Do you think Sleek by 50 >>> Beats Pro's?
Apr 25, 2011 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iAmSofaKing

New Head-Fier
I know theres no way to tell right now but, guessing which do you think will be better? I prefer headphones with a nice bass but also with clear voices, something i didnt get with my Beats Studios...

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Well, I'll save judgement on the Sleek until it's released.  The new iphone and ipods in general are not too bad sound quality wise, with a clean user friendly operating system and Apple's proven track record, you could do a lot worse.  Now for some headphone suggestions:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Beyerdynamic DT 770 32 Ohm, DT 770 PRO 80Ohm

Denon AH-D1100

Ultrasone HFi-580, HFi-780, PRO 900

A deep powerful bass response as well as oustanding overall sound quality is what you'll find in all of these options.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 10
Beats are such trash. They're overpriced Skull Candies. There is a reason why monster cable hides all the details about how they perform from the public.

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Also is it true the sound quality will depend on what your headphones are connected to? Any word on how the quality will be like if its connected to an iphone 4?

It more or less does. The source affects the sound, yes. The DAC, components, and power stage effect the sound, but for newcomers, it's relatively minute. It's usually something that you really have to listen to if you come from an already decent source, like an iPhone. (This is all within the portable realm. The full size realm is a tiny bit different ime.) An iPhone 4 is good enough, well I can only assume so. Most mass marketed headphones are easy to drive.

And considering Sleek Audio has a genuine background in headphones--IEM's, sure, but it's more than what Monster had before Beats--I'd certainly hope the Sleeks sound better. In fact, I really hope they do. They look awesome. Not positive about Kleer though.

Quote:
Beats are such trash. They're overpriced Skull Candies. There is a reason why monster cable hides all the details about how they perform from the public.

Find me some Skullcandies (other than the Aviators, Mix Master, and Pro) that sound as good as the Beats. If anything, they're overpriced Ultrasones, switching S-Logic (aka tilted and displaced) with NC. Actually, that's an injustice. Overpriced Sony's? Well, they sound better than the XB series (excluding the XB1000) which doesn't mean much, but still.

They hide details about the Turbine series too, and they're pretty respectable.

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 10
The Kleer system was reviewed pretty favourably a while back, with Sleek's own IEMs, so I don't doubt the wireless capability of it. The big question is how they'll sound, and at what price they'll command.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Find me some Skullcandies (other than the Aviators, Mix Master, and Pro) that sound as good as the Beats. If anything, they're overpriced Ultrasones, switching S-Logic (aka tilted and displaced) with NC. Actually, that's an injustice. Overpriced Sony's? Well, they sound better than the XB series (excluding the XB1000) which doesn't mean much, but still.

They hide details about the Turbine series too, and they're pretty respectable.

There's a difference, more professionals use Sonys. Any company that hides the details about their cans is clearly not tailoring their product to people actually concerned with the quality of the equipment they're buying, and it just makes me vom in my mouth a little when you got these kids strutting around campus like they're in on some big secret, like they've entered the holy gates of hi-fi. For the amount that these chumps are paying, they could get some real nice equipment on their head, and they're being scammed. It's all about the name and the looks, and that's damn unfortunate.

Sorry. Beats have made me rage ever since some kid tried to tell me that they were better than anything I owned…. And I just turned to him and said "Dude. Audio-technica does the sound equipment for the Grammies… What does Beats do? Oh yeah, collaborate with Justin Beiber to make headphones. Go back to your monster cable momma."

I should find a thread to express myself in… Excuse me.

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
There's a difference, more professionals use Sonys. Any company that hides the details about their cans is clearly not tailoring their product to people actually concerned with the quality of the equipment they're buying, and it just makes me vom in my mouth a little when you got these kids strutting around campus like they're in on some big secret, like they've entered the holy gates of hi-fi. For the amount that these chumps are paying, they could get some real nice equipment on their head, and they're being scammed. It's all about the name and the looks, and that's damn unfortunate.

Sorry. Beats have made me rage ever since some kid tried to tell me that they were better than anything I owned…. And I just turned to him and said "Dude. Audio-technica does the sound equipment for the Grammies… What does Beats do? Oh yeah, collaborate with Justin Beiber to make headphones. Go back to your monster cable momma."

