Do you ever stop to think that this hobby is a joke?
Nov 26, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #121 of 185
Ahhh [size=x-small]YES[/size] the Pleasure Principal applied!

Great post DrWells....

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #122 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't just listen to music - I produce it, perform it, compose it, et cetera.

why do you continue to feel a need to put such an emphasis on this about yourself?

anyone that I have ever met that has any talent never feels a need to do so yet only ones insecure with themseleves feel a need to.

Quote:

I think a lot of wise-guys are calling all of this a "hobby" because they're fat/lazy rich guys that don't have any other real skills, so, instead of undertaking a real hobby which requires skill and dedication, they undertake a community of people who spend outrageous amounts of money on electronics, and then listen to their music through it.

being so disrespectful towards others does not make you look smart, only little..

personally, I think your just young and need some more years of real life experieinces..

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #123 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why do you continue to feel a need to put such an emphasis on this about yourself?

anyone that I have ever met that has any talent never feels a need to do so yet only ones insecure with themseleves feel a need to.

being so disrespectful towards others does not make you look smart, only little..

personally, I think your just young and need some more years of real life experieinces..

Ignore him. Or he might just say he has better taste in music than you.
rolleyes.gif

There's no joke about this hobby. It is a true hobby to everyone else except him.

I fail to see how being a music major is going to benefit anyone else but him, anyway the way he goes on romping about in this forum my diagnosis would be an axis insecurity as well.

Nov 27, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #124 of 185
Quote:

I think a lot of wise-guys are calling all of this a "hobby" because they're fat/lazy rich guys that don't have any other real skills, so, instead of undertaking a real hobby which requires skill and dedication, they undertake a community of people who spend outrageous amounts of money on electronics, and then listen to their music through it.

Let's see...
600smile.gif

Collecting stamp - No real skill involved, so classified as 'past time'

Car Lover - No real skill involved, classified as 'past time'

Collecting coin - No real skill involved, classified as 'past time'

Gardening - No real skill involved, so classified as 'past time'

Making Nuclear Bomb to get even with Bush - Skill and dedication involved, classified 'hobby'.
("And I know you smart guys would never call that a hobby" ~ Aman)

Ha, just got my 100 posts for two year?
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #125 of 185
No joke, I got into this hobby 'cause the terrorist made G.W.Bush tell us we should go out shopping~

Simply doing my patriotic duty..... Having volenteered durring our Vietnam conflict, I'm conditioned to do what I'm told~~
cool.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #126 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's see...
600smile.gif

Car Lover - No real skill involved, classified as 'past time'

Making Nuclear Bomb to get even with Bush - Skill and dedication involved, classified 'hobby'.
("And I know you smart guys would never call that a hobby" ~ Aman)

Ha, just got my 100 posts for two year?
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Actually I beg to differ about the car thing. You'd know if you ever tried to set up a custom tune for a 2.0 liter supercharged 4 banger. hehehe.

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #127 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I beg to differ about the car thing. You'd know if you ever tried to set up a custom tune for a 2.0 liter supercharged 4 banger. hehehe.

Ok, let just narrow down to those more general car lovers (reading car magazines, putting car poster next to bed, like to keep their car shiny...etc), and not those modders/tweakers....
580smile.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #128 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fail to see how being a music major is going to benefit anyone else but him, anyway the way he goes on romping about in this forum my diagnosis would be an axis insecurity as well.

Well, somebody as unsuspectingly pompous as yourself would be interested to learn that I'm not a music major. Don't make assumptions, foo'.

You're located in NYC? If you have any involvement in the jazz and avant-garde scene down here, then you've probably experienced me and/or my work at some point within the last three to four years. If only you knew who I was...
biggrin.gif

My mentioning that I am actively involved in music was relevant, and I was not at all intending to "secure" some sort of insecurity by stating the fact. Though, when one is faced with an opposition they're unable to defeat, they often try to tackle the opponent with such assertions. I could have mentioned one of my best friends, who is in a similar position as I, or John Zorn, or Ludwig Van Beethoven. It wouldn't have mattered - my point would still be the same.

ClieOS: One can have a hobby which does not require skill, but instead dedication. Many hobbies require both. Collections require a sincere amount of dedication, and also a lot of knowledge regarding the subject. Sitting on your ass all day requires neither of those things. I'm admitting this, even though I am one of you. I listen to two or three hours of music a day - I don't have a "high fidelity" setup but I've invested a good deal of money on it! I do not fill in my personal voids by saying this is a "hobby". This that we partake in is a pastime. I have real hobbies I indulge in. This is one sad hobby, if you're going to call it that. Unlike what the majority of audiophiles actually are, we'd be one of the lowest members of society by terms of sophistication. The only people that would be lower than us are the hardcore gamers and the perverts.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #129 of 185
plainface.gif
Hobby...past time...passion...obsession. If labels are important, have at it. None of this matters in the overall scheme of things, but no reason not to enjoy ourselves for our short time on earth. I do know one thing -- most of the folks of this board are the politest and most helpful crowd I've encountered anywhere in a long time. I'm having fun here and most others seem to be, too.

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #130 of 185
Quote:

Well, somebody as unsuspectingly pompous as yourself would be interested to learn that I'm not a music major. Don't make assumptions, foo'.

You're located in NYC? If you have any involvement in the jazz and avant-garde scene down here, then you've probably experienced me and/or my work at some point within the last three to four years. If only you knew who I was...
biggrin.gif

My mentioning that I am actively involved in music was relevant, and I was not at all intending to "secure" some sort of insecurity by stating the fact. Though, when one is faced with an opposition they're unable to defeat, they often try to tackle the opponent with such assertions. I could have mentioned one of my best friends, who is in a similar position as I, or John Zorn, or Ludwig Van Beethoven. It wouldn't have mattered - my point would still be the same.

