Do you ever stop to think that this hobby is a joke?
Nov 25, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #16 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get the feeling you guys are completely missunderstanding his post on a whole and zeroing on a small part of it.

Come on, this poor guy is crying out for help...He thinks an amplifier is nothing more than an equalizer. This is tragic.
frown.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #17 of 185
Nov 25, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #18 of 185
leng jai, I just got into this hobby a couple months ago and recently I found myself asking the same questions. I also think this hobby can be perceived as frustrating because you buy a pair of cans, amp or source, just to relaize you still want more, then you have to try and sell it and move on. It is an extremist's hobby. Why is it that we can usually find 1 pair of speakers that we are happy with, but we need different headphones for different genres of music? I guess it is a curse to like too many genres. I will stay in this hobby because of the journey, but it will mostly be middle of the road as I have too many hobbies and not enough cash to support them all.

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #19 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on, this poor guy is crying out for help...He thinks an amplifier is nothing more than an equalizer. This is tragic.
frown.gif

I think he was commenting more on how people try to match "dark" amps with "bright" headphones or "bright" amps with "dark" headphones, etc.. when a bit of EQ would probably do the job. Not necessarily saying that amps do nothing but EQ.. just how amps on the same level have different EQ.

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #21 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know there is a lot more to amping than EQ. My point was that sometimes you might be satisfied with a little software EQ instead of spending large amount on something which is essentially an EQ in hardware form.

I guess I misunderstood this then,huh?

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #22 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brat_Boy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arthurwells, that honestly sounded like something I'd read in a junk e-mail. As for the hobby being pointless, it's not even a hobby for me. I stumbled on here looking for a case for my Zen Micro, and found the altoid tin case instructions. Then I got a recommendation for some headphones. As far as I'm concerned, though, it's not any less of a hobby than computer tinkering or microscopes (the latter is my dad's). Everyone needs something to look forward to every day. If that's listening to some nice headphones or looking for better ones, so be it.

Actually he is quoting Shakespeare , from Macbeth , the soliloquies. I think
cool.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #23 of 185
I still see it that way. I guess only he can clarify.
plainface.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #24 of 185
Just forget about all the headphone upgrades, amps and sources and get back to the essential part, the music! During my first month here, I quickly went ahead and spent over 1600 dollars on a bunch of headphones, sources and an amp. Well, that only left me with one problem, I ran out of money for music! So I've decided no more upgrades for me for at least another year and all the money I will earn on my work term will go towards buying music. So take my advice and start enjoying your music for what it is instead of worrying about sound quality and whether or not you're hearing the best possible sound. Remember the good old days when we could enjoy our music with our stock buds? =)

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #25 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just forget about all the headphone upgrades, amps and sources and get back to the essential part, the music! During my first month here, I quickly went ahead and spent over 1600 dollars on a bunch of headphones, sources and an amp. Well, that only left me with one problem, I ran out of money for music! So I've decided no more upgrades for me for at least another year and all the money I will earn on my work term will go towards buying music. So take my advice and start enjoying your music for what it is instead of worrying about sound quality and whether or not you're hearing the best possible sound. Remember the good old days when we could enjoy our music with our stock buds? =)

you could have also gone with plan b which consists of finding someone with a big music collection(preferrably one with your taste in music) and then beat them up and run away with their cds

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #26 of 185
I agree... For the money i've spent on headphone equipment alone (not counting the stereos)... I could've done so many things with a car (which is another one of my hobbies). But when you see such beautiful things, it becomes tempting.
frown.gif

Not a good hobby for a 16 yr old.

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #27 of 185
Every hobby/interest is subjective in nature.

We might spend all our time discussing the good or bad of a headphone that lead to nowhere, but is it just the same as any hobby? Hobby is just a way of categorizing the activity of what people like/love to do with their spare time, it can not (and should not) be valued by other as much as to that person. So if you feel like it is a joke to you, that is fine and maybe it is time for you to move on. At the end, one's hobby does change with time.

I know people who spent as much time and money on RC jet/boat/car, which doesn't bring them anything but a little fun...isn't it the same to all of us?
If you keep a hobby that you don't like/love, than I will consider that's a joke.

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #28 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every hobby/interest is subjective in nature.

We might spend all our time discussing the good or bad of a headphone that lead to nowhere, but is it just the same as any hobby? Hobby is just a way of categorizing the activity of what people like/love to do with their spare time, it can not (and should not) be valued by other as much as to that person. So if you feel like it is a joke to you, that is fine and maybe it is time for you to move on. At the end, one's hobby does change with time.

I know people who spent as much time and money on RC jet/boat/car, which doesn't bring them anything but a little fun...isn't it the same to all of us?
If you keep a hobby that you don't like/love, than I will consider that's a joke.

If you keep a hobby that you don't like/love, than I will consider that's a I think you get more thrill out of a car when you get higher dyno numbers or 1/4 times than better sound quality out of headphones. At least you can really feel it throughout your body when you hit the speeds
smily_headphones1.gif
. But different strokes for different folks
smily_headphones1.gif
. Don't we all wish were billionaires so we could enjoy every hobby on earth without limitations? Too bad, for me. I enjoy the hobby of stereos almost as much as i enjoy cars.

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #29 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinwerm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually he is quoting Shakespeare , from Macbeth , the soliloquies. I think
cool.gif

Seriously? I thought he was just trying to use big words.
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #30 of 185
1911 owning an Orpheus and using Monster Cable ICs. Now that's a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back