Do headphones survive in cold weather?
Jan 29, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #16 of 37

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my HD25s survive anything. The cable does get stiff as a board, though.  I think that was when wearing them in -15C weather.

Yeah, I was wearing my TF10s this winter, and I noticed that if I took them out of my ears, I could hold the iPod and the headphones would extend straight out. Pretty cool stuff.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #17 of 37

Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure my HD25s survive anything. The cable does get stiff as a board, though.  I think that was when wearing them in -15C weather.

Yeah, I was wearing my TF10s this winter, and I noticed that if I took them out of my ears, I could hold the iPod and the headphones would extend straight out. Pretty cool stuff.

ya i was using my pioneer se m390 headphones that have a very thick cord. and they were really stiff i was worried they would snap. keep in mind this was -10 weather.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:
Condensation seems like something to think about though, I don't think moisture and drivers go well together.

It shouldn't be a risk unless there are exposed wires or joints close enough to each other (a couple mm apart or less) to risk shorting from condensation. Maybe more dangerous for IEMs, but if they're in your ears, they're going to be warmer from body heat.

In the worst case, it's probably enough to leave the headphones unpowered for a couple minutes while they reach room temperature. Hundreds of thousands of headphones are shipped in subfreezing temperature every year, en route from warehouses to stores and from stores to customers (nevermind the used sales going on via Ebay and Head-Fi), and none of them are the worse for wear because of it.

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #19 of 37
So far so good, other than my XB cushions becoming disgustingly hard...nothing harmful :)

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #20 of 37
And they are ear muffs. 
basshead.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #21 of 37
Jan 30, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #22 of 37
I use HD428's as earmuffs in sub -40c weather and they stand up to it much better than I thought they would.
I'm sure you'll be fine in -10c, its not even that cold lol

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #25 of 37

Quote:
I use HD428's as earmuffs in sub -40c weather and they stand up to it much better than I thought they would.
I'm sure you'll be fine in -10c, its not even that cold lol

geez tahts cold i have never seen colder then -20C and i'm in canada. where do you live that it gets that cold.

never mind i just looked but i don't understand how anyone can stand to live that far north. it usually gets to anywhere between 5 to -5 where i live in the winter and it gets to highs of 40C in the summer.

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #26 of 37
I do know for a fact that in -80C when you pour hot tea, it freezes before it hits the ground.

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 37
Sorry, I haven't been online much lately.
In -40c, luke warm water won't freeze in the air, but it does freeze when it hits the ground. However, if you throw it up in the air, then most of it will turn into ice mist.

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #28 of 37

geez tahts cold i have never seen colder then -20C and i'm in canada. where do you live that it gets that cold.

never mind i just looked but i don't understand how anyone can stand to live that far north. it usually gets to anywhere between 5 to -5 where i live in the winter and it gets to highs of 40C in the summer.

Where do you live? I live in Edmonton and it went down to -30s this year, with
About -40 wind chill
EDIT: BC isn't Canada weather.... :mad:

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #29 of 37

Quote:

Where do you live? I live in Edmonton and it went down to -30s this year, withAbout -40 wind chillEDIT: BC isn't Canada weather....
mad.gif

ya its 6C right now. and i am loving the wonderful weather of bc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back