I should find a thread to express myself in… Excuse me.

Monster confuses me. They bother to make decent IEM's (I have both Turbine Pro's, and they're genuinely good), and sign up on this site to promote them, but they make things like JustBeats and HeartBeats. One could argue that it's smart I guess. Taking advantage of the "Sheeple" phase where you basically have to be a clone of some famous person to be accepted.

Although, it's not that I'm annoyed with any specific person, it's just that the people in general that vomit up "BEATS SUCK" never actually provide anything useful. They're the most underrated headphones here because of that. They're basically the same as the Beats lovers. I mean they sold for $120 from Monster. It's a decent enough price for them. Sure, you could get M50's for that much, but they're not that special either. More durable, yes. Slightly better sounding (I've heard both with my own music and everything. It's slightly. Anything past 15% and you're a bit delusional), yes, but hey, as an experiment, it's cheap enough. I could very well go around threads spewing "AKG IS A SELLOUT. BEFORE THEY GAVE US THINGS LIKE THE K340, K1000, AND SEXTETTS. NOW WHAT DO THEY GIVE US? HIGHLIGHTER COLORED K702'S AND PORTABLE HEADPHONES." but what good would that do? It's preaching to the choir and does nothing. It's the same basic structure as what Monster is doing, but they make some better sounding things. I mean sure, "express your opinion" and all, but it means nothing unless you can back it up with something other than a trip to the yellow tag store. Otherwise it's as much useless as this post probably is. Oh, and sure, professionals use Sony's (I assume you're talking about the V series?), but that doesn't mean they're all that great for the money excluding the V6's on sale and the 7509HD. I'd venture to say the V700's are worse than Beats...

...anyways, when is the release date for the Sleeks? And is there any chance they'll be sold at big box stores? I mean it's 50 Cent marketing it, but I didn't think Sleek was a big company. I know I'm wrong. Did they make hearing aids prior to entering the IEM business like...a lot of other companies?

Oh, the OP is talking about the Pro's. They're nothing THAT special. They're the most artificial sounding headphones I've ever heard. It's akin to taking any headphone, connecting it to an EQ, raising the bass and mids by 10dB and treble by 5dB. They're more fun than the Studios, but, dare I say, they're less accurate than them.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #9 of 10
jj1pgk.gif

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #10 of 10

It's because just about everything surrounding every version of the Beats has been discussed verbatim, time and time and time again.  Yet it never fails, daily there are new threads with people asking the same questions about Beats.  And, almost inevitably, they refuse advice given and buy the Beats - why?  They're expensive, and have Dre's name on them, and lots of people wear them and they're trendy, so they must be good, right?  Plus, having a cool-looking set of headphones to show off to your friends by far trumps what those headphones actually sound like - they're a fashion statement used to listen to 128kbs trash rips, nothing else.  It's no surprise the almost universal response to anything regarding the Beats is so vitriolic - they deserve it.

I hope the Sleek headphones blow the Beats out of the water, in price, performance, and popularity.  At least then, maybe people could just stick with calling the fallen Beats simply "Beats", instead of "Monster Beats Studio by Dr. Dre headphones".  Being pretentious doesn't work when your sole claim to being that way is a piece of junk.

Off the tangential, but I think the Sleek headphones will be better - primarily because 50 is a much better marketer than Dre, and with the Beats as entrenched in popular culture as they are, it's going to take something better, cheaper, and with a bigger name behind them (and, at least as far as this metalhead knows, 50 is a bigger name with modern kids who like rap than Dre is).  Without a reasonable chance at success, I don't think 50 (or those who advise him) would back the Sleek headphones.
Quote:

Although, it's not that I'm annoyed with any specific person, it's just that the people in general that vomit up "BEATS SUCK" never actually provide anything useful.

...anyways, when is the release date for the Sleeks? And is there any chance they'll be sold at big box stores? I mean it's 50 Cent marketing it, but I didn't think Sleek was a big company. I know I'm wrong. Did they make hearing aids prior to entering the IEM business like...a lot of other companies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back