DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Oct 17, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #3,661 of 4,456
What are the best headphones to pair with the Stratus? We all know that the HD 600, 800 and 800S sound great on the Stratus. Are there any other headphones that shine when driven by the Stratus?? HD 660 ?, Beyerdynamic? ???????????
I use unmodded HD800, HD650, and my beloved Utopia. The Utopia is the best with the amp, sounding detailed, dynamic, and a little sweet all at the same time. HD650 and HD800 are both great in their own ways, but Utopia is a whole new level of performance. Need to mod the HD800 with SDR though, so my opinion might change with the HD800. Have not tube rolled yet, getting to that soon.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #3,662 of 4,456
I just have to ask what did you do to your HD 650s for mods to get them where they are today?
It's basically KISS mod but I don't use any foam at the back of the driver. Also I have my own custom cables.

@auricgoldfinger, have you...you know...Stellaris?

Oct 17, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #3,663 of 4,456
I use unmodded HD800, HD650, and my beloved Utopia. The Utopia is the best with the amp, sounding detailed, dynamic, and a little sweet all at the same time. HD650 and HD800 are both great in their own ways, but Utopia is a whole new level of performance. Need to mod the HD800 with SDR though, so my opinion might change with the HD800. Have not tube rolled yet, getting to that soon.

If you mod your Senns well, you will sell your Utopia's. I promise :)

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #3,667 of 4,456
Hey for anyone that is using or has used Utopia with the Stratus, I was wondering if you preferred the -6db attenuation or the 0db attenuation? I am trying to test them out and have found it interesting. The 0db is more intimate and is slightly warmer to my ears, while the -6db has better staging and imaging, but is not as warm to my ears.

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #3,668 of 4,456
Hey for anyone that is using or has used Utopia with the Stratus, I was wondering if you preferred the -6db attenuation or the 0db attenuation? I am trying to test them out and have found it interesting. The 0db is more intimate and is slightly warmer to my ears, while the -6db has better staging and imaging, but is not as warm to my ears.

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #3,669 of 4,456

Are you still using the stock tubes? What other 2A3 tubes do you have?

I will be using a HD800, HD650 and LCD-2F when I get the Stratus.

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #3,671 of 4,456
My Headphone system's wire loam. The white wires that you see are Wywires Platinum. There ia also a 688 TG Audio powercord on the Oppo.
fullsizeoutput_11d9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_11d9.jpeg

Nov 8, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #3,673 of 4,456
I've never experienced noise on my Stratus just by touching the volume knob. What kind of noise do you hear?

Regardless, my suggestion is to send Donald an email.

Nov 8, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #3,674 of 4,456
I was curious if anyone was experiencing any issues with regards to the volume adjustment on the Stratus outputting noise when you touch it. Does that mean the volume adjustment itself is not grounded?

I have experienced the same last week. I mostly do the small volume changes with my DAC (Auralic Vega), above 80% volume this shouldn't audibly deteriorate the sound. This way I can use the remote (I'm often bound to bedtime listening due to being too busy at work, and my rig is only reachable from my desk).

So I often leave the Stratus' volume pot in the same position for extended periods.

I have the impression though that the noise lessened/disappeared after turning the pot all the way a few times repeatedly.

This makes me think oxidation rather than a grounding issue. Maybe the father of our jewels can chime in on this? @Donald North

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #3,675 of 4,456
I experience the exact same thing with the volume knob on my Stratus as well. Sounds like crackling or static when turning the knob. As CoLdAsSauLt mentioned, it lessens and then eventually fades away as the volume knob continues to rotate throughout the entire range of volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back