DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 4, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #482 of 4,464
Quote:

Are the EML 2A3s you're using mesh or solid?

I am using the EML 2A3 mesh plates. I am very happy with them. With that being said, I would be EQUALLY happy with some alternative 2A3s that would (still) tame a little bit more edges compared with the EML 2A3 mesh plates.

I have yet to try the EML 2A3 solid plates. But I suspect these will add more edges compared with the mesh plates. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #483 of 4,464
Quote:
1) Is it safe to replace the 5U4G tube with a 274B? Any impressions on 274B? I notice that Shuguang is offering their own 274B which copies the design of the very famous West Electric 274B. Do you think it is safe to try one of these Shuguang 274B on the Stratus? A product page of them  can be found via the link below: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-Shuguang-WE274-Rectifier-Vacuum-Tube-1-1-WE274B-Brand-New-/221176983450?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item337f2cef9a

2) Are the metal based 5T4 tubes compatible with the Stratus? Any impression on them for using on the Stratus?

3) What would be your upgrade recommendations for the stock 6N1P tube? Some of you have had good result with the RCA 6BQ7A. Are there any other alternatives? What about tubes like 12AT7, 12AX7, 12AU7, or 12BH7? Are they safe to be used on/compatible with the Stratus?

Thank you!

Re: Rectifiers.  I've also asked Donald if one can use the 5U4GB in the Stratus and have not received an answer.  What about these two rectifiers, Donald: 274B and 5U4GB; will they work in the Stratus?

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #484 of 4,464
Looks like this is the way I'm going to go.  I have a lot to learn about tubes.  How important is it to roll the input and the rectifier tubes?  Which are good ones for the HD800?  Yes, this is going to be a rig desinged around the HD800s.  For DACs I was looking at the:

Stockhom v2
EE mini max plus
Lampizator??  Have to do more research on this.  How much?  where to purchase.. things like that.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #485 of 4,464
I think there is benefit to rolling the input and rectifier tubes, I'm suing RCA 6BQ7A and RCA 5U4G. Got both NOS from ebay vendors for about $50 total. Another alternative to the EML mesh is the Sophia Princess 2A3. I'd like to try the EML's someday but for now am really happy with the Sophia's. Regarding DAC's, I'm not sure this sort of rig needs a tube DAC......I'd be concerned about losing a little transparency and detail. The ideal solution may be to audition a few dac's with the rig to get the right synergy for your needs.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #486 of 4,464
Quote:
I think there is benefit to rolling the input and rectifier tubes, I'm suing RCA 6BQ7A and RCA 5U4G. Got both NOS from ebay vendors for about $50 total. Another alternative to the EML mesh is the Sophia Princess 2A3. I'd like to try the EML's someday but for now am really happy with the Sophia's. Regarding DAC's, I'm not sure this sort of rig needs a tube DAC......I'd be concerned about losing a little transparency and detail. The ideal solution may be to audition a few dac's with the rig to get the right synergy for your needs.

I got that covered for now.  With the PWD2, NAD m51, Master 7, Buffalo III.  Friends D2 and Hilo.  But no Tube DACS.  I guess I just want to hear the difference.  If there is one.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #487 of 4,464
Wow
biggrin.gif
Yes, you are covered!! I'd be very interested in your impressions of these DAC's with the Stratus/HD800 if and when you assemble this rig. I auditioned the Hilo and preferred my m903 but would like to hear more DAC's.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #488 of 4,464
+1 on not needing a tube dac for the Stratus. I have the latest rendition of the Lampizator and it's best with SS amps and very clinical tube amps.  I find my super resolving W4S Dac2 best for the Stratus.

Quote:
I am using the EML 2A3 mesh plates. I am very happy with them. With that being said, I would be EQUALLY happy with some alternative 2A3s that would (still) tame a little bit more edges compared with the EML 2A3 mesh plates.

I have yet to try the EML 2A3 solid plates. But I suspect these will add more edges compared with the mesh plates.

If you can get your hands on any NOS Ken-Rad 2A3s they will knock the edges off.  And knock you off your chair!

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #489 of 4,464
Quote:
+1 on not needing a tube dac for the Stratus. I have the latest rendition of the Lampizator and it's best with SS amps and very clinical tube amps.  I find my super resolving W4S Dac2 best for the Stratus.

If you can get your hands on any NOS Ken-Rad 2A3s they will knock the edges off.  And knock you off your chair!

Is your W4S Dac2 stock/modded?

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #490 of 4,464
Modded to the point of not really being a W4S any more, so I guess I should qualify that.  About the only thing stock about is the Sabre DAC chip.  Done by Kyle Takenaga, who unfortunately doesn't do the mods anymore...  But the point would still stand for any DAC known for clinical resolution.  That backing the Stratus is quite sublime...

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #493 of 4,464
You guys are killing me here. My Stratus is scheduled to be built this month, if it's not already being built, and I can't stop thinking I should ask Donald to upgrade the tubes. This hobby is draining my bank account. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #494 of 4,464
Quote:
You guys are killing me here. My Stratus is scheduled to be built this month, if it's not already being built, and I can't stop thinking I should ask Donald to upgrade the tubes. This hobby is draining my bank account. 

Maybe better to let Donald ship it to you stock, burn-in the caps and transformers, then start replacing tubes. You will hear the differences for yourself, and then you will have that great feeling of knowing that your dollars were indeed well spent!

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back