Do u have real-life friends in this hobby?
Jan 15, 2009 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
In my college i feel kinda lonely to discuss audio stuff coz not many are into this hobby so when i have the audio discussion cravings in person.. i head off to jaben sometimes
biggrin.gif

what about u guys?

do u have anyone in your place with whom u can discuss audio related stuff?

or head-fi your only place for salvation?

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 84
Yep. A few. My wife loves my vintage technics system too, which is nice. She was supportive as I slowly built the system over a year, planned everything, then built my home theater desk to house it all. Now she comments on how bad most people's sound systems are.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 84
One, a fellow metalhead too though he is into speakers (he does use Grado SR80 in his portable though). He appreciates good audio equipment, but he isnt audiophile so at the moment his equipment isnt acoustically optimally positioned and his rig is based on 5.1 system as he is also watches movies in it. He is planning to rethink his rig placement and taking acoustics into consideration but nothing serious.

At the moment, he has Onkyo amplifier, Wharfedale speakers (diamond 9.1 rear speakers and some floorstanders on front, i dont remember the model) and Velodyne 12" subwoofer.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 84
I've met another Head-Fier through this forum, but other than that everybody thinks I'm absolutely nuts for pursuing audio equipment like this.

Then they compliment how good my headphones sound.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 84
I have 1 1/2 friends that are audiophiles of some type.
One has a really nice home system and senn 650s, and the other thinks hes an audiophile, but isnt...lol, but i appreciate the effort.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 84
Yup, a fellow college student who introduced me to Head-Fi. Also, my dad is pretty knowledgeable about hi-fi, so we talk about it sometimes.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 84
More or less Head-Fi only!
I have a couple of friends who are into audio, but speakers only. One running his own company, installing sound systems in clubs, restaurants, bars, gyms, private homes, ... He's a hardcore BOSE lover though, so not much in common there.

Short. I am the only close around me who are all into headphones.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 84
Isn't head-fi real life? Or is it fake?
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 84
Most of my friends think I am an idiot to spend more than 20€ on just headphones. Also don't say you bought a DAC.
redface.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 84
I feel your pain. none of my friends or family give a crap about audio. I pretty much have no one to talk to about it in the flesh. thank god for meets. the worst part is that you Really have to lobby and validate new equipment to you "significant other". we need a head-fi frat house. a place where paying at least $600 bucks for a cd player is not cause for castration.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #14 of 84
Even better, I've made real life friends through head-fi and other similar forums. Go to meets, socialize, get to know people. There are lots of interesting people with diverse lives and interests. Love of music and audio is a great basis to make friends.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 84
My Brother (who introduce me to head-fi), is the only person which I cant talk about audio, he gave me my first Cmoy and a pair of Senns HD540 Reference II.

The bad thing is that he lives in Houston, Tx and I live in Guadalajara, Mexico. Anyway I talk with him frequently via phone, just yesterday he discuss about the Senns HD800 and how we need to start saving, LOL.

He also buys all my gear in US and then send it to me here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back