Do you buy used IEMs?
Aug 22, 2013 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

squallkiercosa

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering, what do you think about used IEMs? and in case you bought something already, how was your experience? Not going far from the subject, how long last your IEMs normally?  

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 13
i personally have bought e3c,e4c,scl3,se310,se210,se315,se420,se530's,se535 bronze used, se535-ltd-j reds,westone w4r.

come to think of it, i never bought any iem new and i never have had any issues with any of the iem's ive bought. 

if you are wearcy about used tips, buy new ones, shouldnt be any other issue

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 13
Really depends on the seller. I have sold plenty IEMs and even though I prefer to buy new products only, I have bought a few used.

I am crazy about technical products and I treat them with greater care than some people treat their pets. There are not many, but some people are like me.

If the seller has a good camera and takes detailed pictures instead of just snapshots, that's always a good sign. If I have the feeling that the seller has some kind of emotion with the product he's selling, I consider him trustworthy.

Not too long ago I have bought a headphone in "like new perfect condition." It was dirty and the package was missing. Luckily he lived closeby so we did a personal meet. I told him that I think it is really rude to sell the product as is.
Actually, he was very surprised and he didn't understand what I was talking about. I then realized that people just treat products differently when they look at them simply as tools.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 13
I got a really nice trade for some used UM2 RC's on Head-fi. I normally don't do used, but the user was incredibly fast and had kept them in excellent shape. So what really matters is the seller, not the product.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 13
Never bought any in ears new, but i buy headphone used, though. Only one that died on me was also the most expensive one. DAMN LCD2. Anywho, you'll be fine with used stuff. Once in a while they break, but what doesn't?

Also, buy from someone with at least 2-5 feed back...

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com
Aug 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 13
I have bought many IEM used on ebay and headfi. Headfi experience is usually better because it's okay to ask how old it is and how many hours has it been through, while most ebay sellers will just ignore you. If you buy from someone with a good reputation, I wouldn't worry too much. If you're worried about sterility, just replace the tips. I usually do that but if not, then wipe the tips with ethanol and call it a day.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 13
I have a bag of tips so usually don't care about that. However it depends on price. if it's a cheap item I might take a risk on someone with low feedback depending on how I think the seller is but an expensive item I will only buy from established members

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 13
I never buy used equipment.  For electronics I think it's always a mistake.  You never know how they were used, if they were dropped etc....

I used to buy a lot of used CDs, that was fine if I could check them first for radial scratches.  I also buy used books because it's often the only way to get novels from previous decades.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 13
I never buy anything used esp. on ebay. But there are a couple of stores nearby my home which sell used items (discmans, walkmans, headphones etc.) and since I get to see & feel the real thing beforehand, it depends on how bad the product is.

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 13
I have no problems with buying used IEMs as far as hygiene is concerned. However I tend to prefer having a warranty, so unless buying used is considerably cheaper and I'm willing to take a chance on its reliability I would still prefer buying new items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back