Does what I want exist on any earphone?
Jul 26, 2010 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

chengbin

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering, does what I want exist on any earphones, or anything comes close?

I'm looking for:

RE0 clarity (especially the treble)
Shure level of isolation 
Creative EP-630 amount of bass
(optional, but nice to have), Etymotic ER-4 cable durability. 

Anything come close?

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 14
If Meatloaf was right, and 3 out of 4 ain't bad, then I think the ER-4P will get all the above except the EP-630 [bloated, IMO] bass.

I also think the DBA-02 will also get you at least 3 out of 4 -- not sure how it is rated for isolation, tho.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 14
You might want to consider Turbine Pro Gold/Copper.

Personally, I'd say Turbine Pro Copper with Sony hybrids will give you what you are looking for, but I don't know how isolation compares to Shures.  Cable is durable.
The Sony tips make the Coppers bassier, just a bit less than EP-630, but it is quality bass unlike 630.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 14
I don't quite remember the isolation of the CK90PRO but I remember them being pretty decent. I haven't heard the EP630 but I can imagine what kind of bass they would have. My guess is the CK90PRO has 3/4. Their cables aren't that great however esp when compared to the AT brothers in the CK10 and CK100.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 14
ER-4S does come close, just the bass, as people said. 

The Shure SE535 is another 3/4, but the treble (if anything like the SE530), is far too laid back after using a RE0.

And about the bass, I want EP-630 bass quantity, not quality (of course). 

Bass is quite important. While RE0 bass is enough, it is only enough in a quiet environment. I use my earphones 95% outdoors, and the RE0's bass is almost non existent outdoors (especially the subway).

Actually, everything is important. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 14
Triple's or IE8's ?

This is definately a Meatloaf situation .. since the fit of the Triples may be a problem. not sure if the IE8 fits in though ... ??

Jul 27, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 14
Hitting the full spectrum well is always a challenge with earphones.  Even when an earphone covers the whole spectrum, engineers may tweak the sound to achieve certain goals that certain market segments favor.

An initial suggestion would be the Triple.Fi 10.  I assume you some bass exaggeration but also some high end emphasis and detail.  The Triple.Fi 10 is a little V shaped in response which gives you that emphasis.  As well, the notes are thick and articulate which gives a full-bodied, enveloping sound that is a bit unusual for a balance armature driver based earphone.  I like to describe the Triple.Fi 10 has having a club type sound, enveloping, energetic.

If you want something a little flatter in response Klipsch's Custom 3 is an excellent buy.  It's not as robust sounding as the Triple.Fi 10 but it's a little more natural and open.  It still offers a well textured and energetic sound but does it in a very balanced way.

People already suggested the Westone 3 which is another earphone along the lines of the Triple.Fi 10 with a V shaped response.  There is also the Westone UM3X as a secondary option.  Both offer a lot of the same traits, but they are geared a little different from each other in goal.  You seem to want that bass and treble emphasis, so the W3 may be a little more fun for you.  What the Westone options offer are very high level of detail and clarity.  You tend to hear more of the little sounds within the music with these Westone options over a lot of the other earphones out there.  Some people do consider the presentation of these as being a bit too claustrophobic, because the presentation is more like you're right up on stage instead of out in the crowd.  It's a very forward, in your face kind of presentation.  Some folks like it, some don't.

The Monster options may or may not suit  you well.  I can't comment on the Copper version specifically, but the Gold version I have used.  The bass is clean, well controlled, and extended but not exaggerated.  The mids and treble are a bit smooth, and you may seek more detail up top than what the Gold offers.  The Copper does offer more, but I'm not sure if it's enough either.

The IE8 is an interesting option.  If you want bass emphasis, you've got it.  Despite the emphasis, the earphone is actually well balanced through the rest of the spectrum.  It's just that the bass peak is at 100Hz and is a very wide curve that reaches up to 1kHz.  This makes the earphone a little warm sounding and bass dominant.  The bass knob is half worthless.  It only adjusts everything below 100Hz, so it only fixes half the curve.  You'll always have the midbass emphasis, but you'll either make the bottom end anemic when set low or even when set high.  The better route is to set it high and take a very wide EQ cut at 100Hz.  Midrange and treble is good.  The earphone offers a lot of extension too, but the only downside is it's a single dynamic driver trying to do everything.  By the time you get to the upper treble, the driver starts having a hard time presenting details and tends to sound a little soft, blurred.  It's just an inherent limitation of the design.  While it offers more edge than say the MTPG, it simply can't present the details.  One big gain with the IE8 is the vast sound stage.  It's something very opposite the Westones.  Instead of being up on stage or in the crowd, it's more like a theater where you're sitting up on the second balcony watching the performance.  The size is vast.  The downside is there is little intimacy and there is little sense of proximity or layering of the sounds.  Everything is presented far away.  It's likable, but realize there are a variety of options out there.  For example, the Westone may be very up front, but it does offer that layering, depth, and distancing between sounds.  The Triple.Fi 10 is somewhere in between were you get a good sense of size but still some distancing, and it offers a decent sense of layering and spacing between sounds.  The Custom 3 is a great example of an earphone that has a large but linear sense of space and you get both a sense of intimacy and distance and the layering and spacing.between things.  Very few earphones offer a very linear and well spaced sense.  It is rare.  Not everyone seeks it either.  Some folks want that huge sound stage, and the IE8 delivers.  Other options suit other preferences.

There are certainly more options out there that might suit you.  There are a number of products I simply have not used yet that I know are decent but I'm not sure if geared towards your goals.  My safe bet to you is the Triple.Fi 10.  It is an in-between product that offers a good mix of a lot of properties.  It's aggressive, energetic, and enveloping.  It is clean, detailed, and offers a good sound stage.  Other options do certain things better, but the Triple.Fi 10 is that good all-around package device.  The only challenge with it is fitment.  It's a little bulky, and requires a little time fiddling with the angle and placement to get it to sit in the ear well.  You're going to tweak and retweak the memory wire for a while before you're happy.  I would also suggest picking up some Comply T-500 tips.  They have a 3 pack with one small, one medium, and one large that lets you get a great fit for whatever ear size you have.  It's $20 though, ouch I know, but it will make the process a whole lot easier and is a worthy investment for getting a solid seal and easy comfort.  You have the option to wear them up over the ears or turn them 180 and wear them down and tucked against the ears.  Over the ear is more secure of course, but I did prefer the downward hanging option for normal, stationary use.  The Triple.Fi 10 is also really easy to drive, so amping isn't concern.

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #14 of 14
I would also suggest the MTPC, the isolation depends very much on the tips but if you can get the triple flange to work they will be what you are looking for IMO.

Quote:

You might want to consider Turbine Pro Gold/Copper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back