Do u Twitter?
Jun 16, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #61 of 103
twitter is pretty bad, its ok for news on bands or celebrities, but 99% of the time i don't care what you're doing.

i've been on a few twitter pages, celebs, none of it is ground-breaking.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #63 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get the impression that the only people who do not like twitter do not really know how to use it.

Not necessarily. I think it boils down to personalities. Some people like to know what their friends are up to, some people like the world to know what they're up to. It took me a while to uptake blogging in general. I still only prefer consumer/product/review related blogs. You'll see the common theme of people that don't like twitter are those that don't really care to know everyone and their mother does. Some people thrive on social interaction, some don't, or prefer to leave the proximity of interaction to in-person, calling or IMs even.

It definitely serves a purpose, esp. in countries with limited freedom and getting the news out to maybe consumers etc. For me, the level of interactivity in FB is good enough; I've been with them since they were limited to .edu account holders only and as long as they become something like myspace, I'm fine with it, although with the new format they've gotten very twitter-esque.

-my 0.02

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #64 of 103
Some people use it to keep track of others while some use it as a open diary for all to read.

In any case, David Yuen (dawei21) on Twitter
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #65 of 103
facebook reminds me too much of AOL. I just prefer twitter because it is alot simpler.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #67 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't give a rats ass what people are doing from minute to minute and I hope they don't want to know what I'm doing. Facebook status updates are more than enough for that kind of idle social paracitism.

Couldn't agree more. I have been reconsidering in light of the heavy use of the service to get info out of Iran during the present crisis. I'm still not convinced, but this is a development I couldn't have imagined.

On the other hand, there is absolutely no way to know how much of these dispatches are real, and how many are astroturf. Not to mention the fact that all of the attention given to Twit in this context just furthers the idea that journalism is irrelevant, and, in effect, everyone is a journalist. That's just complete nonsense on both counts.

Meanwhile, I haven't felt moved to post even once since creating my account. Sorry, I just can't say or write "tweet." Just too gratingly cute.

Funny you should mention Facebook. Am I the only one who fell off his chair when, during the reg process, they blithely asked for my email password? Umm...excuse me, WHAT?!!! You want me to let you scrape my entire address book, without the consent of the people who trust me with their email addresses? I'm supposed to blindly trust that you aren't going to sell or otherwise misuse this information? That you aren't going to make some stupid mistake and disclose all of this information to Mr. Hacker and his best friend Mr. Spam?

HHHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLLL NO!!!!!

It's probably a reflection of my age, but I am yet to be convinced that social networking is, on balance, a good thing.

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #69 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am yet to be convinced that social networking is, on balance, a good thing.

It isn't.

I do not Twitter, Facebook, Myspace or anything else. Head-Fi is the only forum I'm a member of. No IM's and barely any email. If someone wants to get in touch with me, they know where I am, I'm not hard to find.

That said, if you choose to use Twitter or anything else, more power to you.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #70 of 103
All this "keep in touch" talk. What is so hard about "keeping in touch" by picking up a phone and calling?
There is nothing enjoyable about telling everyone what I'm doing all throughout the day.

I think if you are so self-absorbed to think everyone gives a crap what you are doing 24-7 and feel the need to broadcast it online you should be sent on a 1-way trip to the moon. This twitter nonsense is out of control.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #71 of 103
No Twitter.
No Facebook.
No MySpace.

I belong to a few forums, but am most active here. I like email, phone calls and actually visiting people.

For the life of me, I can't see the point of Twitter. Yes, I've heard all that stuff about it being live, real time, etc. etc. etc., but why bother? If you need to get information to someone, text or email them. You're not limited to 140 characters and you're not going to get your information harvested by a company that is probably angling to make money off you.

Twitter smells like a passing fad. Perhaps the 21st century CB radio. Everyone does it but no one is listening.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #72 of 103
twitter to me is like the sort of thing u would say to a college or friend you work with. random thoughts or snipits of info, something youve seen etc that you would mention if someon was there but not worth the bother of emailing or texting specific people.

things you would say in passing but since many of us never see people in passing anymore there is twitter

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #73 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It isn't.

I do not Twitter, Facebook, Myspace or anything else. Head-Fi is the only forum I'm a member of. No IM's and barely any email. If someone wants to get in touch with me, they know where I am, I'm not hard to find.

That said, if you choose to use Twitter or anything else, more power to you.

I will confess to using MySpace as a way of finding and keeping track of musicians I like. My profile is private, and I don't accept friend requests from non-musicians. All of my "friends" are musicians I am interested in.

Most of the bands on my list are great about updating their live performance schedules, and most of them also post their music in either streaming or downloadable form. So MySpace has worked out well for me for that one purpose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Twitter.
No Facebook.
No MySpace.

I belong to a few forums, but am most active here. I like email, phone calls and actually visiting people.

Wow, actual human contact is so...unsanitary.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the life of me, I can't see the point of Twitter. Yes, I've heard all that stuff about it being live, real time, etc. etc. etc., but why bother? If you need to get information to someone, text or email them. You're not limited to 140 characters and you're not going to get your information harvested by a company that is probably angling to make money off you.

Twitter smells like a passing fad. Perhaps the 21st century CB radio. Everyone does it but no one is listening.

I've been involved in technology for more than 20 years and Twitter is unique among all of the startups I've seen. Not only have they failed to come up with a way to make a profit, they have failed to come up with a way generate revenue at all. Either some behemoth like Google will buy them as traffic bait, or they will just go away. I'm thinking the latter is the more likely outcome.

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #74 of 103
I find it interesting that there seems to be quite a lot of people here who are indifferent to Twitter (or micro-blogging) ... or maybe the people who do use it just haven't responded. I would have thought with the user base of Head-Fi, people who have above average acceptance of technology (and internet related services), there would be a great propensity to try (and accept) new web services.

My personal experience with social media is more or less limited to Facebook and Twitter and I find one can be quite passive in keeping a Facebook account and still have it work while Twitter needs a great deal more effort to update and make friends.

I registered a Twitter account more than 1 year ago but found it completely useless as I am not the type of person who follows people I don't know and vice versa. My account is private (locked) too. 6 months ago, I joined a company with an IT head who actively encourages staff to use Twitter to share new and interesting web related info (design, business, anything really). That's why I started using it more. Once you have a a group of friends and acquaintances who use it more, it becomes more useful ... but the default web based version of Twitter hardly makes it interesting to use. More hardcore users download clients (TweetDeck, Seismic, etc) and use mobile apps (I use the free TwitterFon on iPhone) to fully access the account. We used Twitter to communicate during Gmail's outage a few months ago (it hit Hong Kong at the end of the work day when we receive most emails) via direct messages and searched real time tweets on Gmail's status and work arounds (the problem seemed to be related to multiple inboxes and the then new themes - disabled, we could access low bandwidth version of Gmail).

From my parents' point of view, Facebook is mainly for passive viewing of family photos. My family is spread all over the world so it makes it convenient for them to see image updates of relatives. Both over 70 and living in another country, they like Twitter too because it makes them feel they "know" what is going on in their my life, even when tweets are like what I had for breakfast, whether I had a long day and ended up with a headache etc. Thing is with proper emails and phone calls, we seldom engage in these mundane topics - I mean I ain't gonna call my mum and tell her I had a nice cake for tea or have a headache now. But I might tweet ...

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #75 of 103
No. I also don't have facebook or myspace pages. I don't even maintain my linkedin profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back