DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Nov 8, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #3,676 of 4,456
Always use a grounded power cord and A.C. outlet.

From experience, if you hear noise while turning the volume control, either the amp is being fed some DC into the pot and/or the input tube is not getting a good electrical connection with the socket, most often caused by tube rolling and wearing out the socket clips.

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #3,677 of 4,456

From experience, if you hear noise while turning the volume control, either the amp is being fed some DC into the pot and/or the input tube is not getting a good electrical connection with the socket, most often caused by tube rolling and wearing out the socket clips.
Thanks for the response. I will see if I can eleviate these issues.

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #3,678 of 4,456

The thing is though, is that my power chord is grounded and I have not swapped tubes at all since I have gotten the unit. So I'm still confused as to what it can be. I'll investigate to see if it is the AC a bit more.

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #3,679 of 4,456
Is it a new amp or an older one. You can gently bend the tube's pin's outward to make better contact. Use an old tube first to see if there's a difference. I'm no expert, and don't want to go against what Donald told you, but it really sounds to me that your pot may need to be lubricated.

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #3,680 of 4,456
Is it a new amp or an older one. You can gently bend the tube's pin's outward to make better contact. Use an old tube first to see if there's a difference. I'm no expert, and don't want to go against what Donald told you, but it really sounds to me that your pot may need to be lubricated.
Definitely new. Received in Dec. 2017

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #3,681 of 4,456
It honestly does not bug me at all tbh. I never get any sort of noise while playing, only when I physically touch the volume knob itself.

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #3,684 of 4,456
Didn't care for the EML solid at all in the Stellaris or Stratus. Sounded too polite and muffled especially compared to the highly dynamic KR. Decent low end and mids but ultimately too boring to my ears. For that price I would rather get the Ken Rad smoked glass and keep the change.

Nov 13, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #3,685 of 4,456
Barely have 50 hours on my Stratus. About the time mine was delivered, I got a message from Brian ( auricgoldfinger) offering tube advice and very nice tubes for sale. I ended up buying two Ruby Tiger Select 6N1Ps. I jumped at the offer even though I have two sets of 6BQ7s and three pairs of other very nice 6N1Ps. Remembering what Donald has said in the past, that the input tube, the 6N1P has the greatest influence on the Status's sound, I rolled a Ruby Tiger Select into my stock tubes. After an hour or so, my Senn 800S picked up more little details and was quite a bit more dynamic. I will give it another 150 or so hours before I try rolling my NOS rectifiers and 2A3s.
CURIOUS??? has anyone tried the new Senn 820s on the Stratus??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back