do you use EQ?
Mar 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #181 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could do that ofcourse, and it's perfectly good if that's what you want to do.
But there would be a big difference with what you hear at concerts and the like.
I am suffering a little hearing loss above 16 KHz, and find sometimes that I like a bit brighter sounding headphone better than the more dull sounding ones, but that's about as far as I want to go.

BigJohn: I recently moved up from Sennheiser HD580 (which I used for years) to Sennheiser HD595, which definitely are brighter sounding, but they still don't entirely (or even merely satisfactorily) solve my problem. I am a classical music listener, and I have found (paradoxically to both my dismay and pleasure) that ripping my older classic mono cd recordings currently provides me more rewarding listening (obviously due to the more restricted frequency range of those earlier recordings).

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #182 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BigJohn: I recently moved up from Sennheiser HD580 (which I used for years) to Sennheiser HD595, which definitely are brighter sounding, but they still don't entirely (or even merely satisfactorily) solve my problem. I am a classical music listener, and I have found (paradoxically to both my dismay and pleasure) that ripping my older classic mono cd recordings currently provides me more rewarding listening (obviously due to the more restricted frequency range of those earlier recordings).

Hi,
Maybe you are the customer that a pair of Grado 325 (not the improved ones!) are waiting for here at the local dealer!
I auditioned these a while ago, and liked them very much.
It's only, I auditioned them with good recordings...
When using them to listen to some lesser recordings, I found that they were too bright for my taste.
So maybe they could fill your need..?

It's just that when you are going to use eq to "boost" the high freq. a bit, what you here will be very different from what you hear when attending a live performance.
Maybe you don't ever do that, but still...
What I mean is; "your norm of how music sounds is very different from what someone else is hearing"
I know this is allways the case, but I guess in a somewhat lesser degree.

Personally I have a slight hearing loss which is normal on my age above 16KHz, and I have no plans to adjust this with eq because it's what I am used to.
But then again; "If you like to boost the highs a bit" why not!
cool.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #183 of 233
Quote:

Hi,
Maybe you are the customer that a pair of Grado 325 (not the improved ones!) are waiting for here at the local dealer!
I auditioned these a while ago, and liked them very much.
It's only, I auditioned them with good recordings...
When using them to listen to some lesser recordings, I found that they were too bright for my taste.
So maybe they could fill your need..?

It's just that when you are going to use eq to "boost" the high freq. a bit, what you here will be very different from what you hear when attending a live performance.
Maybe you don't ever do that, but still...
What I mean is; "your norm of how music sounds is very different from what someone else is hearing"
I know this is allways the case, but I guess in a somewhat lesser degree.

Personally I have a slight hearing loss which is normal on my age above 16KHz, and I have no plans to adjust this with eq because it's what I am used to.
But then again; "If you like to boost the highs a bit" why not!
cool.gif

BigJohn: I, along with so many other contributors to this thread, don't like having to resort to using an equalizer. It's less a matter of principle than of the bother of having to mess with it. I therefore am now going to concentrate on improving the quality of the signal, hoping that'll alleviate somewhat my problem. I believe I can best do this through maybe using an external dac and amplifier (I am already using and enjoying the Headroom Total Airhead, but not the Total Bithead -- as I don't have a usb line out on my iAudio 7) or different headphones (which I am loathe to do after just recently having upgraded my Sennheisers). I will probably next be querying this forum seeking some advice on which (if any) portable mp3-type players have either usb, optical or coaxial lines out.

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #185 of 233
Quote:

BigJohn: I recently moved up from Sennheiser HD580 (which I used for years) to Sennheiser HD595, which definitely are brighter sounding, but they still don't entirely (or even merely satisfactorily) solve my problem.

Ascherjim, i'm 23 and don't have hearing loss. In fact, I've recently discovered that i can hear up to 23khz. My first "audiophile" cans were hd595 and even to my ears they didn't had enough/good (sorry, newbie...) highs. I'm not an expert, but i suggest you to at least try some other brighter cans. Even eq doesn't help with these.

PS: i was about to buy hd650, but when you sad that 595 are brighter than 580, and from what i've heard they not so different (580 to 650) in highs I've changed my mind.....so.....thanks for the info
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #186 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ascherjim, i'm 23 and don't have hearing loss. In fact, I've recently discovered that i can hear up to 23khz. My first "audiophile" cans were hd595 and even to my ears they didn't had enough/good (sorry, newbie...) highs. I'm not an expert, but i suggest you to at least try some other brighter cans. Even eq doesn't help with these.

PS: i was about to buy hd650, but when you sad that 595 are brighter than 580, and from what i've heard they not so different (580 to 650) in highs I've changed my mind.....so.....thanks for the info
biggrin.gif

NajoBB: Let us know which phones you end up with. Thanks for your comments.

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #188 of 233
I use EQ only to balance out the sound and compensate for the differences in my equipment, so that as best as I can tell, the music sounds the way it was meant to sound.

With my Senn HD212 and V-moda Vibes, I have to REALLY cut down the bass and increase the upper-mids and highs just so they sound more balanced, even though they still pump out a TON of bass. With my HD595, I have very small tweaks to my EQ (~3dB at most), just to cut the mid down a tad so that the vocals don't drown out the guitars, bass, and drums.

I recently ordered a pair of Etymotic ER6i, hoping that they will be more balanced than the Vibes so that I can listen to my Creative mp3 player without EQ.

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #189 of 233
I don't use eq as I like to listen to the music as originally recorded...

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #190 of 233
UPDATE:

I used to use small EQ for the low end but I have since upgraded caps in my MAX, and I can now confirm that the bass quality is WAY better than the EQ could do (MAX was bass shy before). EQ wasn't bad but this is insane!

I still believe in EQ for small tweaks but I am satisfied with my system with the EQ flat.

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #191 of 233
To attempt to compensate somewhat for my hearing loss at certain frequencies, I now think I need to pursue the matter of utilizing an equalizer further. I have a Little Dot MKII and a Headroom Micro dac (and of course a dvd player feeding the signal through its coax port). If I do go ahead and get an equalizer, where in that signal chain would I put it? Also, does anyone have any recommendations on a reasonably lost-cost equalizer for my rig?

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #192 of 233
Quote:

To attempt to compensate somewhat for my hearing loss at certain frequencies, I now think I need to pursue the matter of utilizing an equalizer further. I have a Little Dot MKII and a Headroom Micro dac (and of course a dvd player feeding the signal through its coax port). If I do go ahead and get an equalizer, where in that signal chain would I put it? Also, does anyone have any recommendations on a reasonably lost-cost equalizer for my rig?

I can't recommend that.
In that way you're music at home will sound way different than what you hear away from home
biggrin.gif

'Think about it.
Even your best friends recorded voice would sound different to you, than what you hear when he really talks to you...

Apr 6, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #193 of 233
On rare occasions I will when a recording is very poor. Otherwise, never.

Apr 6, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #194 of 233
Quote:

I can't recommend that.
In that way you're music at home will sound way different than what you hear away from home
biggrin.gif

'Think about it.
Even your best friends recorded voice would sound different to you, than what you hear when he really talks to you...

BigJohn: Point well taken. I will endeavor to desist for now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back