Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter?
Nov 1, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #646 of 1,128

Quote:

Indeed. And they don't have a good control - that is to say, they don't show that their Epson projector has the resolution to show those details at all, so they cannot say for sure that the cables are why it is blurring.

Exactly.  Projector is about the worst possible choice for eyeballing differences even if the projector choice was or wasn't the best.  You get diffusion varying over ranges unlike a static screen w/ a set pixel density.

As to the comments about science being it's own animal apart from logical philosophy the nuance has again been lost if you believe that.  Scientific method is wholly derivative of logic as is Binary language even.  There is no obfuscating unless one is trying to straw man the point into some notion of post modern linguistic deconstruction or whatever else.  To put it more simply and clearly consider the differences between these two propositions.

One-Based on the following experiment, no perceived measurable deviation has been found to account for any perceptible differences among the cables tested.
Two-All cables sound the same.

Which of the two is applying logic and the scientific method?

The two propositions also do not say the same thing though many here seem to think so.  To make the leap from proposition one to proposition two you have to make a subjective leap based on inductive logic.  Not that there is anything wrong with that if you actually recognize it and understand the difference.

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #647 of 1,128
I agree, saying all cables sound the same is nonsense and contributes nothing to the debate. Anaxilus, we agree........
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #648 of 1,128

Quote:
I agree, saying all cables sound the same is nonsense and contributes nothing to the debate. Anaxilus, we agree........
bigsmile_face.gif

We do agree quite often though it's not always apparent.  A lot gets lost is the morass.  
wink_face.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #651 of 1,128
Oh, there are craploads of things that affect human senses! I believe Sennheiser's annual report this year has an article on how what you are hearing affects taste, whilst we're at it.

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #652 of 1,128
Very interesting. The study was by Heriot Watt University

http://www.sennheiser-annualreport.com/home/en/the_palate_has_ears.html

It seems very reasonable then that sight can also affect sound.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #653 of 1,128

Quote:
Very interesting. The study was by Heriot Watt University

http://www.sennheiser-annualreport.com/home/en/the_palate_has_ears.html

It seems very reasonable then that sight can also affect sound.

No wonder those Beats can sound so great to some people.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #655 of 1,128
I now say that the answer to the original question is yes, they do matter, to some people some of the time in some systems. But they are not guranteed to work for anyone and even when they do the results will potentially be different for different people.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #656 of 1,128

Quote:
I now say that the answer to the original question is yes, they do matter, to some people some of the time in some systems. But they are not guranteed to work for anyone and even when they do the results will potentially be different for different people.

That's about the most accurate statement on the matter I've read.  In celebration I've decided to offer this informative video:

Nov 5, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #658 of 1,128
gs1000.gif
Yipee!

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #660 of 1,128
Quote:

Care to speculate as to the mechanism behind such differences?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back