DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 21, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #631 of 4,449
Quote:
hmmm after reading quite a bit now i'm seriously considering this amp or the WA22 as an upgrade to my wa6-se/wa2 (after tax refund + maybe selling HE-500 or something)..... since i really enjoy my T1, HD 800, LCD-2 the most and it seems this amp drives all 3 really well.

Donald, i saw that you do not want to make the amp in the traditional black/silver cause blue is a fun unique color for an amp. but, is ferrari red or hot pink a la colorware a possibility? 
tongue_smile.gif

Although I obviously haven't heard the Stratus which has piqued my interest now, I have heard the WA22 and the WA6SE. Seriously no questions asked I'd just get a Stratus and be done as you said in another thread it's more of an end game amp. The WA22 just does not sound right with the HD800's that nauseating treble is still there actually dare I say with the tubes in the WA22 I heard it was more present than stock.

+1 on suggestion of a black Stratus if Donald ever goes down that colour path. Even red will be cool. Blue and White stripes....
size]

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #632 of 4,449
thanks.

and i always heard how good the WA22 is with the HD 800, i am considering the WA22 cause cheaper and alot of my tubes are compatible. do you think from hearing the amps theres a difference between 22 and 6-se, or are they too similar sounding?

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #633 of 4,449
Quote:
thanks.

and i always heard how good the WA22 is with the HD 800, i am considering the WA22 cause cheaper and alot of my tubes are compatible. do you think from hearing the amps theres a difference between 22 and 6-se, or are they too similar sounding?

I ran balanced and balanced to se adapter for the WA22 and WA6SE respectively. The WA22 lacked body with the HD800's, instrumentation and music effects were too distant to each other in the already large expansive soundstage of the 800.

Surprisingly I didn't find the WA22 to be warm sounding at all but I felt there was always something lacking with it, not coherent hard to tell as I'm not up to date with the audiophile terminologies. The detail extraction was just ok with the 800 but I knew that more could be heard from a more synergistic and a different league amp.

Also another thing to add is that I found no sound differences whatsoever running balanced and se compared to each other. I think the only Woo that would be a big step up from the WA6SE would be the WA5LE or something such as running balanced from Woo's prototype monoblocks but the price on those is unbelievable.

The WA22 is close to 2k (or 2k here) may as just throw in some extra cash and get something good enough that will last you a long while to come. Getting the WA22 mean's that itch to upgrade will still reside because the sound in my opinion don't live up to the price. Build quality and aesthetics of the WA22 is extremely nice though, something Woo products get a lot more praise about.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #634 of 4,449
Thanks for  your suggestion. Blue is my favorite color and has become my signature look with the amplifiers. If I were to offer the option of custom (non-black or silver) colors in the next batch of chassis, this would be on a case-by-case basis with a cost premium. Let me think about it...
Quote:
Donald, i saw that you do not want to make the amp in the traditional black/silver cause blue is a fun unique color for an amp. but, is ferrari red or hot pink a la colorware a possibility? 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #637 of 4,449
Well, I for one hope that Donald sticks to his guns with his color being a big part of the brand. However, if he offers one in a different color, I will swear on a silver litz cable that my blue one sounds better.

"There is something in the blue paint that causes a more synergistic, coherent, and detailed sound that doesn't exist in that red one that I heard at RMAF. I think it's the viscosity of the red paint that dampens the resonance of the body which transfers directly to the power supply."

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #638 of 4,449
I have the Sonett and think the blue is nice. However -- disclaimer here -- I like blue in general though and I would listen to a PVC pipe if it had well implemented circuit with great components inside. Actually, how about it, Donald? 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #639 of 4,449
Quote:
hmmm after reading quite a bit now i'm seriously considering this amp or the WA22 as an upgrade to my wa6-se/wa2 (after tax refund + maybe selling HE-500 or something)..... since i really enjoy my T1, HD 800, LCD-2 the most and it seems this amp drives all 3 really well.

tongue_smile.gif

I'm considering the Stratus or WA22 as well but due to cost constraints I'll end up getting the WA7 or Fosgate signature amp before :/

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #640 of 4,449
Quote:
Thanks for  your suggestion. Blue is my favorite color and has become my signature look with the amplifiers. If I were to offer the option of custom (non-black or silver) colors in the next batch of chassis, this would be on a case-by-case basis with a cost premium. Let me think about it...

If I had a preferred color other than blue for the Stratus, I would be willing to pay a premium to get my unit in that color. However, I can hardly imagine any alternative (plain) colors that would fit the overall aesthetics of the Stratus better than the default blue when I think about it, in particular after I received mine. The Stratus looks better in real life than in any photos that I've seen. ( Photos posted by third_eye in this thread come the closest. But, still, almost but not quite...)

A Stratus in pure black would not look right to me. Maybe in sparkle black? Or, maybe, a Stratus in a wooden chassis finished with deep rosewood toned lacquer (I think I would be willing to pay a premium of up to $1000 for this one 
size]
)? 

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #645 of 4,449
Quote:
I ran balanced and balanced to se adapter for the WA22 and WA6SE respectively. The WA22 lacked body with the HD800's, instrumentation and music effects were too distant to each other in the already large expansive soundstage of the 800.

Surprisingly I didn't find the WA22 to be warm sounding at all but I felt there was always something lacking with it, not coherent hard to tell as I'm not up to date with the audiophile terminologies. The detail extraction was just ok with the 800 but I knew that more could be heard from a more synergistic and a different league amp.

Also another thing to add is that I found no sound differences whatsoever running balanced and se compared to each other. I think the only Woo that would be a big step up from the WA6SE would be the WA5LE or something such as running balanced from Woo's prototype monoblocks but the price on those is unbelievable.

The WA22 is close to 2k (or 2k here) may as just throw in some extra cash and get something good enough that will last you a long while to come. Getting the WA22 mean's that itch to upgrade will still reside because the sound in my opinion don't live up to the price. Build quality and aesthetics of the WA22 is extremely nice though, something Woo products get a lot more praise about.

Sorry, but IMO, "body" is one of the greatest strengths of the WA22; especially with the HD800s. Had this discussion a few years back with Skylab and he agreed they were a fantastic pairing. But then, it really depends on the tubes used (just like most tube amps). That said, I'd love the hear the Stratus...looks very intriguing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back