DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Nov 3, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #3,931 of 4,456
Wondering if it is only me or a common issue. I find my EML 2a3 Meshs played weird impulse sound and replaced them with a new set but the problem is still there. EML indicated that the issue may be related to the compatibility of 2a3M to a headphone amp, and 2a3S most likely to be fine.

I haven't had this issue. Is there a length of time it takes for it to occur? How much time on the tubes?

Nov 3, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #3,933 of 4,456
I know there are many (including me) who have used the EML 2A3 meshplates in the Stratus without problems. I have had the same pair for a number of years and used on and off without any problems. One of my favorite tubes. That's a real head scratcher if other 2A3 tubes work fine but two different sets of EMLs have had the same problem. Is the sound in both channels equally?

Nov 3, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #3,935 of 4,456
I know there are many (including me) who have used the EML 2A3 meshplates in the Stratus without problems. I have had the same pair for a number of years and used on and off without any problems. One of my favorite tubes. That's a real head scratcher if other 2A3 tubes work fine but two different sets of EMLs have had the same problem. Is the sound in both channels equally?
Usually on one of the channels. Maybe I should also send the amp to check.

Nov 6, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #3,940 of 4,456
They are literally new tubes. The sound shows up rather randomly, but most of the time after a short period of heating, and can disappear and return...Maybe a burn-in can solve the problem.
I have had a pair of EML 2A3 meshplates which would start silent and after a few minutes of operation start making a sputtering sound. Some people have also had this problem with some Psvane tubes.

I’m happy to take a look at your amp and tubes. Email or PM me to discuss further.

Nov 6, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #3,941 of 4,456
I have had a pair of EML 2A3 meshplates which would start silent and after a few minutes of operation start making a sputtering sound. Some people have also had this problem with some Psvane tubes.

That has been my experience with my EML 2A3 Mesh. Now that I am up to about 800 hours it happens infrequently. When it does happen it is not audible over the music and goes away within 10-15 minutes.

Nov 6, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #3,942 of 4,456
I never made the connection that a "weird impulse sound" might be what I call sputtering. If that is the sound, then like others I have experienced it. I am waiting for a replacement EML 300B 2.5 that has that problem. And, I had a lot of problems with Psvane tubes having that issue. But here's a weird thing - after going through a bunch of replacement Psvane tubes that all seemed to have the same problem, I just gave up. I couldn't sell them so I just put them in a drawer and forgot about them. Two years later I remembered them, put them in my system and not a peep. Similar experience with my KR 2A3s - they were super microphonic. Even touching the volume control could set them off. Same thing - put them away for more than a year - tried them again and they are probably 25% as microphonic as before. I have no idea why this occurs.

Nov 6, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #3,943 of 4,456
I never made the connection that a "weird impulse sound" might be what I call sputtering. If that is the sound, then like others I have experienced it. I am waiting for a replacement EML 300B 2.5 that has that problem. And, I had a lot of problems with Psvane tubes having that issue. But here's a weird thing - after going through a bunch of replacement Psvane tubes that all seemed to have the same problem, I just gave up. I couldn't sell them so I just put them in a drawer and forgot about them. Two years later I remembered them, put them in my system and not a peep. Similar experience with my KR 2A3s - they were super microphonic. Even touching the volume control could set them off. Same thing - put them away for more than a year - tried them again and they are probably 25% as microphonic as before. I have no idea why this occurs.
I think sputtering is the right word haha, sorry for my poor vocabulary :joy:

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #3,944 of 4,456
There is a new tube factory in China. Some of Psvane's engineers left and started Linlai. They are now producing a Acme Supreme competitor in their Elite series. Went to Grant Fidelity website this morning to buy a pair pair of Acme Supremes and ordered them plus a pair of the Linlai Elites too.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #3,945 of 4,456
Interesting, probably will order some 845s to try out.

Interestingly, looks like Grant Fidelity is actively requesting reviews of the Lin Lai versus Psvane tubes. Looks like a fairly strict set of conditions and possible manufacturer approval, though. With all the restrictions & previous tube reviews required one wonders why a reviewer wouldn't just post their thoughts elsewhere.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back