DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Nov 12, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #3,946 of 4,462
I have those tubes and do not seem to have the issue you are describing.

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #3,947 of 4,462
They are literally new tubes. The sound shows up rather randomly, but most of the time after a short period of heating, and can disappear and return...Maybe a burn-in can solve the problem.
Have you ruled out external factors?
1. Move the amp somewhere else in case there's electromagnetic interference and check again.
2. Do the pins feel tight when you insert the output tubes with no wiggling whatsoever? A poor contact could do what you're describing.
3. Does the same happen with no input connected? Had an issue once where the dac would pick up my pc's CPU noise when it was working and could hear it. Weird thing USB wasn't even selected, just plugged in.
4. When this happens gently poke the glass and see if it goes away even if just for a moment. If it does it's probably the tube or tube/amp contact.

Dec 12, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #3,951 of 4,462
Hi,

Has anyone tried to modify the voltage by their own, is that easy? Considering do it by myself or send to donald.

Thanks
Why not call or shoot Donald an Email? You are in California according to your forum registry and so is he. Why do you want to modify the voltage?

Dec 12, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #3,952 of 4,462
Why not call or shoot Donald an Email? You are in California according to your forum registry and so is he. Why do you want to modify the voltage?
Actually I already did, it may took 1 week or 2 weeks I guess(Christmas is coming). And I am not living in LA any more(I moved to Seattle) but now back to China, not sure how long will be here but yeah want to modify the voltage to 230V instead of 110V to meed my daily demand on listening.
Usually the amp(apex, zotl) I have used before is quite straightforward with voltage modification(usually just flip some switch inside then it will change). However, DNA seems needed more work so asked here. If I could not guarantee the modification then will direct to Donald for sure.

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #3,953 of 4,462
Actually I already did, it may took 1 week or 2 weeks I guess(Christmas is coming). And I am not living in LA any more(I moved to Seattle) but now back to China, not sure how long will be here but yeah want to modify the voltage to 230V instead of 110V to meed my daily demand on listening.
Usually the amp(apex, zotl) I have used before is quite straightforward with voltage modification(usually just flip some switch inside then it will change). However, DNA seems needed more work so asked here. If I could not guarantee the modification then will direct to Donald for sure.
Just a quick update: Donald helped with the modification and big thanks to him.
Really great guy and very helpful, also replying to emails patiently. It is pretty nice to talk with him. Glad to be Stratus owner. :)

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #3,955 of 4,462
Do DNA owners prefer single ended or balanced? I heard with Sennheisers 800 balanced is the way to go, but with other headphones it's a toss up. What is your guys experience?

I find balanced is noticeably better with the Focal Utopia. Better instrument separation, wider staging. This may give the impression of a slightly more diffuse sound signature.

Dec 18, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #3,958 of 4,462
I have mostly chosen balanced XLR terminations for both my systems. With the exception of my Oppo PM 3 and HD 660S which have 4.4 balanced termination Norne Silvergarde cables in addition to their Norne custom balanced XLR cable. They just sound better balanced.

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #3,959 of 4,462
Drawing on the initial question regarding Balanced, which of the two do you prefer and what are the noticeable differences? I am deciding upon a new cable termination and uncertain which output I should request, 4-pin XLR or Dual 3-pin XLR. Appreciate any insight.
Headphones are ZMF and Audeze.

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #3,960 of 4,462
Drawing on the initial question regarding Balanced, which of the two do you prefer and what are the noticeable differences? I am deciding upon a new cable termination and uncertain which output I should request, 4-pin XLR or Dual 3-pin XLR. Appreciate any insight.
Headphones are ZMF and Audeze.

I've not heard anyone prefer one to the other in terms of sound quality. I would get 4-pin just for convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back