DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Feb 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #452 of 4,463
Quote:
I got in a couple of RCA NOS 6BQ7A input tubes over the weekend and I do prefer these over the stock input tube. They are a touch smoother and retain great clarity. I continue to be amazed everyday by the Stratus/HD800. Simply magical.

You've got my vote on that, too!

I'm still looking for the "best" interconnect for the M1 DAC-to-Stratus connection. The Stratus sings with everything I've tried, and every cable sounds just a bit different, sometimes a little nearer, sometimes a little more "romantic or a little more "detailed". The best aspect is the phase accuracy of the Stratus, which enables the 3D stage to just pop out with a good cable using either the Sophia Princess or the EML solids. And the ability to switch between 2 inputs and drive 2 headphones makes it fun! 

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #453 of 4,463
Yesterday at the CHANGfest meet in the SF bay area, I got to hear the TH900s - they are outstanding headphones!

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #454 of 4,463
Quote:
Yesterday at the CHANGfest meet in the SF bay area, I got to hear the TH900s - they are outstanding headphones!

Lucky you! I'd love to hear the TH900 - especially with my Stratus!!!

My LA7000 was my favorite headphone with my Sonett. The Lawton Audio upgrades made the AH-D7000 seem like a whole new product - especially with the "custom" tuning Mark did for my ears. Back then the total was $1800. I made a direct comparison of the LA7000 with the D7000, and the improvements were very obvious.

But I've been using almost entirely open headphones with my Stratus, in order to keep my tinnitus at bay - HD800, T1, LCD2v2, HE-6.

When I read your post, Donald, I naturally googled TH900 - and look what I found
http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page68.html

Mark's been at this awhile. He knew that the Denons were made by Fostex. He opened up the TH900 and found almost all the same structural components as in the D7000, and now he offers the same upgrades - so it can be a $3000 headphone and sound even better!

Hmmm.

Yes, that was the sound of my ears buzzing - haha.

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #458 of 4,463
Quote:
Yes, the TH900 is another headphone I'd love to try with the Stratus. In the meantime, I've having so much fun with the HD800s. I wish I could custom color them to match the Stratus, but that would mean a new set from Colorware.

blink.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #460 of 4,463
Quote:
I was kidding folks. 
wink_face.gif

Just a little tongue in cheek comment after finding out that you have to buy new HD800s to have them painted. Having said that, I really like the all black and glossy black and white versions. Very cool looking.

Powder blue HD800's would be somewhat amusing.  

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #463 of 4,463
I owned the sonett for a while and enjoyed my time with it.

Does anyone know - or perhaps Mr. Donald North can chime in - can the stratus be fitted with preamp outputs?

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #465 of 4,463
Definitely not an option on the website - it would require different windings on the OPT...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back