DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Sep 23, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #3,826 of 4,456
Please, Mr. Bowtieguy, clean your tube sockets. Then you will not have pops and clicks. Cleaning tube sockets and tube pins at least every 3 to 4 months is mandatory minimum maintenance for a tube amp . It could be worse. My speaker amp has 16 tubes and my preamp has 4 tubes.

Sep 23, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #3,827 of 4,456
Hi All,

I have a question about 6N1P tubes. I've been the owner of a DNA Stratus for about 6 years, but have recently run into a problem with my 6N1P tube, and wonder if anybody has experienced anything similar. About 4 months ago, I started getting a hissing from my headphones (Sennheiser 800s; since replaced by Sennheiser 800Ss). I switched the 6N1P tube and the hiss disappeared, but about a month later I began getting popping noises in the right channel. About 2 months after that I began getting a constant crackling sound in the right channel. So I switched in a new 6N1P tube again, and all was blessedly silent for 2 weeks. Now I'm getting popping noises in the right channel. Are 6N1P tubes so vulnerable, or might this be something else? Donald looked over my Stratus in June and found nothing wrong with it. Thanks!

Was the Stratus quite for the first hour it was turned on? And the noises happened when the Stratus has been turned on for a while? I've also experience similar problem.

Sep 24, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #3,828 of 4,456
@Bowtieguy, if I were you I would spray deoxit in the pins and insert the tube 4-5 times and repeat once or twice. There's no other way to clean a noval base that I know of. Tube dampers won't help in the slights unless it's a microphonic tube. You can try to put something heavy on the 6N1P like a lead ring to the tube sits firmly. You might have to be created but be careful of the temperature.

Sep 24, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #3,829 of 4,456
Has anyone tried this 300B 2.5v mesh from Sophia? Are there any comments on how it sounds?

300B2.5V_1296x.jpg

Sep 24, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #3,830 of 4,456
Was the Stratus quite for the first hour it was turned on? And the noises happened when the Stratus has been turned on for a while? I've also experience similar problem.
It actually started pretty much as soon as I turned on the Status. But the consensus here is that I need to clean and readjust the tube, which I am in the process of doing. Many thanks!

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #3,833 of 4,456
There ain't nothing like a blue babydoll in your rack!! Congrats!!

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #3,835 of 4,456
The Sophia Electric mesh is one if the more highly praised tubes for the Stratus.

I assume you mean "mesh" as a general term regarding Sophia's line of fine tubes. I thought this Sophia "mesh" 300B 2.5v as a new tube for 2019?

I don't mean to take anything away from your comment as it's certainly true.

Let me add that your new Stratus is certainly beautiful and Donald has spent year's perfecting it. Congratulation's.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #3,836 of 4,456
I assume you mean "mesh" as a general term regarding Sophia's line of fine tubes. I thought this Sophia "mesh" 300B 2.5v as a new tube for 2019?

I don't mean to take anything away from your comment as it's certainly true.

Let me add that your new Stratus is certainly beautiful and Donald has spent year's perfecting it. Congratulation's.
Sorry, I was under the impression that was the Sophia Electric Princess with a black base. It looks quite similar.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #3,837 of 4,456
Thanks KC. Love your avartar name by the way.

Another interesting (to me anyway) tube from Sophia is a blue glass classic 300b. This is Sophia's version of the Western Electric 300b. Introduced in the 1930's, the WE is known for it's legendary, magical mid-range. The tube was designed for cinematic voice reproduction. The problem was they had limited frequency extension and bass reproduction. Sophia claims to have addressed these sonic deficiency's over the year's. They also have their aqua blue 274b rectifier which you can read more about on the site.

They're not cheap, starting at $699.99 they progress up to $999.99. There are different option's of warranty coverage and an A or B class choice . When I asked Sue about the A and B designation's she informed me that tested Grade A is closer to the perfect benchmark result tube, otherwise both are great tubes from the same production. The mark up in price is substantial but I have learned to trust that while measurements don't change a specific sound signature they can assure one that they are hearing the tubes at their best.

The 274b rectifier on the other hand is relatively inexpensive. There are some review's on site and from what I read the western electric pt's excel at vocal's. According to the review's it can be down right spooky.

I love my Acme Series 2A3's which also excel at vocal reproduction and have a great mid-range as well. The Sophia Princess 2A3's and KR RK rectifier also rock my boat but in a different way.The Sophia 300b should sound much different than either though. I hope someone will take a chance on these and post some feedback. Be sure and ask for the 2.5v version instead of the 5v.

Sophia Classic (western electric) 300B 2.5v's.
classic_300B_2_1296x.jpg

A pair of Aqua blue 274B's.
Rectifier Aqua Blue.jpg

Sophia Electric Tubes website: https://sophiaelectric.com/collections/vacuum-tubes

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #3,839 of 4,456
A couple of posts in this thread from 2013 mention favorable impressions of the Sennheiser HD580 w/ the Stratus. I second those comments. Out the Blue (pun intended:)) I plugged my HD580s in and was pleasantly surprised. Crazy good for a low to mid priced HP (mine were $100 used). What a remarkably good soundstage - HD800ish. If you have the chance this combination is worth a listen.

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #3,840 of 4,456
Well, it's been an age since I've been on the forum. With various moves, I've been out of circulation for a while! When I got back from the USA, my stratus was only playing on one channel. I narrowed it down to one of the tube sockets for one of the 2a3's. My stratus was one of the older ones with the previous sockets. Donald was kind enough to send me a couple of the newer style sockets and I had a go at replacing them myself. I havent done a whole lot of soldering, but I got there in the end, and now have two channels! It wasn't pretty but sounds great now. I've done a lot of tube rolling over the past 3-4 years and I think the sockets get a bit loose over time.

Hopefully things should be good for another few years. Was reminded of how nicely wired this amp is!
stratus 3.jpg
stratus 2.jpg
stratus 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back