do you use EQ?
Mar 14, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #166 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by j-dawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool thanks man. Sheesh must've been a bad day... I feel stupid when I do stuff like that. Peace bro!

Hey it's all good j, nice meeting you on Head-Fi. Thanks to everyone who responded to my posts. I appreciate and respect your comments, opinions and viewpoints.:.

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #167 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because you cannot hear the difference between eq in and eq out does not mean there is no difference or that someone else may not be able to discern this difference.

My dog might be very upset with the sound of my equalizer!

See ya
Steve

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #168 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dog might be very upset with the sound of my equalizer!

See ya
Steve

For sure Steve, I've heard it said our canine friends have much better hearing than we humans. If only they could tell us how our tweaks really sound, how dialed would our systems be then?
biggrin.gif
Aloha.:.

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #169 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why use eq when you can buy amps and headphones

Why buy amps and headphones (that sound almost the same as the old ones) when you can use eq?
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #171 of 233
Quote:

A good point if you listen mostly to headphones, however the folks like Steve and j-dawg who weighed in regarding using eq as a cost effective tool for room tuning made some really valid points as well. As always, each situation is different and there is no rule of thumb.:.

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #172 of 233
Quote:

Sure, and rather than use EQ you should just change your speakers as well, and if your listening room is less than ideal you should just remodel it... anything is better than using that nasty EQ...
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #173 of 233
Lets all rip out walls, board over the windows and live in a house wallpapered with egg cartons!

See ya
Steve

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #175 of 233
I've read through the 18 pages (so far) of this thread, and don't believe I've yet noticed anyone remarking upon one key use of -- and need for- equalizers (especially with headphone listening): Some of us have hearing loss at certain frequencies and need to compensate for that loss. Is there any other way than the utilization of an equalizer? (I myself have tried using the one with my iAudio 7, and though it seems to be quite versatile, I still haven't managed to format it is deal satisfactorily with my problem.)

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #177 of 233
Since the iPod only does presets I use "Rock" when I use my portable amp and my earphones and "treble boost" in my cars (because they already have enough bass and midrage - but the highs suffer a bit).

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #178 of 233
No EQ for me on the go, as I find the iPod presets distasteful, but I do fool around with EQ all the time on my desktop with foobar.

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #179 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by JGP08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No EQ for me on the go, as I find the iPod presets distasteful, but I do fool around with EQ all the time on my desktop with foobar.

In general I can't stand presets on ANY audio device. The system in each of my cars uses the settings I want to use (as best as I can without buying a separate EQ). But those presets are better than a poke in the eye with a stick. Also, I can use the C&C XO amp to improve the sound from there.

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #180 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read through the 18 pages (so far) of this thread, and don't believe I've yet noticed anyone remarking upon one key use of -- and need for- equalizers (especially with headphone listening): Some of us have hearing loss at certain frequencies and need to compensate for that loss. Is there any other way than the utilization of an equalizer? (I myself have tried using the one with my iAudio 7, and though it seems to be quite versatile, I still haven't managed to format it is deal satisfactorily with my problem.)

You could do that ofcourse, and it's perfectly good if that's what you want to do.
But there would be a big difference with what you hear at concerts and the like.
I am suffering a little hearing loss above 16 KHz, and find sometimes that I like a bit brighter sounding headphone better than the more dull sounding ones, but that's about as far as I want to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back