wings, bread sticks, 3 dipping sauce 2L of coke for $38 delivered.

lol pizza hut

Damn. The Pizza Hut there might as well rob you at gunpoint. Here in the US, it's the other way around. Pizza Hut is cheap while Topper's is expensive.
biggrin.gif
However, Topper's is so much better by a long shot.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #70 of 70
Thats the weird thing in college pizza hut wasn't so expensive, i used to order large stuffed crust all the time too bad things change :/ lol

Toppers is great their toppings are always the freshest and top quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back