do you use EQ?
May 4, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #211 of 233
yes,

earphones sound different to each other anyway, just like eq imo

i always want more treble, so far the best ive found is treble booster with my UE tf10, havent found a sound sig a like more than this

May 5, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #213 of 233
Flat is a setting as well.
biggrin.gif
How do we know that the "flat" setting from the manufacturer is truly flat anyway? It's all about choice and preference.
smily_headphones1.gif

The whole idea of "intended sound" is an extremely flawed logic given that all recording and playback component sounds different to various extend. Not to mention the "artist intended" vs "recording engineer intended" argument.

But I do buy that based EQ could take away something that you like. But in most cases, I believe the benefit outweighs the sacrifice in quality when good EQ hardware or algorithm is employed.

May 5, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #214 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pecker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, Flat is all I want!!

Plus my zune has no EQ!!

In which case it doesn't matter what you want... flat is what you get.
wink.gif

May 14, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #215 of 233
It just depends on my mood and how I want to hear the music. Lately I haven't but just a few minutes ago I turned it on, on my D2. I like how my settings sound and that is how it should be. If you like the sound of it flat then by all means go for it, if you change settings on the EQ and it sounds good to YOU, then by all means keep them. It's all based on preference IMO, especially when it comes to DAPs. My settings are pretty minimal. With my settings, the volume is basically the same with just more clarity in the vocals and more bass.

Now if I were to talk about a home setup then no, I personally wouldn't. But on a DAP then I see only good coming from it if it isn't tweaked around too much and doesn't distort the sound. Not all DAPs are going to have the same neutral setting.

May 14, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #217 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's easy to make custom EQ settings for your iPod. Here's how:

1. in iTunes, go to the "Window" pull down menu, and click Equalizer.
2. Set EQ sliders as desired
3. in top of EQ window, click on pop-up menu - select "Make Preset"
4. Give your new custom EQ the exact same name as one of the Presets that appear on your iPod (e.g. Rock) - select Save - then tell it to replace the original setting (over-write) when prompted.
5. Sync your iPod.
6. Now when you select Rock EQ setting on your iPod - you will hear the custom EQ setting you just saved.

Oh wow, sounds promising! Thanks!

May 14, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #218 of 233
The only & the only reason i use EQ is to increase the PreAmp..
And due to that all my Songs sound much clear.

with normal Gain levels all my songs sound so Dull.

May 14, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #219 of 233
no EQ, no effects, just listen to music the way it is
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #221 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01
It's easy to make custom EQ settings for your iPod. Here's how:

1. in iTunes, go to the "Window" pull down menu, and click Equalizer.
2. Set EQ sliders as desired
3. in top of EQ window, click on pop-up menu - select "Make Preset"
4. Give your new custom EQ the exact same name as one of the Presets that appear on your iPod (e.g. Rock) - select Save - then tell it to replace the original setting (over-write) when prompted.
5. Sync your iPod.
6. Now when you select Rock EQ setting on your iPod - you will hear the custom EQ setting you just saved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Minimum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh wow, sounds promising! Thanks!

Except for the fact that it doesn't really work that way...

May 16, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #222 of 233
no never. i have tried it, but it always sounds 'wrong'. any eq in the ipod just messes up the sound.
i don't use eq on any other rig either. i just dont have a need for it.
any tuning i do is equipment based (modding and such), its much more fun that way too.

May 16, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #223 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except for the fact that it doesn't really work that way...

Do you know this for sure? I have not been able to give it a try. Before giving it a go, my iPod stopped being recognized by my computer. This is the third time this has happened. On the other occasions I had to reset the iPod and everything started working again. No dice so far this time, though...

May 17, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #224 of 233
I believe that one uses EQ when any one part or combination of parts of your listening chain is deemed deficient by the listener. This could be from your source (mp3? lossless? bad original recording?) - DAC (high/low quality?) - preamp - amp - cable/interconnects - speaker/headphone/earphone.

Simply put, if you have quality gear and source, you do not and should not use EQ to intentionally ruin the original recording. However, to ruin or not, that totally is up to the listener to choose.

Personally, I do not ever use EQ.

May 17, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #225 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Minimum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know this for sure? I have not been able to give it a try. Before giving it a go, my iPod stopped being recognized by my computer. This is the third time this has happened. On the other occasions I had to reset the iPod and everything started working again. No dice so far this time, though...

Yup, it sounds like it could work but it doesn't. iPod doesn't syncs eq settings except itunes embeded eqs on song property. Many have confirmed this including myself. Now though, it should be an easy fix for apple to implement this on iPods but I don't know why they don't offer it despite the big demend for this feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back