Do you ever stop to think that this hobby is a joke?
Nov 25, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #31 of 185
Leng,
Sorry you are so disillusioned about all this. Maybe you need a hug.
blink.gif

I agree with your equaliser point though. Audio reviews should be written with a flat eq, but I see nothing wrong with equalising, to get the desired effect, or to offset hardware bias.
A lot of people think that because an eq is there, they must fiddle with it. My wife does this zig-zag thing. I may divorce her.
H

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #32 of 185
Hobby? Maybe. Obsession? Definitely.

It's like anything else really. When it comes to guys and what they want the fun is in the Chase, once they get what they want, they play with it for a while, then move on to the next greatest thing.

I think some people get lost in the gadget aspect of it and forget about why they got into it (for a better listening experience).

When you think about people trying to achieve the "perfect" sound, it's almost laughable because what makes music so great is that it is an Art. There is no perfection in Art. It is what it is, and it is made better for it's flaws.

The fact is that many people on this forum probably have sound systems that offer a better sound than they would ever get if they went to a concert and heard/saw the real thing. Which, if you think about it, is quite silly since most people are trying to achieve that "concert" sound, but it's impossible to do so because it is the energy of the band feeding off the energy of the crowd and vice versa that makes a concert what it is... It's the visual stimulation coupled with the music and the crowd that makes it great, and yet most people dislike live recordings. hehehe.

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #33 of 185
In response to the original question:

All of life can be, just look around at the values countries hold close to. In my work I see people picking through garbage for something edible. Countries wonder how can they blow their neighbor to hell, literally.

Nah, its no joke.

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #34 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you get more thrill out of a car when you get higher dyno numbers or 1/4 times than better sound quality out of headphones. At least you can really feel it throughout your body when you hit the speeds
smily_headphones1.gif
. But different strokes for different folks
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't feel like i will get more thrill out of a car's speed (in any manner), but than again it is a very subjective matter, right? I do love car, but simply from a functional and design standpoint (let put it this way: i will rather be a car designer than a car racer).

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #35 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't feel like i will get more thrill out of a car's speed (in any manner), but than again it is a very subjective matter, right? I do love car, but simply from a functional and design standpoint (let put it this way: i will rather be a car designer than a car racer).

Yes yes. In a subjective manner. On the road course, AutoX event, drag strip, dyno, etc.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #36 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brat_Boy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously? I thought he was just trying to use big words.
tongue.gif

Nah , he is trying to school ya on Willy S. give ya tha big pic from the 17th century. Same state as the old school. Time changes people do not.
Really though it is Shakespeare. Read more
blink.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #37 of 185
Interesting point. A lot of activities seem pointless to those on the outside. I've got friends and family very into other activities that don't mean much to me. But that's OK. None of them are self-destructive and they seem to get a measure of happiness out of them.

As for headphones, they really are an affordable pastime. Really. You can come close to the top of the heap with $300 headphones and $300-$500 for an amp. It may sound (pun intended) like a lot to some people, but the median wage can easily afford it.

It's not just the gear, either. The discussion here is subjective, but it's also like shooting the, uh, excrement with your buddies. It's much more of a social thing than a hardware thing. Even the DIY section is a lot like helping your friend paint his apartment. That's the real reason people hang around here. It's not the headphones. I'll bet that someone who doesn't much care about cans would have a good time reading and posting in the Members' Lounge.

Nov 25, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #38 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1911 owning an Orpheus and using Monster Cable ICs. Now that's a joke.

Im sure that Orpheus would still sound mighty fine even with Monster Cables.
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #39 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by canhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im sure that Orpheus would still sound mighty fine even with Monster Cables.
wink.gif

well, also take in consideration that he only plays "Il Divo" through it. oi.

Nov 25, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #40 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinwerm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second , this is mostly a male oreinted interest , sorry it just is this way. Gadget wise I confess I love all things electronic (male that I am). I also have a passion for music and sound. Combine the two and here we are , talking about it , sound equipment.

it is. which is strange to me. every time i meet up with people, everybody's shocked. they automatically thought i was a guy.

to the op: this hobby is not a joke. seriously. all we're doing is looking for the right ear/mind candy.

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #43 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by xlEnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its kinda fun

Like when ya get the joke..........Then it's extremely FUNNY!

And I suppose likewise, if ya not having fun then the joke is really frustrating taken the wrong way...