ClieOS: One can have a hobby which does not require skill, but instead dedication. Many hobbies require both. Collections require a sincere amount of dedication, and also a lot of knowledge regarding the subject. Sitting on your ass all day requires neither of those things. I'm admitting this, even though I am one of you. I listen to two or three hours of music a day - I don't have a "high fidelity" setup but I've invested a good deal of money on it! I do not fill in my personal voids by saying this is a "hobby". This that we partake in is a pastime. I have real hobbies I indulge in. This is one sad hobby, if you're going to call it that. Unlike what the majority of audiophiles actually are, we'd be one of the lowest members of society by terms of sophistication. The only people that would be lower than us are the hardcore gamers and the perverts.
rolleyes.gif

I'm sad to read this post on Head-Fi.

Seems the poster has an attitude and feels the need to express "superiority" over others. Sad.

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #131 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems the poster has an attitude and feels the need to express "superiority" over others. Sad.

It's not a question of superiority. It's about what we're labeling this as. A previous poster mentioned the insanity of even trying to label this as a pastime versus a hobby. To a degree, he's correct - but if we label the mere sitting on our butts with our music on as a "hobby" - something which has the productive superiority of a "pastime", such as sports or video games, then what kind of respect does this show the people who are bringing us all of this great music? This is the sign of a societal trend, where we as a people are becoming more and more disconnected with our world's artists. I am just upset that, as it appears, few people truly understand the amount of effort and strength it takes to produce artistically-expressive creations. If listening to music comfortably on our couches is on the same level as putting your entire life into that one brilliant opus, then I see absolutely no reason to continue pursuing my career.

Fortunately for me, my audience deals mostly with those who have a sincere appreciation for the artists and what they go through, and they can identify that the mere enjoyment of music is not on the same level as what it takes to make that music. Surely, some of you guys can understand where I'm coming from? I'm not saying that this lovely experience we all pursue is a waste of time or a joke. I respect everybody's opinion! I am merely suggesting that we lighten up and recognize what we do for what it is. We shouldn't elevate its importance just because we ourselves are active participators.

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #132 of 185
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

First, being an audiophile does require skill and dedication. It require you to read though forum posts and magazines to acquire certain degree of knowledge on headphone, speaker, solid state vs. tube amp...etc. It require you to dedication your spare time to understand what type of music best suited for what type equipment, what type of equipment best suited for what type of enviroment. Than it requires you to learn the set of skill to fine tweak the system. It maybe adjusting the speaker in a small room to eliminate echo, or knowing how to setup an EQ that will hit the sweet spot of a headphone (these are all skill that rich people pay an sound engineer to do it for them). If you think what i just said is trivia, so is collecting coin/stamp/whatever. Does knowing the history of stamp help a person for stamp collecting? Yes. Does a stamp collector need to know about stamp history to collect stamp? No. The person in second situation may not be as dedicate as the first person, but that does not means what he/she is doing is no a hobby.

Take a look at those who build small wooden model as hobby, all they need to know are how to shape wood and put all of the correct pieces together, than the time to do it (skill and dedication). However, seems i am not interested in building wooden model, i have no such knowledge. But i can bet to you that most of those people will not know as much as i am (or many on these forum) on how to correctly position their speaker nor the reason of using NOS tube in amp, and that is my dedication (time i spent to read instead of sleep) and skill (the knowledge and experience) accumulate from my hobby.

You said "I do not fill in my personal voids by saying this is a hobby", and that is why we are different. Pastime is 'An activity that occupies one's spare time pleasantly, hobby is 'An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure' (Quite similar, ain't them?). You do not pursued it like the rest of us, therefore it is that stage of mind that separating it as a pastime for you, and hobby for me. And hearing you said 'it is a sad hobby' make me feel like you are judging me as an outsider who doesn't understand what i am doing (even though i know you don't mean that). It will be equal to when you're playing jazz music and a hip-hop kid came along and commented that your music suck because he has no understand of jazz but no that he doesn't like music.

Beside, I am not a hardcore audiophile and i have other hobbies too...(trying to train my cat and have some success; making different kind of LED candle cause black out is quite often; also once spent 2 years to finish a puzzle...a long story there
600smile.gif
)

On extra note: I love my music before i become an audiophile (too poor and young to be one), and still love my music after i become one (at least my friends think i am). It is just that now i also like headphones and amps...
600smile.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #133 of 185
Quote:

To a degree, he's correct - but if we label the mere sitting on our butts with our music on as a "hobby" - something which has the productive superiority of a "pastime", such as sports or video games, then what kind of respect does this show the people who are bringing us all of this great music?

Respect for the artists? We, as people who care enough about music to spend time and money on it, are respecting their work by paying for and listening to it.

To me, labeling the enjoyment of music a "hobby" or "pastime" doesn't matter. I gain spiritually and mentally from this activity, and it is "productive" to me. I don't particularly care how it's labeled or perceived by others.

BTW, don't assume we just sit on our butts all day listening to music. We type and click mouse buttons, too.
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #134 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am as passionate about my headphone rig as I am about my coffee grinder and sewing machine . . . . I have little regard for these objects in-an-of-themselves, but much for the results they produce and enjoyment they yield.

nuff said.

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #135 of 185
I got into this hobby and my aim is simple , to find THE equipment that fully protray the music that i enjoy to its fullness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back