*Philosophizing on the cerebral introspection of the fun @ Head-Fi*

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:33 AM Post #44 of 185
Sometimes I think this addiction to sound is a joke. Sometimes I feel like some people here need all that expensive equipment just to enjoy music, which is abit strange. On occasion I feel like some people here look down upon people who listen to music through cheap headphones and consider them inferior. And I dont get this attitude towards EQ'ing either, like do you really think that music is recorded straight onto a CD and left alone? are people even aware of how much EQ has gone into recorded CD's to get it to sound correct. Everthing from snare's to hi-hats and to kicks are EQ'ed to change the sound to the artists preferance, so why get objective when people want to change the EQ on the DAP? Its already been EQ'ed to hell already so why not embrace the option? And I also agree with the thread starter about amps basically being an EQ because it is. All amps add their own sound signiture to a source either it be increasing the base, bumping up the mid-range or high-range. So how comes this is accepted but internal EQ's aren't?

Just like all types of hobies, there's a level of snoberry that exist inside of its community, eg, the fellow with $1000 watch which can work in space see's a young kid with a cheap digital watch and thinks, Ha! look at that teenage bum with his crappy watch! why would anyone use that! Only If I could enlighten him to better quality. But the thing is, Its only a watch, you can see the time perfectly so why do I need a $1000 watch. And to a certain degree I think this happens here alot on Head-fi. Every once in a while you'll get someone mentioning something about how they cant understand why someone would use ibuds. Like there some kind of num-nut for destroying there music, but aren't they enjoying their music? Alot of people need to realise that there the ones who decided to spend hundreds on equipment, there the ones who are indifferant not people with crap equipment.

I just feel that sometimes people need to remember that there was probably a time when they were the ones with stock buds, Heck even I was happy with buds that came with my walkman. I had no desire to upgrade, all that mattered to me was my beautiful music. Even though I have spent hundreds on headphones and equipment, I still never forget that Im taking upon myself to do this. It doesn't make me special or more entitled to appriciate music, it just means that Im an idiot for wasting money when I could hear good music through headphones that cost a quarter less.

Whooo! forgive me for that! it was just on my chest for ages.

Nov 25, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #45 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I think this addiction to sound is a joke. Sometimes I feel like some people here need all that expensive equipment just to enjoy music, which is abit strange. On occasion I feel like some people here look down upon people who listen to music through cheap headphones and consider them inferior. And I dont get this attitude towards EQ'ing either, like do you really think that music is recorded straight onto a CD and left alone? are people even aware of how much EQ has gone into recorded CD's to get it to sound correct. Everthing from snare's to hi-hats and to kicks are EQ'ed to change the sound to the artists preferance, so why get objective when people want to change the EQ on the DAP? Its already been EQ'ed to hell already so why not embrace the option? And I also agree with the thread starter about amps basically being an EQ because it is. All amps add their own sound signiture to a source either it be increasing the base, bumping up the mid-range or high-range. So how comes this is accepted but internal EQ's aren't?

Just like all types of hobies, there's a level of snoberry that exist inside of its community, eg, the fellow with $1000 watch which can work in space see's a young kid with a cheap digital watch and thinks, Ha! look at that teenage bum with his crappy watch! why would anyone use that! Only If I could enlighten him to better quality. But the thing is, Its only a watch, you can see the time perfectly so why do I need a $1000 watch. And to a certain degree I think this happens here alot on Head-fi. Every once in a while you'll get someone mentioning something about how they cant understand why someone would use ibuds. Like there some kind of num-nut for destroying there music, but aren't they enjoying their music? Alot of people need to realise that there the ones who decided to spend hundreds on equipment, there the ones who are indifferant not people with crap equipment.

I just feel that sometimes people need to remember that there was probably a time when they were the ones with stock buds, Heck even I was happy with buds that came with my walkman. I had no desire to upgrade, all that mattered to me was my beautiful music. Even though I have spent hundreds on headphones and equipment, I still never forget that Im taking upon myself to do this. It doesn't make me special or more entitled to appriciate music, it just means that Im an idiot for wasting money when I could hear good music through headphones that cost a quarter less.

Whooo! forgive me for that! it was just on my chest for ages.

Well, i'd be happy with the ibuds if i had nothing else
Even right now, i'd be happy with KSC75, but will be happier with better cans

And regarding EQ, engineers EQ to make everything sound right in their neutral systems, and we buy cans that are pre-EQed, we choose them according to our tastes

Which is why we're getting different cans instead of just getting one and EQing them, the maker of the cans knows how to EQ their products to their strengths better than we do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back